Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
I'm so on the fence regarding iPad pro it's not even funny. I keep going back and forth...I like the bigger screen...but can I use it in bed? I like the Apple pencil. But I'm not an artist! I like the smart keyboard. But I won't be typing a lot anyway!

I have an iPad Air 2 that I love to death that gets used every single day. It's my main device for using Internet , managing photos, watching videos, emails and everything else in my life. The idea of pro is appealing as hell. What I'm concerned about is

• Portability. I don't usually take my iPad anywhere besides home and work. But will I be able to read with this in bed with no problems?
  • Apps optimized for pro: are there big issues with graphics in apps not being optimized for the larger screen that would turn me off?
  • Worth the price or overkill? For what I do and considering I'm not trying to replace a laptop here (I just like the iPad for chilling better than a MacBook) is the iPad pro overkill or can it be worth it for someone that doesn't care to do pro things with it?
  • Does the battery take forever to charge?
I'll be getting a MacBook Pro when the update comes next year that I'll be using for programming stuff, so really. The iPad is just an entertainment device for the most part to me. What do you think?

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I purchased a iPad Pro with the intent of selling my iPad Mini 2 and MacBook Pro. I mainly used both of them for consumption doing mostly the things you mentioned. Though I do some work occasionally on my MacBook Pro, but it's usually word processing and/or spreadsheets. Which can be done on the iPad Pro.

So, I got the Pro and was very impressed with it. Fast, great screen, battery life is good. It is slow to charge though taking hours and hours if you deplete the battery to around 20%. Overall though I found the size very awkward for getting on the couch and/or kicking back in bed. It's just too big for that in my opinion. But it could be because I had been using the Mini 2 for the last 2 years so I was use to much smaller device. However, the small text for me has become somewhat of an issue on the Mini 2. So this is what pushed me to consider my plan above. In the end though I decided to return to Pro and go with and iPad Air 2. Still small enough to be comfortable.. battery charges quicker and all the apps just seem so optimized for this size display.

The iPad Pro to me had a lot of space wasted on the screen. Apple just made the icons huge and you really don't get much more real useable space because of the poor optimization. Though there are some apps that do take advantage and I am sure over time there will be more and more. I just couldn't justify spending $1000 vs $459 which is what I spent on the Air 2. I'll keep my MacBook Pro now and I already have someone paying me $200 for my Mini. So, in reality I will have just spent $259 making this change.

Also if you are getting a MacBook Pro in my opinion there is no reason to spend $1000 for an iPad Pro. If you can do what you need on the iPad Pro though and can feel comfortable using it in the places you need to, then I really don't see a need to get an MacBook Pro. If didn't already have one my outcome may have been different. Everyone has different needs and desires.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
Portability - I agree with OTACORB on this issue. Its quite un-weildly at times. Couch time i find fine, but using in bed is most awkward.

Apps - so far this is the biggest disappointment for me. Not only have we not had hardly any ipad pro specific optimised apps thrown at us yet, but even existing apps are taking their time in updating to Pro optimisation. I mean, even Facebook hasnt been updated yet. Yes they stretch to fit, but dont have split screen or new keyboard usage for example. But, i'm sure all this will happen soon enough.

Price - this is a highly subjective issue for me. How much is it worth it to you? Personally, its worth its weight in gold. Im not a laptop user either, so this is another reason im happy paying.

Battery - dont notice. When left to charge i find it nice and speedy. When charging and using together, its so much slower. But again, my Pro is on my office desk plugged in 99% of its time and using web and email doesnt effect battery too much.

Sounds like the only advantage you'll gleam from it is the huge huge screen. And yes, its larger than expected. Is this worth a punt for you?
For me it was as i upgraded from ipad2, so had everything new and fast. But from ipadair2? As i say, boils down to a screen thing i think. The pencil is awesome fun as well dont forget, but not an essential. Not needed for browsing and watching of course.

Last edited:

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I actually find the iPad pro to be quite manageable in bed. In portrait mode I just hold it with to hands and let it rest on my legs. It's really amazing to read books on it for example. Also videos are so beautiful. The only thing that is not that easy in bed is typing but I just use one hand for that which works fine but it isn't optimal of course.
Do keep in mind however that I'm currently using it without a case. Soon I'll get a case for it (when they finally get sold in my country) and I'd have to see how it fares then.
Even though I justified the iPad by using it for college, it certainly is a killer media consumption device. I'd say, if you have the money for it, go for it. To me it is the best iPad yet.

adyf

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
Had the self same reservations myself, so I pulled the trigger. I was driving myself crazy with it, so as they started to disappear from John Lewis online, I went for it.

Unfortunately it's a christmas gift so I'll have to wait until then to use it. I'm optimistic that I'll not be disappointed, I read a lot of magazines and books, streaming etc. I usually take my macbook pro with me on holiday etc, but I'm hoping to just take the iPad pro and use remote desktop to the macbook pro if I need to.

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
I had the same delima, went back and forth for 2 days. Decided to put in an order at verizon last night. Wont ship until christmas though.

