Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPad Pro should I get

• iPad Pro 12.9" A12Z Bionic chip 2020

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • iPad Pro 12.9" M2

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • iPad Pro 11" M2

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters

kajdncv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2022
I really like the 12.9" screen size for reading/annotating textbooks/pdfs. But I'm also worried that it would kill my eyes in the long term.
An alternative is to buy the iPad Pro 12.9" A12Z Bionic chip 2020; it uses LCD.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I really like the 12.9" screen size for reading/annotating textbooks/pdfs. But I'm also worried that it would kill my eyes in the long term.

Why do you think it will kill your eyes? Do you have some condition that would predispose you to a problem? I'm near 70 and have no issue with my M1 12.9.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Most people don’t have problems with PWM.

Do you use one of the OLED iPhones? If the answer is yes, then PWM on the M2 iPP probably won’t be an issue for you.

Reactions: robotica and slplss

DD88

Suspended
Jun 6, 2022
I advise you get your eyes tested and get some glasses to help you if you have those issues. Headaches and strains especially

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
There's a member on this forum by the username GrumpyMom. You should send her a private message and ask her because she suffers from PWM issues. For her it's so bad that she says she gets migraines. From what I gather you would know pretty quick if you are susceptible to PWM.

Reactions: GlenK

kajdncv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2022
Why do you think it will kill your eyes? Do you have some condition that would predispose you to a problem? I'm near 70 and have no issue with my M1 12.9.
I found a couple threads discussing the PWM on the Pro displays. Since I have high myopia and astigmatism, I'm worried that it would also give me eye strain and headaches.

Reactions: sparksd

kajdncv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2022
Most people don’t have problems with PWM.

Do you use one of the OLED iPhones? If the answer is yes, then PWM on the M2 iPP probably won’t be an issue for you.
I'm still using iPhone 7 plus. The only OLED device I have is my apple watch series 7.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

kajdncv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2022
Test it out in 14 days for those newest iPad before you decide.
Eye strain is definitely should not be the symptom you want to experience every day.
I played with the iPad 12.9" M1 and iPad 11" M1 in an Apple Store for 20 minutes. With true tone and night shift turned on, the 12.9" min-LED looked much more white than the yellowish 11" LCD; the LCD felt more comfortable to me.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I found a couple threads discussing the PWM on the Pro displays. Since I have high myopia and astigmatism, I'm worried that it would also give me eye strain and headaches.

Makes sense then that you would want to give it a try to see if it's a problem for you. You have a 14-day return window with a new iPad so you could give it a shot.

kajdncv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2022
Test it out in 14 days for those newest iPad before you decide.
Eye strain is definitely should not be the symptom you want to experience every day.
Yea, the best way is to try it out. But I have social phobia, so I limit going out as much as possible.

• Wow
Reactions: Shirasaki

kajdncv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2022
There's a member on this forum by the username GrumpyMom. You should send her a private message and ask her because she suffers from PWM issues. For her it's so bad that she says she gets migraines. From what I gather you would know pretty quick if you are susceptible to PWM.
Thanks! I just sent her a message.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I played with the iPad 12.9" M1 and iPad 11" M1 in an Apple Store for 20 minutes. With true tone and night shift turned on, the 12.9" min-LED looked much more white than the yellowish 11" LCD; the LCD felt more comfortable to me.
Oh yeah iPad Pro 11” is still using the so-called ”inferior“ LCD. People just don’t realise or outright deny/ignore some benefits that we‘ve lost in the name of “technology advancement”.

I don’t think M2 iPad Pro 11” is any different than M1 counterpart in terms of the screen type. You might be able to adapt to M2 iPad Pro 11” before Apple switching to the so-called “superior” OLED.

Due to how LED works (PWM in steroids), there’s really not much Apple could do to ease eye strain unless they go 240Hz refresh rate or higher, which some suggest can reduce the eye strain.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Yea, the best way is to try it out. But I have social phobia, so I limit going out as much as possible.
I used to believe I had social phobia too, until I realise how powerful your mind could jam you from functioning properly and ruin everything you love. -_-

Now things are definitely going better for me.

