Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
11.3.1? No, you should update to 11.4, which is the latest version. Always update to the latest version when released. It runs great on the 9.7 iPad Pro.

It would be 11.3.1 that’s up to debate, not 11.4, since jailbreak is of importance to me

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'd say so since your device isn't really considered old yet and all the new features make it worth it. iOS 12 is rumored to clean up a lot of the issues too so if you wait to see what's going on with that, worst case you'll have to wait a few months to get a solid release.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
The issue is every iOS update slows down the device. Those who are saying it runs fine have forgotten how it used to run on the iOS version it shipped with. Hence my 2nd gen 12.9 Pro is still on iOS 10.3.3. It's got ProMotion which amplifies even the slightest stutter. I know for a fact that iOS 11 is more demanding to run than iOS 10.

iOS 11.4 isn’t any slower than iOS 10 was on my 2nd gen Pro. No stutters at all, ever.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Can you prove it? I don’t take chances. Over 1400 vulnerables and you looked at every single one.:rolleyes:
https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Malware_for_iOS
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_(spyware) (This is a bad one, hasn't affected millions of users directly).
https://www.usenix.org/conference/usenixsecurity14/technical-sessions/presentation/wang_tielei this video shows three possible attack vectors using computers. They are really cool and scary. Again, theoretical...

I mean, you are right in a way: vulnerabilities exist. Millions of them. But not a single one has being used to affect millions of users in-the-wild. Yes, they have attacked some high-value targets, yes, they can work. But the threat is STILL theoretical, millions of users haven't been affected.
Is that worth crippling my device? (It eventually will. If it isn't on iOS 11 it'll be on iOS 12-13). In my honest opinion, no.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Malware_for_iOS
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_(spyware) (This is a bad one, hasn't affected millions of users directly).
https://www.usenix.org/conference/usenixsecurity14/technical-sessions/presentation/wang_tielei this video shows three possible attack vectors using computers. They are really cool and scary. Again, theoretical...

I mean, you are right in a way: vulnerabilities exist. Millions of them. But not a single one has being used to affect millions of users in-the-wild. Yes, they have attacked some high-value targets, yes, they can work. But the threat is STILL theoretical, millions of users haven't been affected.
Is that worth crippling my device? (It eventually will. If it isn't on iOS 11 it'll be on iOS 12-13). In my honest opinion, no.
And I don’t have any issues with it. So yes, I think it’s worth the update.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Stayed on 10.2

Still could go to 11.3.1 with blobs saved, but I really dont feel a need tbh

I love having SE + 9.7 pro locked in at 10.2 and classic CC. SE in particular on 10.2 feels other worldly.

I have 7+ X and 12.9 gen 2 on 11.3.1

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Smart move. iOS 11 is a one way street. Don't like it and you are outta luck

Exactly. No going back. I really dont have any gripes with my setup on either device.

Thats pretty much the extent of my 'modern iOS' collection but I like having some on separate versions too. Im a nerd

Reactions: FeliApple

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Stayed on 10.2

Still could go to 11.3.1 with blobs saved, but I really dont feel a need tbh

I love having SE + 9.7 pro locked in at 10.2 and classic CC. SE in particular on 10.2 feels other worldly.

I have 7+ X and 12.9 gen 2 on 11.3.1
Nice! The classic iOS 7-9 CC is really nice, too. My 6s still is on iOS 9, as my 9.7 Pro.
The need is even lower as you have an iPad on iOS 11. You have a cool setup. I had a 7+ on iOS 10 but I stopped using it because the camera is broken from the factory and grew tired of it.
With a large Pro my setup would be complete. Oh well, can't have everything :)

Reactions: thadoggfather

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Nice! The classic iOS 7-9 CC is really nice, too. My 6s still is on iOS 9, as my 9.7 Pro.
The need is even lower as you have an iPad on iOS 11. You have a cool setup. I had a 7+ on iOS 10 but I stopped using it because the camera is broken from the factory and grew tired of it.
With a large Pro my setup would be complete. Oh well, can't have everything :)

The Music Lock Screen is boss status too with this ColorFlow tweak too, that color coordinates it all. One of my most favorite things EVER (still have it for spotify in app to be color coordinated but not on LS anymore with iOS 11 jb)

colorflow3-cydia.jpg

Dark mode (jailbreak) with iOS 11 music widget aint half bad tho, its clean, just not dynamic with color scheme:

mnIVMXM.jpg

Reactions: FeliApple

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
The Music Lock Screen is boss status too with this ColorFlow tweak too, that color coordinates it all. One of my most favorite things EVER (still have it for spotify in app to be color coordinated but not on LS anymore with iOS 11 jb)

colorflow3-cydia.jpg

Dark mode (jailbreak) with iOS 11 music widget aint half bad tho, its clean, just not dynamic with color scheme:

mnIVMXM.jpg
That first tweak is really nice! Dark Mode's cool. Want to try it on my 2015 MacBook Pro, but I ported update fears from iOS.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Just do it!! My 12.9 Pro performs perfect with 11.4.1—IT’S GREAT!
Don’t hang on to outdated software.
But that's the thing: as I argued on the iOS 12 and planned obsolescence thread, there's no "just do it, you can go back if you aren't happy". It's do it and... Do it. You can't go back. I'm on iOS 9, even older, but it works flawlessly. It's my only iPad. It's too high of a risk.
If he has another iPad already on iOS 11, why risk it? There's no point.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Just do it!! My 12.9 Pro performs perfect with 11.4.1—IT’S GREAT!
Don’t hang on to outdated software.

