Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick786us

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
I am using iPhone 12 Pro Max since July 2021. Should I wait for 15 Pro Max or Get a 14 Pro Max at good deal.
In my knowledge the only new features that iPhone 14 Pro Max can provide on iPhone12 Pro Max are...

1. Dynamic Island.
2. Always on Display and more brightness option
3. 120GHz refresh rates.
4. Bigger Camera with better photography, more zoom, 8K video recording and Cinematic Video.

What's your opinion?

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
say buy what you like. I don’t think USB c is no big of an issue. Since sooner or later they’re gonna go portless. What would you like if I were you I would buy the 15 promax. Just enjoy your device whatever it is

maverick786us

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
What do you need? You literally laid out all the pros and cons, you are aware the 15 will drop the lightning port and switch to USB-C, it's a no-brainer here.

Its good to have USB-C, What I am curious to know is, in terms of features and upgrades does 15 Pro Max provide WOW factor over 14 Pro Max, which is worth the wait?

Reactions: TruthWatcher412

FuriousD

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
UK
I currently have an X and looking to upgrade to the 15 pro. I am waiting until Sept to see what is offers over the 14 pro then will decide whether to get a good deal on 14 pro or go all out of the 15 pro. I am not bothered about USBC i am pretty sure i only currently have only one usbc device.

maverick786us

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
Will the base model of iPhone 15 Pro Max will have 256GB storage? If yes, then I can get 512GB model at the cost of 256GB variant of iPhone 14 Pro Max? Then double the storage and all the new features offered by iPhone 15 Pro Max will simply outweigh 100$ premium.

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
does 15 Pro Max provide WOW factor over 14 Pro Max, which is worth the wait?
Everyone will have their own definition of 'wow factor', but I think we're some way past the point of having huge leaps forward each year. For some time now, it's been about incremental improvements to mature, stable products.

I upgrade regularly because things like small improvements to the camera matter to me, but the reality is an expensive premium phone from 2022 or 2023 doesn't really do anything that an expensive premium phone from 2020 or 2021 did not.

If you like having a new phone (as I do) go for it, but 'wow factor' might be asking a lot.

Will the base model of iPhone 15 Pro Max will have 256GB storage? If yes, then I can get 512GB model at the cost of 256GB variant of iPhone 14 Pro Max? Then double the storage and all the new features offered by iPhone 15 Pro Max will simply outweigh 100$ premium.
We don't know for sure the answers to any of these questions, but bearing in mind the reporting last week, I wouldn't bet on a price drop, even taking into account a new storage starting point.

Last edited:

maverick786us

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
Everyone will have their own definition of 'wow factor', but I think we're some way past the point of having huge leaps forward each year. For some time now, it's been about incremental improvements to mature, stable products.

I upgrade regularly because things like small improvements to the camera matter to me, but the reality is an expensive premium phone from 2022 or 2023 doesn't really do anything that an expensive premium phone from 2020 or 2021 did.

If you like having a new phone (as I do) go for it, but 'wow factor' might be asking a lot.

We don't know for sure the answers to any of these questions, but bearing in mind the reporting last week, I wouldn't bet on a price drop, even taking into account a new storage starting point.

I wasn't talking about Price drop. I know 15 Pro Max models will be more expensive than 14 Pro Max. But let me put it this way, if the base model of iPhone 15 Pro Max is 256 GB, then.

1. the base model of iPhone 15 Pro Max which is 256 GB should cost the same as 128GB 14 Pro Max at its launch price + 100$
2. Similarly a 512GB iPhone 15 Pro Max should costs the same as 256GB 14 Pro Max at its launch price + 100$.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
we’ll know in a couple of months. And even if the 15 PM doesn’t “wow” you, I expect it’ll create a price reduction in the 14PM.

Generally speaking, I would not buy an iPhone between around June 1 and release, unless it was absolutely necessary.

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
I wasn't talking about Price drop. I know 15 Pro Max models will be more expensive than 14 Pro Max. But let me put it this way, if the base model of iPhone 15 Pro Max is 256 GB, then.

1. the base model of iPhone 15 Pro Max which is 256 GB should cost the same as 128GB 14 Pro Max at its launch price + 100$
2. Similarly a 512GB iPhone 15 Pro Max should costs the same as 256GB 14 Pro Max at its launch price + 100$.
We simply don't this, and I don't think it's a reliable supposition.

There is no 'should' about any of this - by which I mean there is no necessary relationship between the year on year launch prices. The prices could go up by $100 as you say, or they could stay the same, or they could go up by $350. It's whatever Apple thinks its markets will bear.

If I had to guess, I'd take the over. Inflation in many countries is higher than its been in decades, and issues relating to supply chains persist - there are plenty more price hikes to come.

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
If you have a well-functioning 12 PM, there is not really a reason to upgrade now, two months before the release of the 15 PM. The 12 PM is still a very capable phone.

