Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lastgreen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
Hi everyone I currently own an iPhone 6+ I feel tempted to switch to a Samsung galaxy s8 or a s9 what are your opinions or do you think I should wait for the new iPhone line up

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
If you're switching to Android, I'd go for the S9. I tried an S9+ a few weeks ago and it was pretty sweet, and I'm a pretty diehard iPhone user.

Reactions: jamezr

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
If you can afford the newest, get it.

Think about future updates, one year newer means one version update more.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
Price is not an issue s9 and if you are done with iPhone....
Why are thinking of leaving?

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
Hi everyone I currently own an iPhone 6+ I feel tempted to switch to a Samsung galaxy s8 or a s9 what are your opinions or do you think I should wait for the new iPhone line up

Also since you had the iPhone plus you may want to look into the plus sized Samsung models.

mainevent1536

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2010
Massachusetts
I recently was in the same boat about a month ago and made the switch to the S9+. I'd say go with that, if you can swing it, just based upon it being the newest flagship (until the Note), performance and an overall better camera.

bkrbyndr

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2014
Stockholm
I switched from iPhone X to S9+ I'm loving it! Only issue is battery was better on my X. My gf have s9 But I think plus better with camera and stuff, if the size is not a problem for you.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
I switched from iPhone X to S9+ I'm loving it! Only issue is battery was better on my X. My gf have s9 But I think plus better with camera and stuff, if the size is not a problem for you.

How do you feel about that switch?
I keep telling myself I want to go back to iPhone and use the Apple watch and a Mac.
What made you do the switch?
[doublepost=1530048373][/doublepost]I currently have the Note 8 and was debating switching back.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I would get the S9 plus because it will get android Q and the S8 won’t. The S9 plus will last longer.

I was having the same debate but have just ordered the S9 plus. The price difference was only £150 more and you get all the upgrades such as dual camera, variable lens, stereo speakers, newer chipset, more ram and internal storage, longer support. Better placed finger print sensor.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I would get the S9 plus because it will get android Q and the S8 won’t. The S9 plus will last longer.

I was having the same debate but have just ordered the S9 plus. The price difference was only £150 more and you get all the upgrades such as dual camera, variable lens, stereo speakers, newer chipset, more ram and internal storage, longer support. Better placed finger print sensor.

The S9 will also have better re-sale value. So the extra outlay is worth it.

bkrbyndr

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2014
Stockholm
How do you feel about that switch?
I keep telling myself I want to go back to iPhone and use the Apple watch and a Mac.
What made you do the switch?
[doublepost=1530048373][/doublepost]I currently have the Note 8 and was debating switching back.
I have been using IPhone since iPhone 3G. I just wanted to try, android i would get pixel 2 but we don't have it here in Sweden. SO I bought the S9+ I am happy for now it has been almost a month. Just the battery not good as my iPhone X but u survive one full day plus 15min charge will give you a few more hours use :). AND I miss my Apple watch3. But phone is really good screen amazing and there's so many smart future.

Applemaniac7

Suspended
Mar 2, 2018
So Cal.
No they aren’t the same size. Just as the iPhone X is smaller than the plus sized iPhones.
Scratch that, I was being vague.. the s8 screen is bigger than the plus models with a smaller overall footprint....
This is in relation to someone saying they should get a s9 plus with 6.2 screen if they are coming from a 5.5 plus. Not needed it 5be normal s9 is 5.8...

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
Scratch that, I was being vague.. the s8 screen is bigger than the plus models with a smaller overall footprint....
This is in relation to someone saying they should get a s9 plus with 6.2 screen if they are coming from a 5.5 plus. Not needed it 5be normal s9 is 5.8...

Its options... They may want a bigger actual phone to hold or even a possibly bigger screen than they already have! Maybe the eyesight is aging, or they have an issue with their hands, or maybe they game or watch movies on their device.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
But there's less screen real estate in the 5.8 inch S9 comp
but the 5.8 inch screen on the S9 has less real estate than on the plus model iPhones. I came from a 7 plus to the iPhone X and it’s a drop down in screen size.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
But there's less screen real estate in the 5.8 inch S9 comp

but the 5.8 inch screen on the S9 has less real estate than on the plus model iPhones. I came from a 7 plus to the iPhone X and it’s a drop down in screen size.

Care to elaborate? 5.8" is bigger than the 5.5" on the plus-sized iPhones. Are you taking the curved sides of the S9 into account? Are you talking about the iPhone X?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Care to elaborate? 5.8" is bigger than the 5.5" on the plus-sized iPhones. Are you taking the curved sides of the S9 into account? Are you talking about the iPhone X?
Because the aspect ratio is not the same. The iPhone X is narrower than the plus iPhones and the screen isn’t as big.

Have a look at this video by Lisa from mobile tech. She’ll explain to you just how the 5.5 inch iPhone 8 Plus is bigger than the 5.8 inch iPhone X.

Reactions: kazmac and jamezr

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Because the aspect ratio is not the same. The iPhone X is narrower than the plus iPhones and the screen isn’t as big.

Have a look at this video by Lisa from mobile tech. She’ll explain to you just how the 5.5 inch iPhone 8 Plus is bigger than the 5.8 inch iPhone X.

It also depends on what you viewing and the format. If you watch wide screen content (wider than 16x10), it’s actually larger. Or if you have long lists, you don’t have to scroll as much because the screen is taller. But yes, 16x9 content is bigger on the plus models.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

From memory, aren't you a Note fan?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.