I’m happy with 11.3.1 performance on my 12.9 and jailbreak is a requirement for me on the phones at least; and very nice to have on the tablet. So no go.

It’s a quantum leap in smoothness from 11.1 too, what I came from.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I wouldn't do it, but my opinion is probably biased on one aspect: my 9.7 Pro (currently on iOS 9.3.4) is my only iPad and practically my only device (I barely use my iPhone). I use it a LOT, so I wouldn't like any type of drop in performance and battery life because I don't have another one.
I don't have experience with any iPad on iOS 11. I've read people's opinions here and initially they were really negative.
Now, people apparently report better results, and you already have an iPad on iOS 11. That sparks two thoughts that are conflicting on me:
-If you already have the experience of iOS 11 (and a better one on the larger Pro, too) why would you risk that chance on the 9.7 Pro if you can already have the experience? Also, the 9.7 Pro has less power than the 12.9, so it has more chance of not working that correctly.
-On the other hand, people in this very thread report really good results, and overall happiness with the update. That gives kind of an argument for updating, now that we are past the initial really flawed versions of iOS 11, so that you can have the improvements of iOS 11 on the 9.7 Pro, too. I still wouldn't risk it, but there's a point in updating there.
Sorry. It's not very helpful. They're just my thoughts on the matter.
I updated my 9.7 to the latest iOS - runs just as good with no problems.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I updated my 9.7 to the latest iOS - runs just as good with no problems.
I see your point, but I can't risk it. I've explained why in detail in the iOS 12 and planned obsolescence thread, if you are interested.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I see your point, but I can't risk it. I've explained why in detail in the iOS 12 and planned obsolescence thread, if you are interested.
I don’t blame you. I usually wait a month or so and check MacRumors before doing any software updates. I really like my 9.7 IPP size and do want to keep it for awhile. So will most likely forego when the 12 iOS comes out.

Right now I have in my opinion the best ever versions of iPhone and iPad. While I will most likely upgrade my 6S Plus this fall, I’m torn between the next Plus phone or the X model. I’d be all over the new X model if not for the complaints of eye strain and headaches from the PWM. Some express no problems and others are affected quickly and return their X's because of it.

I do love MacRumors though to try to sort out things before I purchase. Thanks to everyone for your opinions.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Heh this thread urged me to SE deal hunt

Just got a brand new 32gb space grey

If it’s under 11.4 May jailbreak it

If it’s over I may load iOS 12 beta on it or just do that anyways

Still leaving my gold 64 on 10.2 haha

$87 after tax and that’s including a $30 prepaid sim plan I had to get at att corporate store

Another charge cube lightning cable included 3.5 EarPods and a real sim ejector tool included sweeten the deal!

EDIT: came with 11.2.5 and I jailbroke it while I decide what to do (stay or iOS 12 beta) but tempted to keep it here :D

its so fun having X swipe up and multitasking gestures (disabled when keyboard in use) on this little thing (with a jailbreak tweak)

GxLxvwf.jpg

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I don’t blame you. I usually wait a month or so and check MacRumors before doing any software updates. I really like my 9.7 IPP size and do want to keep it for awhile. So will most likely forego when the 12 iOS comes out.

Right now I have in my opinion the best ever versions of iPhone and iPad. While I will most likely upgrade my 6S Plus this fall, I’m torn between the next Plus phone or the X model. I’d be all over the new X model if not for the complaints of eye strain and headaches from the PWM. Some express no problems and others are affected quickly and return their X's because of it.

I do love MacRumors though to try to sort out things before I purchase. Thanks to everyone for your opinions.
Agree. I use the same combination - 6s and 9.7 Pro, both on iOS 9 - and they work really well for me. I really like my iPad, too. I don't really care about the newer models if the ones I have work well. As far as app compatibility remains solid (no issues with iOS 9, whatsoever) I don't really feel the "urge" to buy a newer model.
I wouldn't buy the X. If I wanted to upgrade, I'd probably buy the 8+ now. I just don't like it.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Agree. I use the same combination - 6s and 9.7 Pro, both on iOS 9 - and they work really well for me. I really like my iPad, too. I don't really care about the newer models if the ones I have work well. As far as app compatibility remains solid (no issues with iOS 9, whatsoever) I don't really feel the "urge" to buy a newer model.
I wouldn't buy the X. If I wanted to upgrade, I'd probably buy the 8+ now. I just don't like it.

I am planning on upgrading to a new phone this fall/winter but I’m torn between staying with the regular Plus version or the new X model. I have a while to make a decision - I guess I really should just be patient to just see what the new models offer, right?

I’ll hold on to the 9.7 IPP as long as I can. I really like this size - it’s perfect for my use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.