Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2011
London
I'm a casual gamer who plan to upgrade from a PS3 to a high-end console. I mainly plan on playing racing games, GTA and COD. I have a daughter under the age of 2 so lengthy single player exclusives aren't a priority.

I have a 4K TV and love eye candy. I know the Xbox One X is cable of native 4K and that the Pro uses checker boarding. However, it's up to developers to exploit the hardware or develop for the lowest common denominator e.g Xbox One and PS4.

Some people say the difference between Pro and One X isn't big. However I have seen comparisons that shows that for some games the lightening, detail and anti-aliasing is better on the One X. While on other games the difference in minimal. I do recognize that we are at the early stage to developers optimizing for the high-end consoles.

Price is a factor but I currently happy to wait for a price drop in 3-6 month time.

Arguments for PS4 PRO
GranTurismo
Exclusive titles
Considerably cheaper(Until inevitable One X price drop)

Arguments for Xbox One X
Halo
Native 4K
UHD Player

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
One X is more powerful but is more expensive and if plan playing casual games than yeah ps4 pro is the right choice but if ur like me and are a car guy and like playing racing games one X is the right choice i would recommend to wait until nxt year because i think that sony might release a competitor for the one x maybe nxt year if planing to get the ps4 pro if ur planing on buy the one x like me than wait utill end of nxt year for the one x prices to drop i am on Xbox 360 right now

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
Wouldn't 2018 bee too early for a successor to the PRO which is considered a One X competitor even if their power isn't on par.

It really isn’t the one x way better than the ps4 pro if played on the both console u will know the difference clearly

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
One X is more powerful but is more expensive and if plan playing casual games than yeah ps4 pro is the right choice

GT Sport, casual? Nah man the physics are fabulous. All assists off and it's just wonderful.

OP, as you're doing racing my vote is for the PS4 Pro. GT is still the king.

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
GT Sport, casual? Nah man the physics are fabulous. All assists off and it's just wonderful.

OP, as you're doing racing my vote is for the PS4 Pro. GT is still the king.

It is not forza is better the horizon and the motorsports are just to good(except for the sound) gt sport doesn’t even have a proper car list compared to forza

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
It is not forza is better the horizon and the motorsports are just to good(except for the sound) gt sport doesn’t even have a proper car list compared to forza

Physics > car list. No competition if the OP's serious about racing games. ;)

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
Physics > car list. No competition if the OP's serious about racing games. ;)

Ur just a fanboy forza has better physics by a mile i played both games side by side back to back and forza was more realistic than gt sport and it had many more cars

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Wouldn't 2018 bee too early for a successor to the PRO which is considered a One X competitor even if their power isn't on par.

Sony likely will not be coming out with a console in 2019. As you said, the PS4 Pro has more exclusive titles at the moment. In order to even take advantage of the true power of the Xbox One X, A 4K/HDR TV would be A huge advantage to notice the 4K resolution and graphics.

In my opinion, 2018 will be a big year for games, and I have not upgraded to the Xbox One X yet, but I plan on doing so shortly. They are widely available everywhere, but they're not going to be very many discounts until likely next year.

I personally don't think the Xbox One X is for everyone, and even Phil Spencer from Microsoft stated that this console really is not going to be For every gamer, because not everybody has a 4K TV to truly appreciate everything the X has to offer.

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Ur just a fanboy forza has better physics by a mile i played both games side by side back to back and forza was more realistic than gt sport and it had many more cars

GT Sport is widely accepted as having the most realistic physics. Physics meaning how the car handles with throttle input/steering and how it reacts: not its damage modelling, its graphics, or the number of cars there are. Forza is pretty arcadey in comparison. Therefore I believe it is the PS4 is the better choice for the OP.

However this Forza vs GT argument has been going on since the beginning of time and many will disagree. I just chimed in with my opinion. The OP has both sides and there are plenty of pros/cons for each console, so they can weigh it up from there. :)

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
GT Sport is widely accepted as having the most realistic physics. Physics meaning how the car handles with throttle input/steering and how it reacts: not its damage modelling, its graphics, or the number of cars there are. Forza is pretty arcadey in comparison. Therefore I believe it is the PS4 is the better choice for the OP.

