Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmw007

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I am considering purchasing an iBook G3.
I plan on buying a brand-new top of the line PowerBook when they receive the intel processors next year (June/July). But for the time being I thought that I should buy a used iBook G3 to use till the new PowerBooks come out.

It will mostly just be used to run M$ Office (mainly Word and a little Excel).
I am thinking about bringing it with me to class to type notes and using it on the road when I travel.

Here is a link to the one that I was thinking about buying-
http://www.powermax.com/cgi-global/generate_css_temp.cgi?p=c-u58708

The Specs are as follows:
12.1 iBook G3
800MHz PowerPC Processor
256MB RAM (expandable to 640MB)
30GB HDD
CD-ROM
running both Mac OS 9.2.2 and 10.2.4.
price- $519

Does this seem like a good deal? Will the iBook perform decently or will it be too slow to enjoy? Would I be better off waiting till the new ones come out?

Thanks for the input and advice. :)

durvivor

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
This one is not a good deal.

dmw007 said:
12.1 iBook G3
800MHz PowerPC Processor
30GB HDD
CD-ROM
price- $519
Does this seem like a good deal? Will the iBook perform decently or will it be too slow to enjoy? Would I be better off waiting till the new ones come out?

Lets put the G3 question aside for a minute. This G3 you linked too is not a good deal.

First, Don't buy an iBook with just a CD-ROM. It will cause you problems, e.g. Tiger came out on DVDs. CD's were available, but you had to go through a special step just to get the CDs. So, don't get a Mac with CD-ROM. It should at least be able to read DVDs.

Now, a brand new 12" iBook G4 from Amazon.com is $999 - $100 MIR = $899. So, with this used machine you'd only be saving $380...

Your better bet, might be to consider getting the brand new iBook for $899 and in a years time, it should at the very least have a resale value of say... $500 bucks... (like your used G3 your looking at) So, getting the new iBook and keeping it for a year would cost you $400 bucks or $33 a month. Something to consider.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
dmw007 said:
I am considering purchasing an iBook G3.
I plan on buying a brand-new top of the line PowerBook when they receive the intel processors next year (June/July). But for the time being I thought that I should buy a used iBook G3 to use till the new PowerBooks come out.

I am thinking about bringing it with me to class to type notes and using it on the road when I travel.

12.1 iBook G3
800MHz PowerPC Processor
30GB HDD
CD-ROM
price- $519

sounds good to me. but i'd try to even go cheaper. I mean apple sells returned laptops at their store for $800 (retail outlet) with faster processors, better graphics....on and on. for three hundred extra it might be better to pick one of those up. but then again im always being led forward by that slightly higher upgrade margin for the better model. i hate that.

dmw007

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
durvivor said:
Lets put the G3 question aside for a minute. This G3 you linked too is not a good deal.

First, Don't buy an iBook with just a CD-ROM. It will cause you problems, e.g. Tiger came out on DVDs. CD's were available, but you had to go through a special step just to get the CDs. So, don't get a Mac with CD-ROM. It should at least be able to read DVDs.

Now, a brand new 12" iBook G4 from Amazon.com is $999 - $100 MIR = $899. So, with this used machine you'd only be saving $380...

Your better bet, might be to consider getting the brand new iBook for $899 and in a years time, it should at the very least have a resale value of say... $500 bucks... (like your used G3 your looking at) So, getting the new iBook and keeping it for a year would cost you $400 bucks or $33 a month. Something to consider.

Well, I have to agree w/ you on the CD issue. I guess that I would be better of hunting for a 'Book with a combo drive (or at least a DVD drive). Plus I do enjoy watching movies on the go (hence, a need for a combo/dvd drive).

I thought about getting a 12" iBook G4, but I am only going to use it for ~6 months and then I was going to give it to my sister (trying to convert her to Apple). So, the G3 would seem a better deal. Otherwise, I would have to agree with you.

Do you know anyplace else that I could find an iBook G3 for a better price?

dmw007

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
beatle888 said:
sounds good to me. but i'd try to even go cheaper. I mean apple sells returned laptops at their store for $800 (retail outlet) with faster processors, better graphics....on and on. for three hundred extra it might be better to pick one of those up. but then again im always being led forward by that slightly higher upgrade margin for the better model. i hate that.

