Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
Hello!

I came here to ask for advice. I wanna buy myself a iPad Mini and currently not sure which storage option I should choose.

I could get a new 64gigs mini for 549€ or a refurbished 256gigs version directly from apple for 719€.

Im planing to use the device most likely at home only. Plan to use it for streaming, media consumption in general, playing a game sometimes, listing to music and read mangas on it.

I plan to keep it for at least 3 years.

Which one is the best option for me? I guess normally the 64 would be already enough for me… right?!

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
For solely streaming 64 should suffice. Personally I tend to keep lots of offline content hence I’d aim for 256.
Yes I would mostly use it for streaming. I would only keep a few games or some stuff on it.

I have 40GB of photos and videos but with the optimisation option on this should be no problem I guess?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
Thanks for the answer. I am not really sure, guess I have to sleep a night over it before I decide. I feel kinda "stressed" when I think about the 64GB version, because of the anxiety that it will be to small. Wish there was a 128 version (like many others said before me) *sigh*

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Apple designed it that way to make more users pay extra. Genshin is an exception in that it's the highest-profile mobile game out there, most games require a couple hundred MB or few GB. If you do play Genshin, well that does half the available free storage instantly, so in that case that might not be enough. If you play a handful of games at once and then delete them as you finish them, you won't run out of storage. If you want to install dozens of them at once, well then you'll run out for sure. It really depends on the games, anything with a lot of high quality textures/graphics will take up space accordingly, many of the typical short-lived arcade games are tiny. I am not sure if you can check the space requirements of apps without having access to an iPhone or iPad...

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I don’t know your use case, but I don’t want you to waste your money. I believe in getting what you need rather than overbuying.

For a content consumption device, I don’t see the need for anything over 64GB.

I actually have 64GB on my iPhone and get along great. Every ~six months, I’ll dump my photos to my hard drive, delete them from my phone, and continue on.

On your iPad, with a little bit of effort and system “upkeep”, I believe you can keep your storage space in the green. Just make sure you have iCloud set to NOT download the original photos to your device, turn on some of the automatic features like “offload apps automatically”, etc.

I hope this is helpful. Please let us know some specific use cases and apps you plan to use if you still are uneasy about it.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Hello!

I came here to ask for advice. I wanna buy myself a iPad Mini and currently not sure which storage option I should choose.

I could get a new 64gigs mini for 549€ or a refurbished 256gigs version directly from apple for 719€.

Im planing to use the device most likely at home only. Plan to use it for streaming, media consumption in general, playing a game sometimes, listing to music and read mangas on it.

Which one is the best option for me? I guess normally the 64 would be already enough for me… right?!

The extra space won’t help you for content consumption. That amount of space is used for pictures or downloaded music and video. If you’re streaming, save the money.

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
Thanks for the answers. I’m still not sure which one to pick unfortunately.

My phone has 90GB~ used, but this is mostly due to 50GB photos and videos (have the optimisation for photos off because I have 256GB iphone) and 20GB iOS and system data. (Maybe also worth to mention that I have the 200GB ICloud subscription)

But I also don’t have any games on my phone, the use for the iPad would be different from my phone (obliviously?) … sooo if the iPad has with 64GB only around 50GB left idk how fast I’ll run out of storage.

On the other hand, when I would pick the 256GB version, I could sell it for a higher price if I ever want to sell it in a few years. Maybe also things to consider..?!

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
Just noticed that a Pro 3 Gen 128GB would actually cost me here only 30€ more (also refurbished directly from Apple) .. I definitely don't want the Pro, but it feels weird to buy the "big" Mini with the big storage when there is the better Pro in almost the exact same price range.

Maybe I'll better stick to the 64 version...

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Just noticed that a Pro 3 Gen 128GB would actually cost me here only 30€ more (also refurbished directly from Apple) .. I definitely don't want the Pro, but it feels weird to buy the "big" Mini with the big storage when there is the better Pro in almost the exact same price range.

Maybe I'll better stick to the 64 version...
keep in mind that the pro has double the RAM. For me the big issue with the mini 6 is precisely the RAM, which causes lots of reloads in Safari. Hopefully the mini 7 will increase the RAM to at least 6GB...

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
Thanks but the bigger iPads are really no option for me tho. I want the mini because of the sweet size and portability. And for my needs I think the ram is totally OK

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Unless you want the smaller size, the refurbished Pro will be better all around. The difference with the speakers is quite big, I even find the stereo M1 Air speakers to be lacking. Same for the performance, the mentioned lack of memory does cause quite a few reloads when multitasking. Though honestly you won't notice that if you stream media and read books. That's very lightweight use. But there is certainly something off about the Mini's current pricing, the hardware is just lacking... it's hard for me to really recommend anything specific since many models are due for a refresh but in some cases cost more right now than at release, in the Euro currency regions. And that's just absurd that you now have to pay a premium for an iPad that's 1.5 years old.

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
Because of the war and € losing its worth, apple did raise the price (I think in October 22) for everything unfortunately. So yes you are right, all iPad where indeed around 100€ cheaper last year. Sooo I guess I am just a little bit late to buy an iPad. But it don’t looks like the prices will go down any time soon again I’m afraid.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
The Euro is currently recovering, but I doubt Apple will announce to lower prices again in the future. In the end they raise prices because they crunched the numbers and know people will keep buying plenty Apple products regardless. You might not be too late, perhaps just too early. The next Mini release should get improved hardware at the same price point, so if you were to wait you could pay the same for the Mini but get a 2023 version instead of that old hardware from 2021... but whether that new iPad releases next week at WWDC or in December 2023, nobody knows for sure. You could wait at least until the announcements next Monday before placing an order for the Mini.

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
I doubt there will be a new iPad Mini this year. Most likely in 2024 as current rumors said. I read somewhere in news from a few days (or weeks?) ago that some famous "Apple rumor guy" said that he thought they would bring a new Mini this year, but its pushed to 2024... But who really knows for sure. 😅

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I had 64GB on my old Mini, not totally full, but not far from. So when I bought a new one last year I took 256GB. I figured if I’m gonna have that also like 4 yrs too, at least. With more space it could be longer now. That was the trouble with the last one. So I want rather be safe then sorry.
No regrets.
So now I will avoid that trouble of starting to clean out because it’s running low of space.

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
I had 64GB on my old Mini, not totally full, but not far from. So when I bought a new one last year I took 256GB. I figured if I’m gonna have that also like 4 yrs too, at least. With more space it could be longer now. That was the trouble with the last one. So I want rather be safe then sorry.
No regrets.
So now I will avoid that trouble of starting to clean out because it’s running low of space.
Makes sense! I also plan to keep it for at least 3 years minimum. The price difference is just a bit huge unfortunately...thats why I am so unsure of which size I should order.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I use a 64gig Mini 5 and it’s very sufficient.
Lots of media consumption, browsing.
A lot of use with Affinity Photo and Designer.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Hello!

Using Mini 6 64GB since release and still having 26GB free…

Unless you having huge music/photo/video library that you need to have on it, 64GB will be fine for your needs.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
64gb isn’t enough. 128gb is the sweet spot, which is why Apple won’t make it the standard storage size.

I would highly recommend getting one with 256gb.

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.