Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doug90000

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2015
After traveling with my iPad Pro the last two weeks, I love it. I now leave the macbook pro at home. Create docs, spreadsheets, presentations, browse the internet, etc. Movies and internet on the plane and my bag feels much lighter.

I don't think it's a permanent replacement for a laptop, but for a week at a time it's perfect. Works for me better than my Air2 due to screen size.

Reactions: Ghost31

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'm so on the fence regarding iPad pro it's not even funny. I keep going back and forth...I like the bigger screen...but can I use it in bed? I like the Apple pencil.

I'll be getting a MacBook Pro when the update comes next year that I'll be using for programming stuff, so really. The iPad is just an entertainment device for the most part to me. What do you think?

What's your disposable income and wealth? If you can afford it as a hobby, go for it. But if you are on a limited income and are happy with the iPad Air 2 and are saving up for a new MBP I'd think twice. There is a good possibility the Air 3 gets the Pencil capabilities next year. While it is a nice feature being able to take notes it might not be worth $1K or more.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
Same predicament as you a few weeks ago. Just jumped and got one anyway. Just waiting for the keyboard and pencil now. Different beast versus previous iPads but the real test will come after i test it with the keyboard case.

Plus points:

3x louder than iPad Air 2
The screen of this quality is unmatched (for LCD)
Easier to multitask, no joke.

Meh:
Takes longer to charge
Needs some getting used to with its large size

roxette

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2010
To all who have already an iPad Pro:
I have to travel one hour by train to go to work. So far I have read some emails on my iPhone or iPad Mini 2. But I like to be able to work more efficiently during these 2 hours a day. There is no table in the train so I have to put the iPad Pro on my lap to work.
Who is doing this and is it ok with an iPad Pro or should I go with another device?
Kind regards
Michael

Zenistar

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2015
If you are just reading on the train and maybe tying the occasional short reply - i would say the pro is fine on the train as long as you have space to maybe cross your legs and rest the pro on them (how i tend to read during my commute).

If you are looking for something to really work, e.g. read and respond to as much as you can in that commute time, without a table you are likely better with a laptop that will balance better on your lap.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Same predicament as you a few weeks ago. Just jumped and got one anyway. Just waiting for the keyboard and pencil now. Different beast versus previous iPads but the real test will come after i test it with the keyboard case.

Plus points:

3x louder than iPad Air 2
The screen of this quality is unmatched (for LCD)
Easier to multitask, no joke.

Meh:
Takes longer to charge
Needs some getting used to with its large size
Actually the tests said iPad mini 4 edges out the iPad pro on screen resolution.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
There's a lot of factors to consider one as a great display. Not just resolution though.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I'm so on the fence regarding iPad pro it's not even funny. I keep going back and forth...I like the bigger screen...but can I use it in bed? I like the Apple pencil. But I'm not an artist! I like the smart keyboard. But I won't be typing a lot anyway!

I have an iPad Air 2 that I love to death that gets used every single day. It's my main device for using Internet , managing photos, watching videos, emails and everything else in my life. The idea of pro is appealing as hell. What I'm concerned about is

• Portability. I don't usually take my iPad anywhere besides home and work. But will I be able to read with this in bed with no problems?
  • Apps optimized for pro: are there big issues with graphics in apps not being optimized for the larger screen that would turn me off?
  • Worth the price or overkill? For what I do and considering I'm not trying to replace a laptop here (I just like the iPad for chilling better than a MacBook) is the iPad pro overkill or can it be worth it for someone that doesn't care to do pro things with it?
  • Does the battery take forever to charge?
I'll be getting a MacBook Pro when the update comes next year that I'll be using for programming stuff, so really. The iPad is just an entertainment device for the most part to me. What do you think?
If you currently have an Air 2, there is little reason to get an iPad Pro NOW. On the one hand, the Air 2 is still a beast, doesn't even break a sweat running iOS 9... on the other, there are not many accessories available for the Pro and software is still in development to take advantage of the larger screen. If you need active stylus support, that would be the primary reason for considering switching from the Air 2 to the Pro.

As for me, I'm enjoying my Air 2. I'll keep an eye out for what and when the Air 3 brings, a potential Pro 2 (or additional accessories/support for the current Pro) before considering moving beyond the Air 2.

Reactions: soulreaver99

ferjilo

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2015
w Polska
I had the same doubt, how it will feel at bed or couch. After 2 days of heavy usage - whole weekend - I'm very comfortable using it at bed, in fact more comfortable than my Air 2! The Smart Cover keeps it straight on portrait mode on my stomach while Air 2 didn't, so I had to hold it with my hand and now I don't have to.

And yes, when I take again the Air 2 looks incredible small. For casual usage I recommend it. Also I tried Ms Outlook for work and it's great, a real laptop replacement. I'm testing Excel and doesn't seem bad, but probably not as good for heavy usage, but better than I thought.

As a summary, very happy after 2 days as an Air 2 replacement

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
I'm so on the fence regarding iPad pro it's not even funny. I keep going back and forth...I like the bigger screen...but can I use it in bed? I like the Apple pencil. But I'm not an artist! I like the smart keyboard. But I won't be typing a lot anyway!

I have an iPad Air 2 that I love to death that gets used every single day. It's my main device for using Internet , managing photos, watching videos, emails and everything else in my life. The idea of pro is appealing as hell. What I'm concerned about is

• Portability. I don't usually take my iPad anywhere besides home and work. But will I be able to read with this in bed with no problems?
  • Apps optimized for pro: are there big issues with graphics in apps not being optimized for the larger screen that would turn me off?
  • Worth the price or overkill? For what I do and considering I'm not trying to replace a laptop here (I just like the iPad for chilling better than a MacBook) is the iPad pro overkill or can it be worth it for someone that doesn't care to do pro things with it?
  • Does the battery take forever to charge?

1- You will not want to read for an extended time with the iPad Pro while laying down. If you sit up in bed it shouldn't be such an issue.
2-It is going to take months, if ever, when most apps are optimized for the iPad Pro. Apple has not made it a requirement and until they do, many developers will not make it a priority.
3-I think the price is steep for the only model you would want, the 128GB version. If you want to future proof it I'd recommend the LTE model as well. Add the keyboard and pencil and you're above cheap MBP levels. At this point its preference over price.
4-The battery takes a full 5 hours to charge from dead. Of course you can use it while plugged in.

I am giving my iPad Pro a chance until the last return date but right now I'm leaning towards returning it and waiting until the Air 3. Still have over a month to try it so we'll see. The keyboard is really not the greatest when using it and the Pencil is cool but I'm not artist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.