Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Panthera Uncia

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2012
Amsterdam
Why is it that most office chairs only have less than 3 inches of crappy cushion?/QUOTE]

So that you may maintain proper posture, more cushioning might mean that you sit more comfortable but also with an improper 'slouchy' posture that could be detrimental to your back in the long run.

I know it can be hard but I would spend more than 400 on an office chair, just think about the amount of time you spend in your chair and then it usually becomes a justifiable expense, especially in the long run. Expensive chairs from HM, Knoll and Vitra are not only better designed but will last a whole lot longer. One of my Eames chairs is 27 years old and the other 17 years, both look reasonably new and the fabric between the frame hasn't sagged one bit. I don't see most 400 dollar chairs do that. And besides that there is that oh so subjective thing of how pretty I think they are. ;)

Oh and take a proper 'test-run' with the chairs, people's bodies are very different and one might find that for example the Aeron sits wonderfully whilst an Aluminium group is horrible or vice versa, or they might even hate or love the way they seat both equally. It's a very personal thing.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I have the large sized Aeron at work (I am tall) and a large IMG reclining office chair at home:

mother of god that thing just screams "bring me a sipping whiskey!"

beautiful setup:D

----------

Heres mine.....sorry the cats chair.

Actually lol, I'd bought it to replace my other one, but it just....didn't feel right. So now it's the cats chair and for other people that visit!

i'll get you next time gadget

Markovich

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
Central Ohio
The best office chair ever made is The Herman Miller Aeron Chair!! http://www.forum-office-chairs.com I have been buying, selling, trading and refurbishing these chairs for many years and once you buy one you may become an Aeronatic. People who own them know what I mean.

Respectfully, I disagree. I worked for a huge telecom/ISP a few years ago, every office was equipped with an Aeron chair. We all thought they were cool looking, but soon discovered that the chair wasn't what it was all cracked up to be. Taller guys ( like me) felt the seat was too short and made our legs numb. As with most large offices, the AC was always too cold and the open fabric of the chair provided no "warmth"

The whole "air" effect simply resulted in little support. The adjustable lumbar support bar failed constantly.

The most funny flaw was the seat fabric would be rough on your rear pants pockets, especially those with wallets in them. You'd see guys walking down hallways with holes worn in the wallet pocket. Most of us just placed towels or small blankets on the seats to make them more comfortable and mitigate that issue.

I'd rather have a full cushioned chair myself.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Respectfully, I disagree. I worked for a huge telecom/ISP a few years ago, every office was equipped with an Aeron chair. We all thought they were cool looking, but soon discovered that the chair wasn't what it was all cracked up to be. Taller guys ( like me) felt the seat was too short and made our legs numb. As with most large offices, the AC was always too cold and the open fabric of the chair provided no "warmth"

The whole "air" effect simply resulted in little support. The adjustable lumbar support bar failed constantly.

The most funny flaw was the seat fabric would be rough on your rear pants pockets, especially those with wallets in them. You'd see guys walking down hallways with holes worn in the wallet pocket. Most of us just placed towels or small blankets on the seats to make them more comfortable and mitigate that issue.

I'd rather have a full cushioned chair myself.
I am 6'5 and the large version of the chair works fine for me. I have my desk up on risers or it would not even fit under it...it barely does even with the desk on risers. I have the same issue on my IMG chair at home, but I don't tuck it under the desk.

I also like the mesh since, as I mentioned, the temperature in my office is often higher than I like (I explained this in a prior post). Also, I was not a fan of the Aeron chair lumbar pad, but I do like the Posturefit Lumbar kit. I think this may come down to preference, though.

The main reason I commenting is that I did not realize that the chair was the reason my back pockets are wearing through so quickly. I will definitely be putting the wallet in a front pocket when I sit down now. I figured the pants I was wearing had an issue, but I wasn't sure since they are Bills Khakis and they have always been great quality in the past. However, I recently bought some new pants by another company recently and they are having the same issue. Now I know why!

Thanks for the info!

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Ikea office set up.

2011-09-22_08-37-52_919.jpg

I don't think there is a better chair for the money. I love my IKEA Markus chair and it's much more comfortable than much more expensive chairs I've tried.

zen97

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
TX
Just ordered the Herman Miller Embody (Polished Aluminum Base / White frame / Iris Balance Fabric Seat and Back) should have it in about 5 weeks.

Attachments

• 0017105_embody-chair.jpeg
    0017105_embody-chair.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 458

Chad233

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2014
Hey Guys!

It was hard for me to find a good chair but I found this really good site that helped me figure out which chair to get. It does a great job breaking down all of the different chair styles and price ranges so anyone can find a good chair within their budget.

http://www.comfyofficechair.com

Here is the chair I ended up buying:

41acU65Pt-L._SL160_.jpg

Its not the best chair out there but its also pretty affordable as far as chairs go.

- Chad

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
24040725i_01.jpg

Brenton Studio Jaylen Air Mesh Manager Chair

I actually just picked up this guy on Sunday for $90 at Office Max. My goal was to find something under $180 and that looked good for hot weather. I just moved to Texas so all these big leather executive chairs I usually get was definitely not what I was after. I'm very happy with this chair so far.

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
Just ordered the Herman Miller Embody (Polished Aluminum Base / White frame / Iris Balance Fabric Seat and Back) should have it in about 5 weeks.

Very close to getting that yesterday as well, unfortunately, with the latest purchase of the RiMac I couldn't bring myself to do it... yet..

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A few weeks before Christmas I ordered an office chair from the German company Klober - it was something I have been thinking about for quite a considerable period of time.

The actual chair is called the 'Management Task Chair' and it is from their 'Moteo' (executive) line.

Anyway, I asked for the back and seat to be made from leather - because I love leather. It is being made to order in Germany, and yes, it is eye-wateringly expensive, but I sit, read, write, and research for a lot, of the day it makes sense to have a beautifully designed, professional, properly equipped, ergonomic chair.

It should be ready in a few weeks time.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Cheap all mesh chair from Costco in my home office/gaming room. My room is pretty small... so it's the perfect size.

office_chair.png

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
ABrFWAQ.jpg

At home, I have a dxracer king series.

At work I use some half cushion half mesh office star chair. It's no aeron chair, but still really darn nice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.