Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marswarrior462

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2020
Calgary, AB, Canada
In light of Mark Gurman's recent report that Apple was working on developing touchscreen Macs (which we previously thought was never going to happen), would it be too much to ask if Macs got Apple Pencil support? If I bought a MacBook Pro with Apple Pencil support and the ability to run Procreate, I'd sell my iPad Pro. What's the point of iPads anymore? No matter how high end the hardware is, the iPad is always going to be a bad computer and it's Apple's fault because they keep neglecting the software, especially considering that the iPad is now no longer less expensive than a decently specced laptop. Besides, most Macs have much more screen real estate than an iPad, so you have more freedom to draw a masterpiece. Even if the iPad had decent software, the software upgrade would nuke the iPad's already terrible battery life to the point of being unusable when unplugged, so the battery life of recent MacBooks would be a huge advantage anyways. So why not just give the MacBook Pro Apple Pencil support (and maybe Face ID if you can figure out how to fit the components into such a thin display lid) and call it a day?

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
In light of Mark Gurman's recent report that Apple was working on developing touchscreen Macs (which we previously thought was never going to happen), would it be too much to ask if Macs got Apple Pencil support? If I bought a MacBook Pro with Apple Pencil support and the ability to run Procreate, I'd sell my iPad Pro. What's the point of iPads anymore? No matter how high end the hardware is, the iPad is always going to be a bad computer and it's Apple's fault because they keep neglecting the software, especially considering that the iPad is now no longer less expensive than a decently specced laptop. Besides, most Macs have much more screen real estate than an iPad, so you have more freedom to draw a masterpiece. Even if the iPad had decent software, the software upgrade would nuke the iPad's already terrible battery life to the point of being unusable when unplugged, so the battery life of recent MacBooks would be a huge advantage anyways. So why not just give the MacBook Pro Apple Pencil support (and maybe Face ID if you can figure out how to fit the components into such a thin display lid) and call it a day?

Why SHOULDN'T them get Apple Pencil support?

Apple's decision of restricting the Apple Pencil only to the iPad seems bizarre, IMHO. They should at least have allowed them to work with the iPhone.

Their reasoning is always that they want to tie the Apple Pencil to the iPad, so that you would be compelled to buy it.
But IMHO, they are shooting themselves in the foot. The Apple Pencil is one of the best stylii ever created, but most artists won't really buy an iPad just for the Apple Pencil. Most of them will either buy a Huion tablet, a standalone stylus or a Wacom Cintiq, which are more flexible.

If they allowed the Apple Pencil to work everywhere, it would be one more argument in favor of it. And with it working with the Macbook, the very least we could do is to least sign documents more easily.

No matter how high end the hardware is, the iPad is always going to be a bad computer [...]

If Apple doesn't watch out, they are going to be left behind, plain and simple.

This is entirely Apple's fault and pride, because it's clear at this point the iPad has the capacity to run a desktop-class operating system. For example, the hypervisor IS available to the iPad, but Apple will artificially restrict it so users will be forced to run virtual machines (and full-blown OSes) with a Macbook.

What they haven't considered is that tablets from competitors are catching up. The Surface is not as powerful yet, but it's getting faster and faster, and the i7 version has eGPU support and can connect to full-blown Windows. So it has far more uses cases.

Samsung's alternative, the Galaxy S7, DOESN'T have a full-blown desktop OS, but at least it functions more like a Desktop OS when docked, allowing Windows to be aligned as you wish.

Marswarrior462

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2020
Calgary, AB, Canada
Why SHOULDN'T them get Apple Pencil support?

Apple's decision of restricting the Apple Pencil only to the iPad seems bizarre, IMHO. They should at least have allowed them to work with the iPhone.

Their reasoning is always that they want to tie the Apple Pencil to the iPad, so that you would be compelled to buy it.
But IMHO, they are shooting themselves in the foot. The Apple Pencil is one of the best stylii ever created, but most artists won't really buy an iPad just for the Apple Pencil. Most of them will either buy a Huion tablet, a standalone stylus or a Wacom Cintiq, which are more flexible.

If they allowed the Apple Pencil to work everywhere, it would be one more argument in favor of it. And with it working with the Macbook, the very least we could do is to least sign documents more easily.

If Apple doesn't watch out, they are going to be left behind, plain and simple.

This is entirely Apple's fault and pride, because it's clear at this point the iPad has the capacity to run a desktop-class operating system. For example, the hypervisor IS available to the iPad, but Apple will artificially restrict it so users will be forced to run virtual machines (and full-blown OSes) with a Macbook.

