Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Hell no. Not worth it at all. I had upgraded my second gen 12.9 Pro to iOS 11 and there was stuttering and horrendous battery drain. Rolled back to iOS 10 and everything settled to normal. Do not upgrade from iOS 10
d978b85a734680ef048428238359fbd1.png

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Hell no. Not worth it at all. I had upgraded my second gen 12.9 Pro to iOS 11 and there was stuttering and horrendous battery drain. Rolled back to iOS 10 and everything settled to normal. Do not upgrade from iOS 10
d978b85a734680ef048428238359fbd1.png

Heh was always on iOS 11 beta and just moved to 11.3.1 from 11.1.2 on iPad 12.9 gen2

Seems a lot better

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
It’s fine for the incredibly vast majority of people. Just a few posters pop up ad nauseum to poison the well. The multi tasking is designed a lot better once you give it a chance and get used to it.

traveltoromantis

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2017
I was in the same boat and did the same thing. I'm glad I did. 11 is just as speedy as 10 was and the added features are totally worth it. Battery life actually appears to be a little bit better.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Hell no. Not worth it at all. I had upgraded my second gen 12.9 Pro to iOS 11 and there was stuttering and horrendous battery drain.[/IMG]

Totally worth it here. I have the second gen 10.5 Pro and it was good on iOS 10 and even better on iOS 11. It certainly doesn’t drain battery any faster, nor does it stutter. It’s just as fast as it was before, if not faster, and it gained some great new features too. iOS 11 was mostly about iPad-specific features and the latest gen of Apple’s iPad Pro can CERTAINLY handle it well.

Reactions: SRLMJ23

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
What would you guys say for someone who has the bigger iPad Pro on 11 already?

Does that change recommending 11 for 9.7 pro or no?

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I wouldn't do it, but my opinion is probably biased on one aspect: my 9.7 Pro (currently on iOS 9.3.4) is my only iPad and practically my only device (I barely use my iPhone). I use it a LOT, so I wouldn't like any type of drop in performance and battery life because I don't have another one.
I don't have experience with any iPad on iOS 11. I've read people's opinions here and initially they were really negative.
Now, people apparently report better results, and you already have an iPad on iOS 11. That sparks two thoughts that are conflicting on me:
-If you already have the experience of iOS 11 (and a better one on the larger Pro, too) why would you risk that chance on the 9.7 Pro if you can already have the experience? Also, the 9.7 Pro has less power than the 12.9, so it has more chance of not working that correctly.
-On the other hand, people in this very thread report really good results, and overall happiness with the update. That gives kind of an argument for updating, now that we are past the initial really flawed versions of iOS 11, so that you can have the improvements of iOS 11 on the 9.7 Pro, too. I still wouldn't risk it, but there's a point in updating there.
Sorry. It's not very helpful. They're just my thoughts on the matter.

Reactions: thadoggfather

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I wouldn't do it, but my opinion is probably biased on one aspect: my 9.7 Pro (currently on iOS 9.3.4) is my only iPad and practically my only device (I barely use my iPhone). I use it a LOT, so I wouldn't like any type of drop in performance and battery life because I don't have another one.
I don't have experience with any iPad on iOS 11. I've read people's opinions here and initially they were really negative.
Now, people apparently report better results, and you already have an iPad on iOS 11. That sparks two thoughts that are conflicting on me:
-If you already have the experience of iOS 11 (and a better one on the larger Pro, too) why would you risk that chance on the 9.7 Pro if you can already have the experience? Also, the 9.7 Pro has less power than the 12.9, so it has more chance of not working that correctly.
-On the other hand, people in this very thread report really good results, and overall happiness with the update. That gives kind of an argument for updating, now that we are past the initial really flawed versions of iOS 11, so that you can have the improvements of iOS 11 on the 9.7 Pro, too. I still wouldn't risk it, but there's a point in updating there.
Sorry. It's not very helpful. They're just my thoughts on the matter.
Why would anyone not update when you get Security fixed with these updates?

I’m starting to think some of these people who say they are on an older OS just to look “cool” that they aren’t on the latest one.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Security updates don’t
Matter much to me tbh, especially if other aspects of
The experience are degraded

I’m not
Afraid of getting hacked surfing the web

I don’t do crucial transaction on my iPad

^^ you raise excellent points in that long post

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Why would anyone not update when you get Security fixed with these updates?

