Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should the site be renamed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
The label on the tin, no longer describes what this site contains. The majority of the content is more iOS and non Mac Hardware related, and like Apple did some years ago, when they dropped 'Computers' from it's name, is it time this site got a name makeover.

If it was, what would you change it too...

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
The name is very well known, changing it would be more trouble than it is worth. Once you connect with the current URL, you can search a multitude of topics with out any reference to the name.
I don't disagree with that, although I see branding as more important than convenience. Facebook changed to Meta, Apple Computers to simply Apple. As the post from Arn shows, this site has already 'got' an Apple prefix, and as many companies have done, you simply redirect from one to the other, not losing the identity of one immediately, whilst creating the identity of the other.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don't disagree with that, although I see branding as more important than convenience. Facebook changed to Meta, Apple Computers to simply Apple. As the post from Arn shows, this site has already 'got' an Apple prefix, and as many companies have done, you simply redirect from one to the other, not losing the identity of one immediately, whilst creating the identity of the other.
Just because you can change the corporate identity doesn't mean you should. Facebook changed to meta, imo, to elevate and isolate themselves from the sleazy organization they really are and to bring an air about their place in the digital world (🤬). Apple Computers is in fact more accurate a corporate name today than Apple.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
The Mac rumors are way more interesting than the other rumours anyways, why change away from that

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Also Facebook didn’t change the name of the Facebook product itself. That would be a huge mistake. They just changed the parent company name.
In many ways, when you look at the branding of the title mast, it really is Apple MacRumors, using the image of an apple. Significant enough for you to have ensured you snapped up the applerumours.com domain too.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
True it not my site, but as a forum member, of length, I can still ask that question. In the forum you frequent a lot, there are many posts where an option is given, not offered, but the community accepts.
no. this is like asking your friends to rename their child because you don’t like the name they chose.

it is not your money. vision, or time that will be impacted. you don’t get a say.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
no. this is like asking your friends to rename their child because you don’t like the name they chose.

it is not your money. vision, or time that will be impacted. you don’t get a say.

And it’s posted on the site feedback board as the thought process outlined by the op isn’t wrong from a content perspective. Arn took it well, I don’t think anyone else should make determinations on what forum members can’t ask him.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011

As others have said, asking the question is acceptable, and Arn has been a gentleman about it. It's clear already that the community feels it's appropriate to keep the name, and so does the 'owners', which is more relevant. The analogy you suggested doesn't cut it, many organisations talk with it's community on it's strategic direction etc. Someone commentated that you might not yet have had your coffee, I hope it's that, not the past rearing it's ugly head.

David G.

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska
Also Facebook didn’t change the name of the Facebook product itself. That would be a huge mistake. They just changed the parent company name.
Are we going to pretend "TheFacebook" and thefacebook.com never happened?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.