However this Forza vs GT argument has been going on since the beginning of time and many will disagree. I just chimed in with my opinion. The OP has both sides and there are plenty of pros/cons for each console, so they can weigh it up from there. :)

Have u even driven a car in real life? My took the ek9 and drove it in forza and said that it handles like it is in real life cuz he used to own one cant tell anything about the gt sport because it doesn’t have one forza and gt sport in terms of physics are very similar just forza edges as portrays real life handling of a car better than gt sport this is clearly seen when driving the Lamborghini huracan is both games both very similar and based on what i heard about the huracan forza is just more realistic it is kinda arcadey in a sense that anyone can jump in and be a good driver in like a week of practice but really forza is just a bit better in portraying how the car handles in real life gt sport has better sounds graphics and cars are bit more detailed than forza I’ll give jt that but the short car list and the physics just don’t cut it for me at least,forza is the winner here hands to the ground

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2011
London

I'm a petrol head and have a Driving Force GT wheel with aftermarket paddle shifters. I have used it to play NFS Shift 2, F1 2010 and 2012 on the PC, and more recently GT5 on a PS3 I picked up for chips. GT is much more sophisticated than NFS Shift 2 and I would be a bonus to play GT going forward.

However, this time, I won't get a wheel and am happy to take a holistic view on the choice of console. Therefore I wouldn't feel like 'm missing out if I had to "settle" for Forza.

So feel free to share any pros and cons that are not apparent on the specs sheets or in reviews.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I'm a petrol head and have a Driving Force GT wheel with aftermarket paddle shifters. I have used it to play NFS Shift 2, F1 2010 and 2012 on the PC, and more recently GT5 on a PS3 I picked up for chips. GT is much more sophisticated than NFS Shift 2 and I would be a bonus to play GT going forward.

However, this time, I won't get a wheel and am happy to take a holistic view on the choice of console. Therefore I wouldn't feel like 'm missing out if I had to "settle" for Forza.

So feel free to share any pros and cons that are not apparent on the specs sheets or in reviews.
You don't need to get another wheel. Buy a Collective Minds DriveHub. I bought a G29 for GT Sport myself, then bought an Xbox One X and the drive hub to use the wheel on both consoles (and PC). Works great.

As to which console, since you stated that you enjoy eye candy, I would go for the X. In some games, the X has a huge advantage over the Pro, such as Rise of Tomb Raider. Since I hate money as much as I hate having to make a choice :confused: I have all the consoles plus a semi-dedicated PC with a 1080Ti that I move to my 4K TV to games sometimes.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2011
London
You don't need to get another wheel. Buy a Collective Minds DriveHub. I bought a G29 for GT Sport myself, then bought an Xbox One X and the drive hub to use the wheel on both consoles (and PC). Works great.

As to which console, since you stated that you enjoy eye candy, I would go for the X. In some games, the X has a huge advantage over the Pro, such as Rise of Tomb Raider. Since I hate money as much as I hate having to make a choice :confused: I have all the consoles plus a semi-dedicated PC with a 1080Ti that I move to my 4K TV to games sometimes.

Wow. I didn’t know about the DriveHub. Does it work as advertised? Are there bugs or calibrated ration issues? That could be a game changer for me as I am unwilling to spend money on a new wheel when I already have one.

Good to know that you find some games to look better than on the Pro as the quality difference can’t be hard to judge on a 1080p screen. Unfortunately YouTube on Apple TV doesn’t support 4K making comparison videos harder to fully appreciate.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Wow. I didn’t know about the DriveHub. Does it work as advertised? Are there bugs or calibrated ration issues? That could be a game changer for me as I am unwilling to spend money on a new wheel when I already have one.

Good to know that you find some games to look better than on the Pro as the quality difference can’t be hard to judge on a 1080p screen. Unfortunately YouTube on Apple TV doesn’t support 4K making comparison videos harder to fully appreciate.
Yes works as advertised. Full force feedback support. It evens allows you to mix and match different wheels and pedal sets. It absolutely is a game changer. I might even splurge for one of the higher end wheels in the future.

I have rise of tomb raider on all 3 platforms including PC. The Xbox one X version is the only one that supports HDR, so even compared to the PC it looks great. Check out Digital Foundry on YouTube. They have a PS4P vs XB1X comparison on tomb raider. Even on a 1080p screen you can clearly see how much sharper the 1X version is.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2011
London
Yes works as advertised. Full force feedback support. It evens allows you to mix and match different wheels and pedal sets. It absolutely is a game changer. I might even splurge for one of the higher end wheels in the future.

I have rise of tomb raider on all 3 platforms including PC. The Xbox one X version is the only one that supports HDR, so even compared to the PC it looks great. Check out Digital Foundry on YouTube. They have a PS4P vs XB1X comparison on tomb raider. Even on a 1080p screen you can clearly see how much sharper the 1X version is.

