Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should the site be renamed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chkay

Suspended
May 27, 2022
Never! Most of us have been coming here long before iPhones were even a thing.

Plus it would play hell with the SEO and tank the traffic for a considerable amount of time. Not in any way, shape, or form worth it.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
You know, when Apple came out with iPhone they considered changing their name to "iPle". But, the name "Apple" already had a slight bit of mind share, so they didn't. Macrumors has even more mind share than Apple, so they should follow their lead. Don't touch what ain't broken.

riccinini

Suspended
Sep 14, 2022
The problem is real rumors don't exist anymore. Apple runs a tight ship where nothing leaks out.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Facebook changed to Meta
Facebook renamed itself to Meta because the Facebook brand was becoming toxic, as it should. The “we want to rebrand to better reflect our focus on VR” stuff was a convenient excuse.

There might come a day where they rename the Facebook app too, or just part its functionality out to Instagram, WhatsApp, etc. With Marketplace, Stories, Messenger, etc., they largely already have.

Anyway, MacRumors should stay MacRumors — while it’s not nearly the size of Facebook, too much equity in the name to give it up now.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
No way. Macrumors rolls of the tongue effortlessly, and it’s memorable.

Now McRumors is something I can get on board with.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Thanks everyone for contributing, and allowing all idea to be debated without fear or predijuce. As a society, we need to keep challenging what we do, especially the things nearest and dearest. It was a question I had long pondered, when the site become full of new iPhone users, and Epic gamers who despised Apple for the direction it took.

I'm now happy to put the question to bed, and grateful that the 'no' won, and not the 'ban the op'. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: G5isAlive and JM

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Thanks everyone for contributing, and allowing all idea to be debated without fear or predijuce. As a society, we need to keep challenging what we do, especially the things nearest and dearest. It was a question I had long pondered, when the site become full of new iPhone users, and Epic gamers who despised Apple for the direction it took.

I'm now happy to put the question to bed, and grateful that the 'no' won, and not the 'ban the op'. 😉
Beautiful. Haha

• Love
Reactions: Madonepro

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011

Thanks for posting that. I'll now stop my back-channel efforts to get you banned. :)

• Haha
Reactions: JM

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
The label on the tin, no longer describes what this site contains. The majority of the content is more iOS and non Mac Hardware related, and like Apple did some years ago, when they dropped 'Computers' from it's name, is it time this site got a name makeover.
It's OK. It also contains a lot of content NOT about "rumors". But we can figure it out. No name change required.

If you WERE going to change the name, I would suggest "PeopleWhoLikeAppleButComplainAboutAlotOfReallyPettyStuff.com".

• Sad
Reactions: Madonepro

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
The news coverage is also getting diluted across anything tech with the increase in Twitter focus as the latest example. The editors need to figure out what they want the site to be and go for it. It seems like it's going towards Engadget with covering so many topics beyond mac/Apple. I find myself visiting MR less frequently and instead follow Mac/iOS focused IG instead; they offer coverage like MR used to.

Reactions: dylanthomas

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
I've been here since 2002. This site is like a nice, comfy pair of jeans. There may be a few holes and the cuffs are frayed because I'm getting shorter in my old age, but I still like 'em. Maybe the name Mac Rumors doesn't completely fit anymore, but it's still comfy.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
It's all good - especially as they own the applerumors.com too.
Mac was 1st out, would be no Apple without the Mac.

BlueGhost

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2015
Ohio
There would be potentially big costs in a name change, including loss of name recognition. Remember that MacRumors makes money thru various means. To me, the current name is perfect, much of what is on the site is rumors, nothing more. The Facebook to Meta change and Google to Alphabet change worked out well, right? LOL What is next, Microsoft changes to Wokeysoft?

BlairMALL

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
Chesapeake, VA
True it's not my site or business, but as long time poster, I believe I can still ask the question. In the forum you frequent a lot, there are many posts where an option is given, not offered, but which the community accepts.
I agree with you, and it is an interesting question.

However, as I consider the question, it seems that while it could be done and may have valid rationale, it hardly seems worth it. Even with a shift in general focus, at the core Macrumors is very much the same site it has been for the last 20 plus years (fact check history… I am in my fifties and I don’t remember how old I was when I first started visiting… I just know it was long before iPhones). When there are “Mac“ rumors afoot, this the place to go. You simply get much more than that along the way. My vote… www.macrumors.com forever…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.