What they haven't considered is that tablets from competitors are catching up. The Surface is not as powerful yet, but it's getting faster and faster, and the i7 version has eGPU support and can connect to full-blown Windows. So it has far more uses cases.

Samsung's alternative, the Galaxy S7, DOESN'T have a full-blown desktop OS, but at least it functions more like a Desktop OS when docked, allowing Windows to be aligned as you wish.
I whole heartedly agree. The iPad has become pointless now. I don't think I can recommend it to most people, unless you're some rich artist with money to spare that needs all this memory and specially requires an Apple Pencil, but for everybody else, just save your money and buy a MacBook Pro instead

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
What would you use as the surface for drawing? Even if they add touchscreens to Macbooks as rumored, there is no way drawing on an upright screen is a comfortable experience for any amount of time.

I would love to see basically a Macbook that does not have a keyboard and trackpad and is pretty much just a tablet that I can hook to my preferred peripherals. When iPadOS was announced, I was hoping the iPad Pro would with time turn into this, but now the hardware is basically that but the operating system is just a worse way to use a computer.

Reactions: jchap and erikkfi

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
I whole heartedly agree. The iPad has become pointless now. I don't think I can recommend it to most people, unless you're some rich artist with money to spare that needs all this memory and specially requires an Apple Pencil, but for everybody else, just save your money and buy a MacBook Pro instead

Don't get me wrong, drawing on the iPad is an AMAZING experience. It feels REALLY natural. And it really has an AMAZING processor. The restrictions it has are purely artificial, based on a business decision. If Apple would at least allow for virtualization, we would at least be able to run a full-blown OS on our own.

But guess what: they don't want to give up that control, so it's Apple's short-sightedness made it only unique for drawing. Or using it as a second monitor.

Which is why I'm probably staying away from Apple on anything that is not a cellphone when I upgrade. Their need for control puts the user at their mercy. When they decide to make the iPad obsolete, all it takes is for Procreate not to be updated anymore and you'll have a beautiful brick.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
What would you use as the surface for drawing? Even if they add touchscreens to Macbooks as rumored, there is no way drawing on an upright screen is a comfortable experience for any amount of time.

Easy: with the keyboard as-is, you would use the Macbook screen for quick tasks, e.g, signatures.
If they want to modify this device for drawing, they have two solutions.

• Make the keyboard detachable. This would turn the Macbook into an iPad, which means it will probably kill the iPad.

• Allow the keyboard to move at an angle, so that you can rest it behind the monitor. Making it adjustable like that could make it easier for users to draw.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
only if there is a Toggle Off for the pencil on a Mac.
I don't need a tropical moth or insect redrawing my comics!
(my publishers might tho....)

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Easy: with the keyboard as-is, you would use the Macbook screen for quick tasks, e.g, signatures.
If they want to modify this device for drawing, they have two solutions.

• Make the keyboard detachable. This would turn the Macbook into an iPad, which means it will probably kill the iPad.

• Allow the keyboard to move at an angle, so that you can rest it behind the monitor. Making it adjustable like that could make it easier for users to draw.
Did you know you can already use the trackpad to write a signature? Or an iPhone/iPad and save it on Mac? Or your webcam with a paper drawn signature?

For drawing, the screen would probably have to fold over the keyboard like a Logitech Slim Folio iPad case.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
Did you know you can already use the trackpad to write a signature? Or an iPhone/iPad and save it on Mac? Or your webcam with a paper drawn signature?

I don't have a Macbook, but my guess is that the Trackpad doesn't have pressure sensitivity – or else it would be like a drawing tablet, and you wouldn't need to buy one. I don't hear anyone talking about not buying one to draw when they buy a Macbook.

Pressure sensitivity is really important because it's one of the KEY ingredients that makes a drawing tablet special. For example, save for the slippery glass, writing with an iPad feels almost like you're using pencil and paper, and you can make it look almost identical to something done by hand. Believe me, that's an impressive feat.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
The entire world has known that touchscreens for laptops are stupid for 30 years now (see also: "Gorilla arm"). Pencils will have the same problem. Pencils and touchscreens are for tablets. Tablets and laptops aren't remotely the same thing.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I don't have a Macbook, but my guess is that the Trackpad doesn't have pressure sensitivity – or else it would be like a drawing tablet, and you wouldn't need to buy one. I don't hear anyone talking about not buying one to draw when they buy a Macbook.

