Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
If I truly needed a new phone now I’d buy one now, otherwise I’d be waiting for the new release at this point. I have a 14PM which I love and I’m not sure that I’ll upgrade, it would be purely for the camera and battery life if I do but honestly my current phone suits my needs perfectly. If I still had a functional 12PM I’d wait for the 15 to upgrade.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
The main camera of the iPhone 15 is still going to be 48 megapixels with a 20% or so larger sensor over the 14 pro. That’s fine, but if Apple doesn’t increase the sensor size of the other two cameras and keep them at 12 megapixels, that’s kind of useless to me. They need to put those other cameras up to at least 24 megapixels. 12 megapixels is getting old and I’m tired of using 12 megapixel cameras. I want higher resolution images to look at on my computer screen or tablet. The 48 megapixel camera on the 14 promax is pretty awesome and I always shoot raw. That’s the only way you’re going to get the best results from that camera but it’s focal length at 24mm is just too wide for portrait work, I usually upgrade to the new iPhone just for the camera alone, nothing else matters to me. USB-C really isn’t a big deal to me. I think the lightning cable holds stronger than the USB-C does. I don’t need to charge my iPhone super fast, high output wattage is bad for the battery anyway. I charge my phones randomly throughout the day up to about 85% and unplug. Currently both of my iPhones are still showing 100% battery capacity since launch day. If Apple decides not to upgrade the sensor size in the other two cameras, then I’ll probably just stick with my 14 pro max.

maverick786us

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
The main camera of the iPhone 15 is still going to be 48 megapixels with a 20% or so larger sensor over the 14 pro. That’s fine, but if Apple doesn’t increase the sensor size of the other two cameras and keep them at 12 megapixels, that’s kind of useless to me. They need to put those other cameras up to at least 24 megapixels. 12 megapixels is getting old and I’m tired of using 12 megapixel cameras. I want higher resolution images to look at on my computer screen or tablet. The 48 megapixel camera on the 14 promax is pretty awesome and I always shoot raw. That’s the only way you’re going to get the best results from that camera but it’s focal length at 24mm is just too wide for portrait work, I usually upgrade to the new iPhone just for the camera alone, nothing else matters to me. USB-C really isn’t a big deal to me. I think the lightning cable holds stronger than the USB-C does. I don’t need to charge my iPhone super fast, high output wattage is bad for the battery anyway. I charge my phones randomly throughout the day up to about 85% and unplug. Currently both of my iPhones are still showing 100% battery capacity since launch day. If Apple decides not to upgrade the sensor size in the other two cameras, then I’ll probably just stick with my 14 pro max.
I presume if they don't increase the size of the sensor, they might figure out a way to overcome it by superimposing images using the computational power and AI engine of of A17 Pro CPU. I think in future the concept of photography will change where AI engine of CPUs will replace physical hardware like Sensors, lens, apertures and so on.

I don't want to post something bit off the topic. I am just excited about Cinematic Video recording provided by iPhone 14 Pro Max, is this something that provides one hell of a difference if you are recording choreography video or some performance video on stage? If the stage is bit far from you, high optical zoom with Cinematic Video will make me feel the difference compared to normal video recording using the optical zoom that limited to 2.5X zoom in my iPhone 12 Pro Max?

I know that in iPhone 14 Pro Max models, there is a limitation in Cinematic Video recording mode, that at 4K, you can only record up to 24FPS (though I am not sure). With A17 Pro CPU can apple overcome this limitation and the user will be able to record 4K Videos at 60 FPS in Cinematic mode?

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
No brainer is to use wireless/MagSafe, never use a cable.
Why would I buy more stuff if the whole point of single charging cable standard is to buy less and reuse the existing?
A single charger for my laptop, my ipad, my iphone. It doesn't take much brain to understand that.
USB C is overrated on Macrumors
I am not Macrumors, but it's just plain simple. One charger, one cable.
if that’s the big selling point of iPhone 15, buy iPhone 14 and save money.
What? I am not even asking the question of 14/15 and saying "if USB-C is your key value in iPhone 15, buy iPhone 14 instead" just doesn't make any sense.
Most folks already have lightening and couldn’t care less.
We all have Lightning ports and the whole point is to drop them.

Last edited:

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
If you can hold out until then, I would wait until the 15 is announced and then make a decision from there. We don’t know 100% what will come with the 15 series until Apple announce it.

Reactions: maverick786us

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
I've gone 100 MagSafe so the whole Lightning/USB-C issue is a non-issue for me. At this point I would wait for another 2 months and see what drops. Unless you're in desperate need for a new phone right this minute, patience will be the best course of action.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I just ordered a 14 pro max today. I’m upgrading now because we needed a phone for our business, so i’m getting the new shiny 14 and my 2020 SE is becoming the work phone.

I also wanted it now because we Are going on vacation next week and wanted a better camera… if it was a mac i would of waited but the phones don’t bother me that much.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I just ordered a 14 pro max today. I’m upgrading now because we needed a phone for our business, so i’m getting the new shiny 14 and my 2020 SE is becoming the work phone.

