Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
Just wanted to give an update: I ordered the 256GB refurbished from apple directly. I thought that 64GB might be enough for me, but I better have some more space so that I never even have the need to look how much space is left. Just for the peace of mind.

• Love
Reactions: SB1500 and flobach

SB1500

Suspended
Dec 31, 2021
256GB. 64GB is a cruel joke.

The second you get on to Apple Arcade and download a couple of apps (along with a decent selection of essential multifaceted apps we all tend to have installed) and 64GB will fill up quickly. You'll likely always get back the extra spent on the higher storage long into resale value if you sell it on as even used buyers of older models pay a big enough premium for the higher storage models.

I'm sure there's a lot of stories about why, but let me narrow it down to two...
1. you pick up your iPad to use an app and it's been offloaded.... you're either out and have a slow public WiFi network or can't wait for it to download... you might lose interest and pick up your phone or do something else.

2. "Please delete 4.8GB of data to install iPad OS 17.0"... app-by-app, you go removing things you need and wanted. You update it and never remember to reinstall them. The horrors

Avoid both by opting for the 256GB is my vote

SB1500

Suspended
Dec 31, 2021
Just wanted to give an update: I ordered the 256GB refurbished from apple directly. I thought that 64GB might be enough for me, but I better have some more space so that I never even have the need to look how much space is left. Just for the peace of mind.
Literally just saw this after my post. Very happy for you. Enjoy it! I'd say go for Apple Care if you can.

Reactions: ericwn

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
Just wanted to update this thread...

I did return my 256GB version now. Because I wasnt using the iPad (and the storage) as much as I thought I would. My feeling did tell me that I better should return it as long as I still can. Aaaand there was a pretty good deal here where I got the 64GB version for 220€ (!) less then the 256GB version.
This is a lot of money for me tbh and I made up my mind that I most likely will not use the iPad Mini as anything else then a pure media consumption device. (I did try gaming, but I noticed that I prefer to go on my PC for it)

Reactions: Lioness~

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
Im glad you were able to return it and get a better deal. In my instance while its not a Mini the same context applies, i got an Air 4 a while back at a great deal but its 64. It’s not bad but for me i run out of space quickly which makes it frustrating. From now on when i get another iPad it will be 256+ so it can suit my needs better. Everyone is different and had different needs. I want a mini but i dont need one or can justify one unless its an amazing deal lol.

Reactions: Yuuuki

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
Yeah I totally understand. It sucks when you realize later that you should have bought another storage version. I had the same with my phone - but again, too much storage. I had a 256GB iPhone last time and I was not even using 100GB on it. Sooo..I went with a 128GB version for my current iPhone. Everyone told me that I will "regret it"...but no, I dont see myself regretting it anytime soon. As some other pointed out here in this thread - it really comes only down to your own specific use case.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Trust me when I say get the 256gb… it’s better to have more storage then to run out of it all the time. I had 32gb iPad before I got the 256gb iPad Pro…. Ran out of storage so fast.

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
Thanks but I will only use my iPad at home as pure media consumption device. I realize that now. For me the 220€ extra for the more storage is absolutely not worth it in my case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.