Im coming from a Mini 3.

Zenistar

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2015
I use mine at home and the office, as well as my commute in between.

Portability - as others have said, the size can be a little unwieldy at times but not really problematic. I read most nights in bed using the Pro in landscape mode and it is not a problem. I don't tend to sit in bed, rather lie with the the lower edge on my chest and have even used the smartcover as a stand, just to provide a larger surface area for reading. For reading or working on the train i don't have any problems. At the office it is generally flat on the desk as i use it for handwritten notes.

Apps - just a matter of time. Most of the creative apps are updated, but others are taking their time. The updates will come....

Worth the price - The larger screen is definitely worth the price for me, for reading, games, creative stuff, video - the screen really is fantastic.

Charging - i tend to stick all my devices on charge overnight, the pro is no different.

Pencil - The greatest benefit i have with the pencil is that I have now managed to eliminate all paper note books from my work / university life. The pencil is amazing when used with things like Evernote, Notes etc. Having the pro with a pencil is like having an A4 pad on your desk with the flexibility of being able move things around on the pad etc. I use Evernote specifically because i take a lot of notes in meeting / during my work and Evernote allows me to search my handwritten notes.

Since getting the pro I've not used either my MacBook Pro or my ipad Air2, the Air2 is getting sold but I will hold onto the Macbook for the moment.

Reactions: neutrino23

kring

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Connecticut
I went from iPad 3 to the Pro and my first week it was too big, I debated returning it. however I never once went for the old iPad. In bed the Pro is better in my opinion, it is clearer at lowest brightness and it's easy to see so it can be farther away from your face, I always rest it with me propped up. It is too heavy to hold in the air for any length of time. I picked up my old ipad the other day and the screen feels so small, I could never go back after having time with the iPad pro. My usage is pretty much around the house activities and nothing graphical or advanced productivity.

In the end I'm glad I got it. but please factor in AppleCare, I have a feeling this thing is going to break a few times as I don't get the impression it's strong enough to take even a small incidental fall.

A good comparison for some is it's like the transition from iphone 5/6 to the Plus model, it is like holding a piece of toast, but after getting use to it and the screen size, you can't go back to the smaller models.

Reactions: judethat

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
I think i had buyers remorse on the first day i got it, but it went away after a good few hours of usage. The screen is just so much better for me, multitasking is just amazing and the brightness and contrasting levels seem to work much clearer.

Comparing this to my current iPad Air 2 (which I will be selling shortly) and i can't believe how small the iPad Air 2 and how unclearer it is, now after being used to this screen :p

Would have to agree about the AppleCare, one drop from any height would seriously do some damage.

Pros for me
- HD Resolution.
- Bigger form factor for reading / and playing games.
- Better multitasking and viewing for Processing business documents and time sheets

Cons
- Not enough App native to take advantage of the new IPP (But this will change over time , more apps will get developed/updates to meet the requirements of the IPP).
- Can't hold it with one hand. LOL Tried. Hand got tired after one minute, yes it's light but it is designed to be resting on a surface or in your lap.

Reactions: macaximx

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Regarding bed use - I have the Smart Cover and case combo. I usually lay on my side and use the case to hold it up.

Last night I watched a video in picture in picture and browsed the web.

Before that, I used it to work on a word document and power point. The bigger screen is very nice..

It's the first iPad I use more so in landscape mode, that feels much more natural to me.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
It's more cumbersome in bed than an Air for sure, but I think it works fine. The bigger size means even laying you your back you can just rest it on your chest and still see most of the screen in portrait. I can also hold by gripping the bottom left corner hinged on my thumb and index finger in an "L" shape. Not as long as I can hold the air that way, but it's really not too much heavier.

Still get frustrated by the home screen criticisms and "wasted space". How much time do you guys spend on the home screen!?

emembee

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
I am on the fence too and will hold off till better apps come along and ios handles an app with more than one window. You also can't do any coding or development easily, filemaker only allows editing of data so no scripting or design either. Naturally no applescript, The Editorial app supports Python but not sure how much of it is usable on ios.

Playing around with OneNote, Word and Excel, all ok but not same as desktop. Getting stuff in needs a keyboard, and how do you upload or insert say text or filemaker data or connect to SQL databases, etc etc etc. Using markdown editors too, I have had trouble getting the formatting right as it certainly won't paste easily into Office.

A Macbook would do much more and is not that much heavier, however I do like the simplicity of ios and appreciate the touch interface.

Then there is filing, I suppose you can move all files to cloud storage maybe but then how do you rip CDs, and only a simple file management system (fine for some things but all your different data needs?) These are all tricky areas and it seems that if you still need them then a mac or pc is the only real solution, perhaps as a server and then you can login via remote app and do work, but none of that is pretty either.

Having said all that I will probably get one, but it will be an addition until such time iOS has the hooks for stuff that only the mac or pc can do.

big-ted

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013
UK
Just been lent one from work to test, screen is a nice size and makes reading very easy, but with so few apps optimised for the new size its disappointing, and unoptimised apps have a huge keyboard. It's nice for consuming information, but for getting work done, it needs a better filing system and access to onsite file servers when US based cloud services are not an option.