Pressure sensitivity is really important because it's one of the KEY ingredients that makes a drawing tablet special. For example, save for the slippery glass, writing with an iPad feels almost like you're using pencil and paper, and you can make it look almost identical to something done by hand. Believe me, that's an impressive feat.
I used Wacom drawing tablets (or more like drawing surfaces) for years and don't really wish to return to that. Having a screen where you can directly draw is so much more intuitive and comfortable than a pressure sensitive surface that pretty much controls a cursor.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
No, but iPads should have macOS support. When docked, full macOS, when undocked iOS UI. Or allow a manual switch. They're going to call it AppleOS and we're going to love it. ;)

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
I used Wacom drawing tablets (or more like drawing surfaces) for years and don't really wish to return to that. Having a screen where you can directly draw is so much more intuitive and comfortable than a pressure sensitive surface that pretty much controls a cursor.

Wacom has the Cintiq line, which is awesome and allows for drawing on the screen. But it is much more expensive than the iPad.

What Apple seems to have done on purpose is that the Apple Pencil won't draw without a battery, while all Wacom pens are passive, as you probably already know (meaning they don't ever require a battery).

This is another reason why I'm probably moving away from Apple next time. Since you can't remove the battery of the Apple Pencil and it won't draw without a battery, it's designed to eventually fail. And as Apple has shown with the first and the second generation Apple pencil, some Apple Pencil models are only compatible with some tablets. What happens when they decide to discontinue the 1st generation Apple Pencil? Too bad, you can't draw with your iPad anymore, no matter if it is in good condition.

It turns out some people found out you CAN replace the battery if you destroy the case, sold the new battery, and replace the case of the Apple Pencil with a 3D printed one. But it's too much work, and I've only seen a shop in Thailand and another guy in Russia attempting that.

Meanwhile, with Wacom models, we have models that will last for 20+ years. I have myself one of their tablets that is 15+ years old. Yes, it sucks (always has). But it still works flawlessly.

Last edited:

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
The entire world has known that touchscreens for laptops are stupid for 30 years now (see also: "Gorilla arm"). Pencils will have the same problem. Pencils and touchscreens are for tablets. Tablets and laptops aren't remotely the same thing.
Take this use case. You’re typing a post on MacRumors. You want to select a word previously typed to replace.
Touch: Double-tap the word, type the replacement
Pointer: Waggle the pointer to find out where it is, move it to the word, double-click, replace

The first will always be faster than than the second… see, tap, done.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
The iPad Pro
Ah, so the iPad IS still less expensive than a decently specced laptop, it’s just the iPad Pro that isn’t. Which, in my mind doesn’t even factor into whether the Mac should get pencil support. My assumption is that it would, so, to me, it’s not a question. Though the post does elicit responses, so good job! :)

BTW, the point of the iPad is to be a low cost computing device for those with low level needs. That’s why Apple usually sells twice as many iPads as Macs. By now, there are a great number of people who’ve had an iPad as their first computing device and will likely never see a mouse interface as “user friendly” (like folks that grew up using mice don’t see the command line as “user friendly”).

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
yes . i almost never use my ipad and almost always end up annotating with the trackpad

for some sporadic pencil note taking, signatures , completing forms , it'd be a blessing

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
Ah, so the iPad IS still less expensive than a decently specced laptop, it’s just the iPad Pro that isn’t. Which, in my mind doesn’t even factor into whether the Mac should get pencil support. My assumption is that it would, so, to me, it’s not a question. Though the post does elicit responses, so good job! :)

BTW, the point of the iPad is to be a low cost computing device for those with low level needs. That’s why Apple usually sells twice as many iPads as Macs. By now, there are a great number of people who’ve had an iPad as their first computing device and will likely never see a mouse interface as “user friendly” (like folks that grew up using mice don’t see the command line as “user friendly”).
But that’s not the only option for bringing Apple Pencil support to the Mac. The 10th gen will work and is $449, plus $99 for the Pencil, of course.
10"/11" is no match for mba 13.3"

we must talk about similary sized and specced devices

ipad pro 12.9+256gb+magic keyboard+pencil 2 = 2177 euros

mba m1 8/256= 12000 euros

mba m2 13.6 8/256 = 15000 euros

• Haha
Reactions: jdb8167

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
even if you're poor you'll need an ipad , if an artist you are :)

also the main point of the ipad for me is that i can hold it vertically , for vertical pdf , comics .

but i agree otherwise

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I'm gonna have to say no. Can't imagine it'd be pleasant writing or drawing on a wobbly/non-sturdy vertical screen.

By the way, the Mac and some apps already do have Apple Pencil support. You just need an iPad and use SideCar.

For digital artists, they already have specialized tools made for them - digitizers or Wacom tablets (or use the Apple Pencil through SideCar).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.