Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2023
What’s the verdict these days worth the $$ for the 11”. I have the folio case which is good when using in hand on the couch and in bed, can hold one handed so am thinking the Magic Keyboard might be good for all other uses around the house and on the desk/table, and on trips away, having a keyboard, I like using a trackpad with my 24” iMac in my home office, so would be good with the iPad? I don’t want a MacBook as it’s doubling up with macOS.
Can get 10% off and I get tax back so 20% off retail, still $400AUD here but a tax right off.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Value depends on how often the keyboard will be used. If you don‘t have a laptop, then it might be a “game changer” like many report here. However, while swapping between the folio and keyboard case sounds simple enough, so be aware that (for many) putting the iPad in a keyboard case on a desk creates a sort of inertia and it rarely leaves the desk after that. That’s why some people will buy a mini to use after their 11” becomes a laptop desk device.

Reactions: gotong

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I have both the Apple folio case , and the Magic Keyboard. I least carry both in my bag. The folio case sees more usage, but it’s good to have the keyboard with me when I need it.

My biggest gripe is a lack of storage for the pencil - the magnet is not strong enough to carry it like that safely.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2023
Value depends on how often the keyboard will be used. If you don‘t have a laptop, then it might be a “game changer” like many report here. However, while swapping between the folio and keyboard case sounds simple enough, so be aware that (for many) putting the iPad in a keyboard case on a desk creates a sort of inertia and it rarely leaves the desk after that. That’s why some people will buy a mini to use after their 11” becomes a laptop desk device.
I wouldn't need it on my desk as the iPad is in a stand and can swing from my iMac to the iPad with the track pad, whatever that feature it's called.
It's for around the house, table, outside patio. If I wanted a desktop iPad would get the 12.9", 11" is very easy to use in hand no need for a mini. I use it a lot with no case in hand as it's lighter and feels better to hold.

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2023
I have both the Apple folio case , and the Magic Keyboard. I least carry both in my bag. The folio case sees more usage, but it’s good to have the keyboard with me when I need it.

My biggest gripe is a lack of storage for the pencil - the magnet is not strong enough to carry it like that safely.
I don't use a pencil.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
I wouldn't need it on my desk as the iPad is in a stand and can swing from my iMac to the iPad with the track pad, whatever that feature it's called.
Ah, an iPad stand and Universal Control certainly has the desk covered.
It's for around the house, table, outside patio.
And it sounds like you want to use the trackpad in those settings. If not, you could look into a new condition discounted Smart Keyboard Folio for casual use around the house/patio/travel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Surfsalot

OlesyaPetrova

Suspended
Mar 20, 2023
Do you think it's better without a keyboard?

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Do you think it's better without a keyboard?
I personally think for devices that will primarily be used as handhelds or outdoors or at the kitchen table, there are better (more casual and affordable, worry free) options, including the Smart Keyboard Folio or something like the Logi Keys to Go… [edit: After posting this, I actually bought a Keys-To-Go, loved the design, but hated typing on it, kept trying for a couple days, but returned it.]

Edit: or how about using a Mac Magic Keyboard? Then you get the familiar typing experience and a few handy function row keys.

Last edited:

boogiedout

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2014
Hey, I’ve just gotten a knock off Magic Keyboard from amazon ( Doohoeek Bluetooth keyboard with floating design ) not as nice as the real deal but it’s dead on. its £100 vs £300 odd. works like a charm, not too heavy, good for typing and trackpad is great

Propine

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2020
i have both keyboard and folio, i use both but mostly keyboard. it has some minor flaws, but i still think it has added great value to my ipad air 5. i work from a mbp connected to lg ultrafine monitor, but oftentimes i just grab my ipad with keyboard and do some work on a couch or a cafe around the corner. yes i know i can do that with mbp, but it’s bigger

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
For me the Magic Keyboard was totally pointless, but my main productivity device is a Surface Pro 8 which I have in a desk with with a USB-C port replicator. So when on a business trip when I need to use a laptop, I take the Surface instead of the iPad.

For the iPad Pro I only got a Smart Keyboard Folio, and it does great for trips when I don’t expect to use the computer a lot or for when I am browsing but suddenly need to type something in a rush. So for my case it was completely unnecessary, but if you travel a lot for work and it is your main computing device then it could be a god send for you.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I have 11” Magic Keyboard. To be honest, I didn’t use it much recently. I prefer using MacBook Air for writing tasks, zoom etc. Now I use iPad mostly for reading tablet.

Reactions: jerryk

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2015
NY
If you can, wait for a sale or get it from Amazon renewed. I bought my partner a 12.9” MKB and my mom a 11” MKB both Amazon renewed and both came looking like they’ve been opened, but not even used, or used very little. Amazon is also pretty good about letting you return it if you‘re not happy with it.

I personally use my iPad Pro as my main machine, so I use the MKB every time I use my iPad. My mom likes to use hers every now and then. My partner uses it whenever she uses the iPad.

It’s definitely worth the money new to me, but if you’re someone who will use is sparsely, look for an open-box sale or Amazon renewed.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
If you can, wait for a sale or get it from Amazon renewed. I bought my partner a 12.9” MKB and my mom a 11” MKB both Amazon renewed and both came looking like they’ve been opened, but not even used, or used very little. Amazon is also pretty good about letting you return it if you‘re not happy with it.

I personally use my iPad Pro as my main machine, so I use the MKB every time I use my iPad. My mom likes to use hers every now and then. My partner uses it whenever she uses the iPad.

It’s definitely worth the money new to me, but if you’re someone who will use is sparsely, look for an open-box sale or Amazon renewed.
Also, Ebay often has brand-new or open-box Magic Keyboards at nicely reduced prices.

sifpilsen

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Picked up a spotless white Magic keyboard used, half price. Such an improvement over Smart Keyboard Folio. Using with my 4th gen iPad Air.

The keyboard is better ergonomically, and the response from the keys are miles better. The trackpad was also missed on the Smart Keyboard Folio.

It does make the setup heavier, but it can now stand on its own. The extra height is also a bonus for me. All in all? Winwin situation for me.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have the MK for my 11” IPP and use it daily. It definitely is overpriced, but I use my iPad as a laptop during the day on my desk next to my work laptop, so the MK gets daily use during the week and it’s been fantastic to use. At night, I take the iPad off the MK and use it as a tablet with the Apple Smart Folio. Ultimately if you feel you’re going to use it enough to justify the cost, it’s a great compliment to the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.