I wouldn't buy one with my own money at the moment

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
I was on the fence from the presentation in September. I finally broke down and got one.

My thoughts:

The screen is just gorgeous, amazing.
It is remarkably fast.
Comfortable on my lap in my recliner.

I wanted so much to love it. I've always loved all things Apple. But, it simply didn't feel right. My Air2 feels right, the Pro doesn't feel like an iPad to me. It's just a great big slab.

Different strokes as they say. With regret, I am returning it.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I felt the same way, I just took a leap of faith and got one to ease my excitement. Turns out it wasn't as useful for my uses as I thought it would be so I ended up returning it. I may get one in the future after more apps are optimized and refurb models appear for cheaper. Maybe even just wait for the second gen.

Either way, you won't rest your mind until you try it. Id say get one, try it for a week, and make a decision as to return it or not after that.

Reactions: AppleRobert

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Had my Pro since launch day. Love it. Great for work. It's big, though. Too big to, say, take to a restaurant with you as an e-reader. So I've given away my Air 2 but kept my mini for certain uses.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I saw it in person and its huge for the size... It should have productivity than just a big iPad.

woozor1

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2015
Uk
It's easy to use in bed I don't understand the people having trouble. The device isn't that huge or heavy. Lay in bed prop. Up on the Smart Cover simple hey. The on screen keyboard is that good I'd seriously try it with just a Smart Cover first off and see how you get on. I can type effortlessly touch typing with the on screen keyboard very fast with no mistakes, and I was also planning on getting the Apple keyboard case but not anymore. I have the pencil coming so I can't give any feedback on that yet. But this is the ultimate media device. If money isn't an issue go and buy one you're in the holiday period to try it out if you don't like it get your refund what you got to lose.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I've had one for two days now and am really loving it.

As Horace pointed out, this is really a different device. Yes, it is a large iPad, but it is different.

The screen is huge. You really get immersed in it. I get the newspaper as a PDF. It is fantastic to sit outside and read this way. I don't find the size a problem sitting on the couch or in bed.

I loaded up an iBook I created to explain about our software. It was OK on the Air but because I use a lot of screen shots from Windows everything was cramped. Now it looks great. In fact, I can see I'll have to go back and redo some things to produce better quality content.

The speakers are fantastic. Clearly not audiophile speakers but really quite good and having stereo is really nice when listening to music while working or when watching a video.

The Pencil is fantastic. This is the iPad feature I've been waiting for since the first iPad came out. Like many others, I've tried a dozen different styluses and have been disappointed by them all. At last, I can load up pictures of samples I'm working on and take notes and make annotations while collecting data. Fantastic. I'm using Notability, Inflow and Notes.

I can see using this as a sketchpad while teaching customers about our product (x-ray spectroscopy with science and engineering applications). Most of what goes on can't be seen so we use a lot of graphics and calculations to guide us. I was doing this just a week ago with the iPad Air and it was sort of OK but quite messy. This will be fantastic.

I took it too Starbucks this morning just to try it out. Not bad. This is just enough larger than an iPad Air or Mini that it changes your behavior. You can't be as casual with this.

I don't for a minute think of this as a replacement for my MacBook Pro. This is an extension of my digital life. The iPP can do things that the MBP doesn't and vice versa. They complement each other.

For the original poster, if you have the money then go ahead and try it out. You can always take it back with a short time (two weeks?). If you can use this at work, it is probably worth it. If it is just for fun and you have to raid your kid's piggy bank to pay for it then wait a year or two and get a refurbished model or used model.

Reactions: judethat

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
I think it will be an amazing purchase at gen 2. It needs time and apps to take advantage of it. Once it does, it'll be a really nice piece of kit.

I think it also needs an OS to take advantage of it.. I think OSX 10 might be what the iPad pro needs.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
I've been using mine while sitting or lying on the couch in front of the fire every day since I got it on Nov. 11 and I LOVE it. It took me a while to adjust to the ginormous size, but I hardly notice it (in a negative sense) any more. Yes, it's a bit unwieldy, but I just prop the bottom against my abdomen and hold it steady with one hand, while typing or writing with the other. FWIW, I have tiny hands.

The big pluses for me are the Pencil and Split View/Slide Over. The latter also work on my iPad mini2, but they are so much more functional on the IPP. And watching a movie while lying in front of the fire on the IPP's enormous screen is just awesome.

Last edited:

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
I took it too Starbucks this morning just to try it out. Not bad. This is just enough larger than an iPad Air or Mini that it changes your behavior. You can't be as casual with this.

This made me laugh for some reason. Like taking it to Starbucks and showing it off is the ultimate test or something.

The thread was amazingly helpful. I thought I would get tons of people justifying their purchases and telling me "nooooo man it's not too big just get it!" But I got some really good use cases and some really good info on downsides. I think for now, I'll just make do with my iPad Air 2. It's not like I didn't already love it in the first place. Thanks for the help guys. You just saved me $1,000!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.