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Buy it November 1st and then you’ll have two months to test it rather than two weeks.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
In case, someone's subjective experience helps...

I'm one of those PWM-sensitive people (and return or sell OLED iPhones each year after I think I can muscle through it but decide the pain isn't worth it.)

Last year, I tried the M1 12.9, and the screen bothered me. Returned it and got the 2020 12.9 and have absolutely no problem.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I'd vote for trying it as it's the best iPad in the class and the screen is super crisp + white. If you have issues then return.

I have an issue with PWM so couldn't use the Mini-LED 12.9", but I had to try it. You won't know until you do.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I had an AMOLED Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e. The first time I witnessed the effect of PWM. I could literally see the screen flashing and it hurt my eyes. It operated at very low of 245.1 Hz at max brightness.
Next I got M1 iPad Pro. Using it for a year with no problems. It has a consistent PWM of 19 190 Hz (or 19 kHz) across various levels of brightness.
Also have an OLED iPhone 13 Pro. PWM of 510 Hz. Not very high, you’d think, but I experienced zero problems.

M2 XDR PWM is unknown yet, I think, but it should be similar to 2021 XDR. Truth is everyone’s eyes are different so you have to try it yourself, but I’d say the chances you won’t have any problems with it are good.

Reactions: supermars

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm still using iPhone 7 plus. The only OLED device I have is my apple watch series 7.

Just try it out and see.

I also get headaches from PWM (can’t use OLED iPhones for more than 15 minutes). When I first got the 2021 iPP, I was getting headaches as well but it stopped after like a week or so, so I decided to keep the 2021 iPP instead of downgrading to a 2018 iPP 1TB LTE.

kajdncv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2022
In case, someone's subjective experience helps...

I'm one of those PWM-sensitive people (and return or sell OLED iPhones each year after I think I can muscle through it but decide the pain isn't worth it.)

Last year, I tried the M1 12.9, and the screen bothered me. Returned it and got the 2020 12.9 and have absolutely no problem.
The 2020 12.9 iPP is plenty for reading/annotating pdfs, but you need M1/M2 to get every feature of iPadOS 16.

Reactions: happy orchard

kajdncv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2022
Just try it out and see.

I also get headaches from PWM (can’t use OLED iPhones for more than 15 minutes). When I first got the 2021 iPP, I was getting headaches as well but it stopped after like a week or so, so I decided to keep the 2021 iPP instead of downgrading to a 2018 iPP 1TB LTE.
My coworker has been using her iPhone 12 for 2 years and she said her myopia increased by 2.5 diopters! But I'm not sure how much of that increase in nearsightedness can be attributed to her usage of the OLED screen since all of her other devices(iPad, Macbook, Studio Display) have LCD. She said she likes to read novels on her iPhone before bed.

kajdncv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2022
Oh yeah iPad Pro 11” is still using the so-called ”inferior“ LCD. People just don’t realise or outright deny/ignore some benefits that we‘ve lost in the name of “technology advancement”.

I don’t think M2 iPad Pro 11” is any different than M1 counterpart in terms of the screen type. You might be able to adapt to M2 iPad Pro 11” before Apple switching to the so-called “superior” OLED.

Due to how LED works (PWM in steroids), there’s really not much Apple could do to ease eye strain unless they go 240Hz refresh rate or higher, which some suggest can reduce the eye strain.
The iPad Pro 11" is great, but I need a 12.9" reading/annotating textbook pdfs

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The iPad Pro 11" is great, but I need a 12.9" reading/annotating textbook pdfs
:(:(:(
iPad Pro 12.9” never can get LCD again at this point and most people would dismiss your issue entirely. Your only bet is Apple releasing a 240hz or 360hz OLED or something To mitigate the issue.
It’s a shame apple cares nothing about people with PWM sensitivities.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
The 2020 12.9 iPP is plenty for reading/annotating pdfs, but you need M1/M2 to get every feature of iPadOS 16.
I'm trying to figure out an iPadOS 16 feature that I'll really miss...any that you're enjoying exclusive to M1 or M2?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.