Personally, I would wait for the 15 only for the USB-C port, but there will also be other upgrades, like the new chip, a better camera and perhaps 256GB base storage.

MyPhone99

macrumors regular
May 26, 2019
12 PM is more than capable phone unless your device have any other issues. Its no brainer to wait for 15 series and then take the call . The good deal on 14 pro max will still be there even after 15 series phones are out . You may even get a better deal on 14 pro max then what you will be getting now. So wait till release of 15 series

Reactions: maverick786us

maverick786us

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
12 PM is more than capable phone unless your device have any other issues. Its no brainer to wait for 15 series and then take the call . The good deal on 14 pro max will still be there even after 15 series phones are out . You may even get a better deal on 14 pro max then what you will be getting now. So wait till release of 15 series

Thanks I thought after 15 series, the 14 series will be discontinued and all the deals will be gone

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Its good to have USB-C, What I am curious to know is, in terms of features and upgrades does 15 Pro Max provide WOW factor over 14 Pro Max, which is worth the wait?
We are well into the era where all major wow factors have been dried up Either by Apple or by competitors. To put it this way, by just waiting about 2 months, you will get a phone at roughly the same price (with increase of course) that’s going to be better than current one. Do you like that?
No one knows yet. And getting storage based on pricing is not the way I want to go things, to put it that way. I have a target storage capacity level, and get what I want rather than thinking about the pricing too much. Apple device deals are generally far and few between (good one with 10%+ saving for brand new phone), so I would not factor that into the purchasing price, instead take deal as a bonus.
Thanks I thought after 15 series, the 14 series will be discontinued and all the deals will be gone
Depending on where you live, carriers might have leftover stock they want to get rid of for a bit cheaper. Some third party sellers would also release Deals after new phone release. Christmas is a good time to hunt for good deals.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I personally don’t care about USB C. If I was in the market to buy an IPhone, I would wait for IPhone 15 PM launch. You like the feature buy IPhone 15 PM, if not 14 PM will be cheaper after the new iPhone launch. Waiting is probably win-win.

handirev

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2020
"What's your opinion?"
Quite frankly, take it from a guy still using his 2012 MacBook Pro. I am still using it because it works. I know the time will come when I will need to replace it. While there is always a great deal of hype that accompanies every "new" iPhone, much of it is just that, "hype." While the latest chip may be faster, most of that increase is not really noticeable. So, if you don't have any issues with your current iPhone, save your money, keep the phone you have, and wait another year or so. And remember, there are "those people" who have to have the newest iPhone. So, when the time comes to replace your current iPhone, check around for deals on a used one that is one generation behind the current Apple offering and save yourself some money as opposed to buying new. There you have it... "My opinion!"

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I am using iPhone 12 Pro Max since July 2021. Should I wait for 15 Pro Max or Get a 14 Pro Max at good deal.
In my knowledge the only new features that iPhone 14 Pro Max can provide on iPhone12 Pro Max are...

1. Dynamic Island.
3. 120GHz refresh rates.
4. Bigger Camera with better photography, more zoom, 8K video recording and Cinematic Video.

What's your opinion?
Will you actually use the camera features? Are you making and posting videos? Maybe a dedicated camera would be better. Certainly with their larger sensor, you would get better low-light images. If you just need to talk and use text the iPhone 12 is still overkill.

About 8K video. The iPhone does not have an 8K screen. So it is a waste unless you have the means to use it.

The way to decide about upgrading hardware is this: First you identify a problem, something you need to do that you can not do with the current hardware. For example, "My nighttime street photos look grainy and I want smoother images." Then you evaluate solutions. In this example you might find that you need to give up on using a cell phone as a camera. But maybe your problem is that you need a bigger screen for editing documents. In that case any phone with a larger screen would be O, pick the lowest cost big-screen option.

In other words, be logical and work from requirements that you can clearly state.

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL

I upgrade regularly because things like small improvements to the camera matter to me, but the reality is an expensive premium phone from 2022 or 2023 doesn't really do anything that an expensive premium phone from 2020 or 2021 did not.

This is basically what I came here to say, too!

I think the phones are at the point now where you just upgrade because your current one is starting to have issues. Maybe the battery doesn't hold a charge well anymore, or you decided you really want to go with a bigger or a smaller size one next time around. They've all really gotten so expensive, I feel like I've got to get at least a few years of good use out of whichever one I buy to justify the cost.

I finally went with a 13 Pro, shortly after they were released, and the 14 series really didn't offer anything I felt I had to have. I might upgrade to the 15 but if I do, it'll mainly be because I feel like I should have gone with the bigger "Max" size with this 13 and would do that on a 15 to get back to the bigger screen size.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA

1. Dynamic Island.
3. 120GHz refresh rates.

What's your opinion?
Wait until the 15s are announced, then decide after you have real info. Deals on 14s will still exist then if you choose to live with older tech.

Reactions: maverick786us
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.