I know exactly what you mean. When I was looking to buy a Power Mac G5 I was originally going to buy the dual 2GHz model. But the thought of faster processors, faster fsb, twice the RAM, etc..., got to me.

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
dmw007 said:

12.1 iBook G3
800MHz PowerPC Processor
30GB HDD
CD-ROM
price- $519

You may want to try eBay. :D

Here's why I think this is not such a good deal:

1. That price is a little high and no combo/superdrive.

2. NO Installer disks with the machine. :eek: Bad News! :mad:

3. You don't need OS 9!! :p or dual boot! ;)

4. Need more RAM. :)

5. Where the hell is "Tiger", it's supported. :rolleyes:

Just my humble opinion. :D

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
dmw007 said:
Well, I have to agree w/ you on the CD issue. I guess that I would be better of hunting for a 'Book with a combo drive (or at least a DVD drive). Plus I do enjoy watching movies on the go (hence, a need for a combo/dvd drive).

I thought about getting a 12" iBook G4, but I am only going to use it for ~6 months and then I was going to give it to my sister (trying to convert her to Apple). So, the G3 would seem a better deal. Otherwise, I would have to agree with you.

Do you know anyplace else that I could find an iBook G3 for a better price?

Find the cheapest, crappiest g3 cdrom you can get on eBay, Craigslist, whatever. Swap out a superdrive with its internal drive (your painstaking labor, ibooks are hard to break open). You can get a superdrive around 135 shipped if you are diligent. Then its resale value will be higher etc when you want to get the PB -- OR you can take out the superdrive and sell it and sell the g3 iBook with OEM stats.

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
California said:
Find the cheapest, crappiest g3 cdrom you can get on eBay, Craigslist, whatever. Swap out a superdrive with its internal drive (your painstaking labor, ibooks are hard to break open). You can get a superdrive around 135 shipped if you are diligent. Then its resale value will be higher etc when you want to get the PB -- OR you can take out the superdrive and sell it and sell the g3 iBook with OEM stats.

...........too much......................like.....................WORK! :D

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
yenko said:
...........too much......................like.....................WORK! :D
I fully agree. I have a g3/500 that I was planning on upgrading, until I read the instructions at pbfixit.com. If I need to use a DVD I can always use an external fw drive. You should also be able to install Tiger that way I would think.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
Most LCDs lose their brightness after 2 years. It gets nasty sometimes...

It depends on the wear from the previous user. Just something else to think about.

Cheers.

durvivor

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
LEM

Low End Mac has a nice updating deals guide for iBooks

http://www.lowendmac.com/ibook/ig3deals.html ( link here )

Keep an eye out there, I saw some nicer G3s on that page. As always be aware of how Tax and Shipping may affect the price.

I recently searched high and low for a used 12" ibook for my darling wife, its a hard thing to do because your on the wrong side of the Mac Value Equation. e.g. "Macs hold their value" is normally a great thing to say, but as a buyer, it sounds like a threat.

My parents brought me up to believe that used things should be worth at least 1/2 of what they were new. Cause you don't have warantee, parts are used and worn, etc. But, a brand new G4 with 512 ram video card that supports CORE (maybe on the 12" for sure on the 14") thats a sweet machine, and it costs $900...

A couple of times during my search I tried this argument with folks on Craigslist, but it has never worked.

New iBook = $900. Cost to put a new battery in a used ibook = $125. Cost to put 512ram into a used iBook = $80. Cost to put airport into used iBook $80. G3 processor is 33% slower (wild guesstimate) than a new G4. So, reduce the cost of a new one by 33% =

$900 - $125 - $80 - $80 - $297 = $318 as a fair price for a used G3.

And, you still don't get a warantee.

durvivor

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Hurry, Apple just released new Refurbs

Refurbished iBook G4 1.2GHz/ 256MB/ 30GB/ Combo/
AP Extreme Card/ E/ 56K/ 12-inch TFT

$749.

This is only $229 more than you were ready to spend. For your $229 you get so much more. You will be so much happier with this G4. Your sister in a year will be so much happier with this G4.

Run, don't walk to the Apple Clearance Section.

dmw007

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Thanks for all of the advice & suggestions! :)

Guess that I will have to re-think my idea of buying a iBook G3. I would buy a refurbished iBook G4, but it just does not seem worth the $$$ for a laptop that I will only use for a few months and then give away. That is why I thought a G3 would be a better (albeit a slower) alternative.

