Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dschiller

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Hi all:)

I'm wondering whether I should get an Invisible Shield for my yet-to-arrive iPod touch. I've got an IS on my 1G Nano, and I love it, but the first-generation Nano hasn't been known to be very scratch-resistant, and it doesn't have a touch-screen, so I'm kinda worried an IS for the touch's touch-screen might be both an overkill (it is said to be extremely scratch-resistant) and a problem for the touch-screen's responsiveness. So I'd like to know:

a) Is the touch's screen really that hard to scratch? I mean, I know it won't get major scratches, but for such a device I think even very minor scratches might turn out to be annoying.

b)Anyone with an IS for the touch/iPhone can confirm it isn't a problem for the touch-screen's responsiveness as well as its accuracy/crispness?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Cheers
Daniel

dexx0008

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
I've kept my ipod one the ipod socks apple sells, works really well as it keeps the ipod protected and when i slide it out to use it, you see the touch in all it's beauty, not covered in protection. I don't think you will need an invisible shield to protect the screen if u have some sort of case/protection for it.

I have a 1st gen nano as well and if you looked at it wrong it seemed to scratch. the touch has a glass screen which makes it tougher to scratch,

that said, if you treat your stuff like crap, well it will look like it after a while. I wouldn't keep it in a pocket with keys without protection i guess is what i'm getting at if you want it to stay nice. just look for something to protect it when in your pockets and whatnot. I wouldn't necessarily focus on protecting the screen. /my 2 cents

dschiller

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
I've kept my ipod one the ipod socks apple sells, works really well as it keeps the ipod protected and when i slide it out to use it, you see the touch in all it's beauty, not covered in protection. I don't think you will need an invisible shield to protect the screen if u have some sort of case/protection for it.

I have a 1st gen nano as well and if you looked at it wrong it seemed to scratch. the touch has a glass screen which makes it tougher to scratch,

that said, if you treat your stuff like crap, well it will look like it after a while. I wouldn't keep it in a pocket with keys without protection i guess is what i'm getting at if you want it to stay nice. just look for something to protect it when in your pockets and whatnot. I wouldn't necessarily focus on protecting the screen. /my 2 cents

I definetelly see your point, but the great thing about the IS is that I can retain the touch's thinness while at the same time not having to worry about scratches. I'm not really a fan of cases.

That's why I wanted to know if the touch's really resistant to scratches. I mean, I won't treat it like crap, but I do intend to touch it (no pun intended).

BTW, can anyone tell me if the touch will fit nicely into the sleeve that used to come with the 5G iPod (I may have to use it temporarily)?

dexx0008

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
That's why I wanted to know if the touch's really resistant to scratches. I mean, I won't treat it like crap, but I do intend to touch it (no pun intended).

the back scratches really easy like other ipods,i haven't seen anyone report that their touch was scratched, but who is going to take their $400 touch and take keys to it to really test the glass. i'm sure it's as resistant as the iphone which hasn't generated any complaints. I'd maybe search for one of the tear downs that was done on the touch. I'm sure one of those sights did a scratch test. hope the shield works great, you'll have to follow up on your post when it arrives (if you get one)

niz91

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2007
the screen is virtually inddestructable a guy on youtube put a razor blade to it and there were no scratches. i do recomend some sort of case though as the chrome back is succeptable to scratching, just like the previous generations of ipod.

dragonguy83

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
imtyping from a touch that has a skin on it and i really like the feel of it when i type it gives a little more tactile responce as it doesnt let your fingers slide i highly reccommend it to all touch users. Try putting on the front and see what mean. Im still getting a case for it since i do outside work and dont want to brake this. Application was easy done in 20minutes. Dont kid yourself the front will scrath, my first touch did

dschiller

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
yeah get one, they are great... although i've only used the back part for the chrome.