I signed up to digitalfoundry.net and downloaded 4k comparisons, each ranging from 3.5-7GB, to my MacBook which I playbacked on my 4K TV(Non-HDR) using Plex on the ATV. The visual of either console look amazing compared with the compressed 1080p videos on YouTube.

Assassins Creed Origin is spectacular on the One X. Graphics, motions, textures and clarity are superb. However PRO is very close. The bump in resolution, sharpness and texture is mostly noticeable when the comparison zooms in 400-800% or when sitting an arms reach from the TV. However it's marginally because the extra performance budget of the One X isn't fully exploited in order to preserve a decent frame rate.

Although the One X can natively run 4K, some games use dynamic resolution which diminishes the difference between it and the PRO. Sitting on the couch 2-3 meters from the TV, the difference between the two is difficult to discern - more so if you are playing and focused on the task at hand.

The difference is much smaller than PS2 vs 360 or even original Xbox One to PRO. I probably need a bit more convincing that the One X's extra power give discerning real life difference. However, the One X has the added benefit of a UHD player which is valuable to me as 4k movies on the ATV are less immerse due of the lack of DTS-HD Master Audio.

I have read endless praise for the PS4 about exclusive games. Are they really a big of a deal and which are the top 3 that makes the PS$ worth getting - excluding Grand Turismo which surprisingly looks better than Forza.

Last edited:

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I signed up to digitalfoundry.net and downloaded 4k comparisons, each ranging from 3.5-7GB, to my MacBook which I playbacked on my 4K TV(Non-HDR) using Plex on the ATV. The visual of either console look amazing compared with the compressed 1080p videos on YouTube.

Assassins Creed Origin is spectacular on the One X. Graphics, motions, textures and clarity are superb. However PRO is very close. The bump in resolution, sharpness and texture is mostly noticeable when the comparison zooms in 400-800% or when sitting an arms reach from the TV. However it's marginally because the extra performance budget of the One X isn't fully exploited in order to preserve a decent frame rate.

Although the One X can natively run 4K, some games use dynamic resolution which diminishes the difference between it and the PRO. Sitting on the couch 2-3 meters from the TV, the difference between the two is difficult to discern - more so if you are playing and focused on the task at hand.

The difference is much smaller than PS2 vs 360 or even original Xbox One to PRO. I probably need a bit more convincing that the One X's extra power give discerning real life difference. However, the One X has the added benefit of a UHD player which is valuable to me as 4k movies on the ATV are less immerse due of the lack of DTS-HD Master Audio.

I have read endless praise for the PS4 about exclusive games. Are they really a big of a deal and which are the top 3 that makes the PS$ worth getting - excluding Grand Turismo which surprisingly looks better than Forza.
You really can't go wrong with either the Pro or the One X. Either will look fantastic on your 4K TV. The only game I have across all 3 platforms is Tomb Raider, and that game I can see a clear difference. Running the enrich mode on the One X looks far sharper than the Pro also running in enrich. Other than that though, a lot of the analysis videos from Digital Foundry, depending on the title the differences are so slight that it's almost like splitting hairs.

However slight the differences are in some titles, the One X is ultimately the more powerful console, and Sony did make the choice a bit easier by omitting 4K Bluray capability from the Pro. So if I did had to choose between one of them, it will be the One X.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I'm a casual gamer who plan to upgrade from a PS3 to a high-end console. I mainly plan on playing racing games, GTA and COD. I have a daughter under the age of 2 so lengthy single player exclusives aren't a priority.

I have a 4K TV and love eye candy. I know the Xbox One X is cable of native 4K and that the Pro uses checker boarding. However, it's up to developers to exploit the hardware or develop for the lowest common denominator e.g Xbox One and PS4.

Some people say the difference between Pro and One X isn't big. However I have seen comparisons that shows that for some games the lightening, detail and anti-aliasing is better on the One X. While on other games the difference in minimal. I do recognize that we are at the early stage to developers optimizing for the high-end consoles.

Price is a factor but I currently happy to wait for a price drop in 3-6 month time.

Arguments for PS4 PRO
GranTurismo
Exclusive titles
Considerably cheaper(Until inevitable One X price drop)

Arguments for Xbox One X
Halo
Native 4K
UHD Player

What are your thoughts?

For your games PS4 Pro, for eye candy Xbox One X.

The Last Of Us and the latest Uncharted games are great on the PS3, but the Xbox also has great games like GOW and Forza and Halo Wars.

If you like COD however best get the platform your mates use if you play with them online.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2011
London
For your games PS4 Pro, for eye candy Xbox One X.

Would you know anything about up and coming games that will fully exploit the One X's extra power? Even with patches, most games look marginally sharper and better shadowed.