I’m starting to think some of these people who say they are on an older OS just to look “cool” that they aren’t on the latest one.
I'm not trading perceived security for performance. There has never been a massive exploit in the wild for iOS. Not even once. I will not update just to be theoretically secure. Another thought: What about devices that cannot be updated anymore?
I don't think I'm cool for not updating. I have my experiences that made me never update (two updates, two flawed experiences; comparisons between my devices in original versions and those same devices updated). And perfect performance even when devices aren't new anymore kind of confirm my beliefs.

Reactions: thadoggfather

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I'm not trading perceived security for performance. There has never been a massive exploit in the wild for iOS. Not even once. I will not update just to be theoretically secure. Another thought: What about devices that cannot be updated anymore?
I don't think I'm cool for not updating. I have my experiences that made me never update (two updates, two flawed experiences; comparisons between my devices in original versions and those same devices updated). And perfect performance even when devices aren't new anymore kind of confirm my beliefs.
If your device can’t be updated anymore, then it’s time to get a new one. Are you still gone to have a computer running Windows XP? No.

I’m happy with 11.4 on my 9.7 iPad Pro also.

digitalexplr

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2016
Central Missouri
I have been running iOS 11 on my iPP 9.7 since the very early beta days. It is now running 10.4.1 b1 without any issue. Battery life is fine with no degradation. My iPP 9.7 is used daily for fun and business. iOS 11.x.x really makes the iPad shine!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
11.3.1? No, you should update to 11.4, which is the latest version. Always update to the latest version when released. It runs great on the 9.7 iPad Pro.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
If your device can’t be updated anymore, then it’s time to get a new one. Are you still gone to have a computer running Windows XP? No.

But why do I have to get a new one? As an example, my iPod Touch 5G is working flawlessly on iOS 6, love that OS design, and meets all my needs. I don't need nor want a new one. If I update it to iOS 9? Works awfully. Mine runs miles around any iPod Touch 5G on iOS 9.
I had an iPhone 5s on iOS 8. Battery was decent, performance was flawless. It works really badly on iOS 11. Does it make a 5s on iOS 11 suddenly useful, and mine on iOS 8 I should just throw it away? Or cripple it?
Main point is, if they work, flawlessly, why are they suddenly useless just because they cannot run new software even though they meet all my needs and requirements?

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
But why do I have to get a new one? As an example, my iPod Touch 5G is working flawlessly on iOS 6, love that OS design, and meets all my needs. I don't need nor want a new one. If I update it to iOS 9? Works awfully. Mine runs miles around any iPod Touch 5G on iOS 9.
I had an iPhone 5s on iOS 8. Battery was decent, performance was flawless. It works really badly on iOS 11. Does it make a 5s on iOS 11 suddenly useful, and mine on iOS 8 I should just throw it away? Or cripple it?
Main point is, if they work, flawlessly, why are they suddenly useless just because they cannot run new software even though they meet all my needs and requirements?
Again ask any security expert, if a device can’t be updated, it needs to be upgraded. Hey, it’s your data.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Again ask any security expert, if a device can’t be updated, it needs to be upgraded. Hey, it’s your data.
There haven't been any iOS exploits on-the-wild that affected millions of users. I read quite a bit about computer security, I know, but if there aren't any real, non-theoretical threats, it's hard to be convinced to basically cripple my devices - or even worse, throw them away - while fully functional just for a perceived and/or theoretical threat.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

The issue is every iOS update slows down the device. Those who are saying it runs fine have forgotten how it used to run on the iOS version it shipped with. Hence my 2nd gen 12.9 Pro is still on iOS 10.3.3. It's got ProMotion which amplifies even the slightest stutter. I know for a fact that iOS 11 is more demanding to run than iOS 10.

Reactions: FeliApple

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
There haven't been any iOS exploits on-the-wild that affected millions of users. I read quite a bit about computer security, I know, but if there aren't any real, non-theoretical threats, it's hard to be convinced to basically cripple my devices - or even worse, throw them away - while fully functional just for a perceived and/or theoretical threat.
I’ll let you think this.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-49/product_id-15556/Apple-Iphone-Os.html

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The issue is every iOS update slows down the device. Those who are saying it runs fine have forgotten how it used to run on the iOS version it shipped with. Hence my 2nd gen 12.9 Pro is still on iOS 10.3.3. It's got ProMotion which amplifies even the slightest stutter. I know for a fact that iOS 11 is more demanding to run than iOS 10.
But in your own personal experience iOS 10 was better than iOS 9. Doesn't seem that that reconciles with "every iOS update slows down the device".

Reactions: steve62388
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.