Does it look good? From what I've read it seems the back of the IS for the touch doesn't really fit all that well. Is that true?

the screen is virtually inddestructable a guy on youtube put a razor blade to it and there were no scratches. i do recomend some sort of case though as the chrome back is succeptable to scratching, just like the previous generations of ipod.

I know it won't have any major scratches, but I think some small scratches could show up with everyday usage, and I'm kinda worried about that.

imtyping from a touch that has a skin on it and i really like the feel of it when i type it gives a little more tactile responce as it doesnt let your fingers slide i highly reccommend it to all touch users. Try putting on the front and see what mean. Im still getting a case for it since i do outside work and dont want to brake this. Application was easy done in 20minutes. Dont kid yourself the front will scrath, my first touch did

It's good to hear that. Does it not affect the screen's responsiveness at all? What about photos/videos on the display with the IS...does it look good or do you get a bit of distortion?

Anyone else with IS for iPod touch experiences to share?

Cheers:D
Daniel

themiracle

macrumors regular
May 7, 2007
I would definitely recommend one in general (I don't have one yet, so I can't comment on the specifics with the touch), but I would definitely go with BestSkinsEver, they have the exact same thing (Same material and everything) for about 1/5 of the price. The only problem is they don't have a touch skin at the moment, but I e-mailed them and they should be putting one out very soon.

Wailord

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2007
I would. When I get my touch in a week, I'll be picking one up (or ordering one, whatever), and from what I've seen, it has absolutely no effect on responsiveness. Also, the guy in the scratch test didn't really go after it, but it still is pretty durable. IS have a lifetime warranty, too, and it's better safe than sorry!

casjohnr

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
I have ordered one for mine...Considering I chucked my old iPod anywhere there was space I feel that having a shield on my touch will mean I can treat it the same which is what I want :)

onionperson654

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2007
I just put on an extra "normal" screen protector (really cheap) that I had lying about on the back of my new touch to protect it until I get a case (or invisible shield, etc.).

I think that having something on the back is a necessity unless you never plan on taking it out of the case because the back scratches so easily. Oppositely, the front doesn't really need anything (unless scratches begin to show up). Thanks Apple for the last minute change to the iphone (that was then brought to the touch) to put in glass.

That said, I'm definitely going to get an actual case because while the flash memory makes the touch sturdier than the ipod classic, I know that at some point I will drop it or it will fall and its worth the protection. The screen protector I have now might be fine for the times I have it out of the case (hopefully a very thin one) and as long as I'm not putting it in my pocket with keys, I'll be ok.

Of course, if that "BestSkinsEver" is really a similar product, its way cheaper.

dschiller

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
I would. When I get my touch in a week, I'll be picking one up (or ordering one, whatever), and from what I've seen, it has absolutely no effect on responsiveness. Also, the guy in the scratch test didn't really go after it, but it still is pretty durable. IS have a lifetime warranty, too, and it's better safe than sorry!

It's recomforting to see that, but then I saw this video of some guy's iPhone which had its IS removed and now I'm a bit worried...I mean, it doesn't seem to be faked, and the iPhone only was affected after he had removed the IS.

casjohnr

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
It's recomforting to see that, but then I saw this video of some guy's iPhone which had its IS removed and now I'm a bit worried...I mean, it doesn't seem to be faked, and the iPhone only was affected after he had removed the IS.

I can't see why you would actually want to remove the shield once it is on :confused:

dschiller

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
I can't see why you would actually want to remove the shield once it is on :confused:

It's hard to say, but who knows, maybe I'd want to sell the iPod touch someday, and to do so I'd have to take out the IS (for obvious reasons). Besides, suppose I don't like the feel of it after I apply it...

Anyone here has applied and subsequently removed an IS from an iPod touch/iPhone (maybe I should post this on the iPhone section of this forum)?

themiracle

macrumors regular
May 7, 2007
Of course, if that "BestSkinsEver" is really a similar product, its way cheaper.