I also wanted it now because we Are going on vacation next week and wanted a better camera… if it was a mac i would have waited but the phones don’t bother me that much.
Excellent!!! Unless the iPhone 15 pro max has an amazing camera, I’ll stick with my iPhone 14 pro max (I have two) and they both serve me well for photography. As I mentioned previously, if the telephoto and ultra wide cameras don’t get larger sensors (24mp or higher) then I probably won’t be interested. I don’t shoot much video, but when I do, I use the Cinema P3 app with Beastgrip accessories.

You’ll love the camera! Shoot ProRAW if you can to have that 48mp file. Otherwise there are other third party apps that allow jpeg or HEIF files in 48mp without using ProRAW.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
IMHO if you have the 12 Pro Max I’d stick with it until the 16 Pro Max.
I went from an 11PM to the 14 PM and frankly, wish I’d held on to the 11 PM. One of the biggest problems with the 14 PM is the camera processing algorithms. Phots are ridiculously oversharpent to the point where the start looking like watercolor paintings. Now, that said, Apple seems to have taken notice and really backed down on the processing in iOS17 (at least in the dev betas).
14 will offer you very little and the 15 doesn’t seem much grander.
I’ holding out for at least the 16 or better yet, the 17.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
IMHO if you have the 12 Pro Max I’d stick with it until the 16 Pro Max.
I went from an 11PM to the 14 PM and frankly, wish I’d held on to the 11 PM. One of the biggest problems with the 14 PM is the camera processing algorithms. Phots are ridiculously oversharpent to the point where the start looking like watercolor paintings. Now, that said, Apple seems to have taken notice and really backed down on the processing in iOS17 (at least in the dev betas).
14 will offer you very little and the 15 doesn’t seem much grander.
I’ holding out for at least the 16 or better yet, the 17.
I think the over-sharpened photos people seem to get come from shooting in jpeg or HEIF which are highly compressed image files. Also camera settings can play a role and poor technique as well. I think the default iPhone camera has the photographic styles applied and other added stuff to the image to help make a better photo to compensate for camera users who have no experience or knowledge of photography. Third party apps like Moment, Halide, ProCamera don’t have the over-sharpened compression applied. I know some people don’t like to use third party apps because they may feel slower etc, but to take a photo, a camera app on the iPhone has to be opened in order to do so, right? Shooting in RAW with the iPhone and even a DSLR is the only way to achieve the best image quality overall.

maverick786us

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
I think the over-sharpened photos people seem to get come from shooting in jpeg or HEIF which are highly compressed image files. Also camera settings can play a role and poor technique as well. I think the default iPhone camera has the photographic styles applied and other added stuff to the image to help make a better photo to compensate for camera users who have no experience or knowledge of photography. Third party apps like Moment, Halide, ProCamera don’t have the over-sharpened compression applied. I know some people don’t like to use third party apps because they may feel slower etc, but to take a photo, a camera app on the iPhone has to be opened in order to do so, right? Shooting in RAW with the iPhone and even a DSLR is the only way to achieve the best image quality overall.
I would like to add point. Most of us in this form are niche users, technical enthusiastic and we have the knowledge of photography, so we prefer natural images. But we are in minority.

For majority of users like over sharpened image having vibrant colors . For them these are factors that decide the quality of an image. Take the example of my mom. She owns a Galaxy S22 Ultra. She took a picture which was natural and she compared those pictures with a museum piece, a 10 year old Galaxy S6 that had curved edges. Looking into the picture taken from that device, with all those vibrant color, she thinks that S6 takes better pictures.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2019
My opinion:

Phones have become replaceable tools, like toasters. There is no big "wow" factor that exists anymore when you upgrade. an iPhone 14 Max and an iPhone 15 Max will be extremely similar. Upgrade if:
1. The phone needs to be replaced.
2. The phone isn't getting any more software updates
3. There's a feature on a phone you absolutely have to acquire.

So far, I'm not seeing any new amazing "wow" feature for an iPhone 15 Max.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I’ve noticed this with my wife’s photos as she tends to shoot in portrait mode a lot. I made the switch from iPhone to a Sony a7 mk3 and loved it but i must admit I’ve not used it in over a year. I took it on vacation last year and barely took any photos as it was pain lugging it round at Disney in the heat! This year I’m just going to stick with my phone and see how i get on.

Reactions: ToddH

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I hear you but I’ve used all those apps and others. I still feel the 14pM falls short.
As I said, though iOS 17 is a huge improvement.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I’ve noticed this with my wife’s photos as she tends to shoot in portrait mode a lot. I made the switch from iPhone to a Sony a7 mk3 and loved it but i must admit I’ve not used it in over a year. I took it on vacation last year and barely took any photos as it was pain lugging it round at Disney in the heat! This year I’m just going to stick with my phone and see how i get on.
I had two Sony A7R III cameras. Recently got rid of those and replaced them with one A7R V and a couple of new lenses. The 50mm f/1.2 GM and the newer Sigma 85mm Art. Great camera! You’ll do fun with the iPhone as a main camera. I took that on last year when in Colorado for a week. All I used was my iPhone 13 Pro Max for everything. I shot everything in ProRAW though. Jpeg photos are bad to use unless it’s just a snapshot because of the high compression and because of the fact no deep shadows or overexposed highlights can be recovered like they can when using raw. The only photos I took in jpeg format were the controlled and properly exposed 3x panoramas like this one.

IMG_1957.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.