Still, I guess that I would be better off just using my PeeCee laptop for two more semesters... :(

Thanks again for the input! :)

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
dmw007 said:
... but it just does not seem worth the $$$ for a laptop that I will only use for a few months and then give away. That is why I thought a G3 would be a better (albeit a slower) alternative.

Think of your poor sister - you're trying to convert her to using Macs? Is it not worth a couple of hundred $$ to not saddle her with an aging G3?

dmw007

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
allisonv7 said:
I've been thinking about getting an older, pre-owned ibook as well and was looking at this site the other day, they seemed to have decent prices. I've never dealt with them before so you may want to do some additional research before actually purchasing.

http://www.macofalltrades.com/Apple_Notebooks_s/5.htm

allison.

I have checked out macofalltrades.com out, their prices seem to be on target with powermax.com and the like. No personal experience dealing with them, but I have heard good reports from others who have.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
dmw007 said:
Thanks for all of the advice & suggestions! :)

Guess that I will have to re-think my idea of buying a iBook G3. I would buy a refurbished iBook G4, but it just does not seem worth the $$$ for a laptop that I will only use for a few months and then give away. That is why I thought a G3 would be a better (albeit a slower) alternative.

Still, I guess that I would be better off just using my PeeCee laptop for two more semesters... :(

Thanks again for the input! :)

If it's between a G3 and a PC, go with the G3. I do agree with you about only needing a G3; altough I always seem to buy the best all the time, I only do that because I need to computers I buy to last me awhile. My friend's G3 is still working great for her after a year or so, since she only uses office and ilife.

dmw007

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
SummerBreeze said:
If it's between a G3 and a PC, go with the G3. I do agree with you about only needing a G3; altough I always seem to buy the best all the time, I only do that because I need to computers I buy to last me awhile. My friend's G3 is still working great for her after a year or so, since she only uses office and ilife.

Same here, I usually buy the best all the time. But I just wanted something to last me a few months with out requiring a big investment of money.

Performance is not a huge issue as I have my Power Mac G5 to use. :)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
This is sort of bizarre, but the last time I went into my local CompUSA, they had a 'manager's special' on an iBook G3 so it would come w/ at least a one year warranty I suspect... Why not take a gander at a CompUSA and see if you get 'lucky?'

dmw007

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
devilot76 said:
This is sort of bizarre, but the last time I went into my local CompUSA, they had a 'manager's special' on an iBook G3 so it would come w/ at least a one year warranty I suspect... Why not take a gander at a CompUSA and see if you get 'lucky?'

Thanks for the advice/suggestions devilot76! :)

Unfortunately, there are no nearby CompUSA stores near my house, but I will have to check out their website.

hechacker1

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2005
UCSD, LA Jolla, CA, USA
How about a windows machine? I am in the same situation as you. I didn't want to buy the current powerbooks because they are destined to by obsolete. I waited for the regularly occuring Dell rebates and bought myself a new Inspirion 700m. It was 1501 (configured) - 750 = about 820 shipped. More expensive than what you are looking for, but at the same time I think you'll be happy with the 700m long enough to maybe even wait for the rev 2 of the new powerbook (or at least to let the intial bugs get worked out of the new powerbooks).

For around 800 you really can't find a better deal on a small and fully featured laptop. As for windows, you'll have to live with it, and since your mainly using it for Word anyways i really don't see a problem. I personally installed linux on my 700m and use that most of the time. (although windows is still there).

EDIT: just read your sig. and I see you already have a laptop.. so yeah, just stick with that.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
You already have THE MACHINE, so all you need is an affordable portable
but it would help to have one fully compatible with your G5.

You'll probably be waiting till at least June to see an Intel based PowerBook
and then take your chances with a Rev A product line.

Really, your best choice would be a new 12" iBook or a late model refurb.

If you're not happy with it, you'll always be able to find a buyer.

A G3 really just can't handle most of todays software system requirments.

At $949 ( education )
The convenience of a NEW 12" iBook will cost you about $40 a month over 24 months.

At $1499 a New 12" PowerBook would cost you $62 per month over the same period.

If you figure a 3 or 4 year TCO, you're not risking anything getting
a better machine now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.