It definitely is. I recently pulled an IS off a 5G and replaced it with a BSE skin. They're definitely the same material and the cut was very similar. Also, dschiller, they are very easy to remove in general (There was an area that got a bit melted and there was glue residue all around it after I peeled it off, other than that...). I haven't removed on from an iPhone specifically, but I would assume its the same. Personally, I don't even be putting the screen protector on; it's the shiny back I really care about.

iskhj000

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
Texas
Got one and installed it

I would really recommend you to watch the video for instructions. It says a lot more then the instructions that comes in the package.
Also make sure you are in good lighting (to see bubbles)
http://www.shieldzone.com/movie/index.html

I do like the feel better since it seems a little more tacker and is safer to hold.
So far handling touch control is fine.

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2007
USA
yea, ordered my IS for the touch and am waiting for it to get here. I think i am going to only put it on the back, though. The front seems pretty durable. Also, it seems damn near impossible to get the front part on!!

spazer

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
Northern California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

I have the IS for my touch. I only installed the back piece to protect the chrome finish. It does have a good durable feel to it, but I can tell you this is definitely not a material I would want covering the glass screen. Also, it was not easy to install and the fit isnt perfect. I am happy with it over all though. I still have the front screen cover piece, anyone want it?

Ipaqman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
id take the front piece for sure. pm me if its still available.

thanks so much,
ipaqman

dschiller

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
I would really recommend you to watch the video for instructions. It says a lot more then the instructions that comes in the package.
Also make sure you are in good lighting (to see bubbles)
http://www.shieldzone.com/movie/index.html

I do like the feel better since it seems a little more tacker and is safer to hold.
So far handling touch control is fine.

And how does the screen look when watching videos/photos with the IS?

Anyone with an iPod touch without an IS notices scratches on the screen, even minor scratches?

colincampbell

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
From passed experience using the Invisible Shield, i would HIGHLY recommend applying one to your Touch; especially for the back of the Ipod.

I purchased one because for $24 you can guarantee your Ipod will be in perfect condition all the time.
The back chrome part of the Touch scratches extremely easily! Also, sure the face of the Ipod doesn't scratch easily, but if you happen to drop your Touch on the ground or anything similar, you'll definitely get some scratches on it.
Also, the skin does NOT effect the response of the Touch. Plus, you can always remove the skin at any time if you don't like it. I highly suggest purchasing one either from Zagg or BestSkinsEver.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
It definitely is. I recently pulled an IS off a 5G and replaced it with a BSE skin. They're definitely the same material and the cut was very similar. Also, dschiller, they are very easy to remove in general (There was an area that got a bit melted and there was glue residue all around it after I peeled it off, other than that...). I haven't removed on from an iPhone specifically, but I would assume its the same. Personally, I don't even be putting the screen protector on; it's the shiny back I really care about.

If what you are saying is true then they have changed the material that they use for the BSE skins recently.

2 years ago I purchased an Invisible Shield for my 5G iPod and purchased a BSE skin for the Nano that I bought my wife.

The skins were very different materials, and the Invisible shield was easier in application, was 'thicker' than the BSE skin and has held up very well over the last 2 yrs whereas the skin on my wife's Nano has some bubbles/creases that never came out (but still looks pretty good).

At the end of the days both will protect your pod but I feel the invisible shield is a superior product.

iskhj000

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
Texas
After letting it sit for 24 hours I love it

And how does the screen look when watching videos/photos with the IS?

Anyone with an iPod touch without an IS notices scratches on the screen, even minor scratches?

I kept the protector on the front that came with the touch in shipment. so there wasnt any scratches.
The back is already pretty scratched up. The shield did not add or take away from the back scratches.

I about freaked out when I applied it because it didn't look clean. After 24 hours it looks great. I think it adds a little resistance and I am able to hold it better. I hope to get still a case that may protect it if I drop it.
PS: I have already dropped it on concrete (before the shield) and it didn't leave a dent or scratch. Pretty amaizing. I hope to get a http://www.vajacases.com/home/home_en.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.