Will it always look just a notch better than the PRO or will developers be inclined to create extra textures, animation etcs for the PRO.

I'm looking to make a decision this week as my girlfriend has allowed me to buy the PRO as a Christmas/January birthday gift. She's getting a new handbag.

Little does she know that I will need to slap on an extra £40-60 for an annual online gaming subscription :D

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Would you know anything about up and coming games that will fully exploit the One X's extra power? Even with patches, most games look marginally sharper and better shadowed.

Will it always look just a notch better than the PRO or will developers be inclined to create extra textures, animation etcs for the PRO.

I'm looking to make a decision this week as my girlfriend has allowed me to buy the PRO as a Christmas/January birthday gift. She's getting a new handbag.

Little does she know that I will need to slap on an extra £40-60 for an annual online gaming subscription :D

No idea, most of the games out now and coming out have been ‘enhanced’ for the Xbox One X, the enhancement patches are big though for some though, like 30 gig or more! Digital Foundry will say it looks better, but they really really really over analyse everything!

Personally, for me, and I prefer my Xbox One S over my PS4, I don’t think the X is worth the extra money unless you also want a 4K blue ray player. I think £450 is too much for a console, I mean the Xbone S was down to £170 ish in the sales! I got my bro in law a PS4 Pro for Christmas for £270 on Amazon! That was a one day offer for about 8 hours though, still I think that’s a bargain!

If you like COD, the PS4 will get things like downloads for it first before the Xbox.

I think for you, unless you are going to glue your eyes to the telly, don’t worry too much about the X and Pro graphics, I mean if you REALLY want eye candy, you’ll have a multi thousand pounds PC with a 12K monitor setup!

It’s my birthday in February, and despite my *cough* age... I will hopefully get money and I plan on getting a Switch, it has the worst graphics of the lot but come on, DOOM ANYWHERE!! Love the idea of that.

I’ll also say, if my bro in law is anything to go by, if you like Gran Turismo, you won’t like Forza as much. I love Forza Horizon as it’s different.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macalicious2011

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I'm a PlayStation fanboy since 1996, so it's obvious which one I would pick.

One reason alone - Naughty Dog

The irony is I probably should have got an Xbox One S. I only use my $200 PS4 slim for multimedia playback to watch my movies and TV shows from an external hard drive.

I will probably pick one up eventually but I'm cool with just one console. I don't want to clutter up my room with more stuff I will rarely use.

Two of my favorite games ever is Final Fantasy VII and Shenmue II. So back in E3 2015, I went nuts like these people below...

2:00 and 6:13 mark

I'm sorry, but I will never love Western developers the same way I had for the Japanese developers from the 1980's-1990's. Sega also has Yakuza series for the PlayStation which plays like Shenmue. There is a charm and amount of detail that the Japanese put in their games which I love. I hate FPS games. Xbone is just a mid-level PC from 2013 with similar genres.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2011
London
A decision has been made!

Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a black PS4 Pro with GT Sport and Knowledge is Power for £299. I also picked up COD WW2. Through a rational decision making process I couldn't find any decisive reasons to pony up more for the One X.

An added benefit of the Pro is that I have 4 colleagues who have a PS4 and play COD together.

Today I also ordered Overcooked Gourmet Edition which seems to be one hell of a cracking Co-op game. A second controller will be picked up soon so that my GF and brother can play it with me over Christmas.

Feel free to suggest any other casual games which are fun to play when you only have 15-30min to play.

I’ll also say, if my bro in law is anything to go by, if you like Gran Turismo, you won’t like Forza as much. I love Forza Horizon as it’s different.

I enjoy both simulation and arcade racing. It depends on the mood I'm in and time I have to play.

Reactions: apolloa

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
A decision has been made!

Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a black PS4 Pro with GT Sport and Knowledge is Power for £299. I also picked up COD WW2. Through a rational decision making process I couldn't find any decisive reasons to pony up more for the One X.

An added benefit of the Pro is that I have 4 colleagues who have a PS4 and play COD together.

Today I also ordered Overcooked Gourmet Edition which seems to be one hell of a cracking Co-op game. A second controller will be picked up soon so that my GF and brother can play it with me over Christmas.

Feel free to suggest any other casual games which are fun to play when you only have 15-30min to play.

I enjoy both simulation and arcade racing. It depends on the mood I'm in and time I have to play.

That reads to me like a good choice. I have no friends on my Xbox. They are all on PlayStation haha. I plan to strip my PS4 down over Christmas and clean it, put some new thermal past in it and hope it’ll run quieter after.... need to carry on with the new Uncharted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.