Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ultracyclist

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2014
Zwijndrecht, Netherlands
LG 40WP95C-W 5K2K, 12.9 M2 iPad Pro.
Have to say I’m disappointed, thought this could transform my WFH set up but the inability to scale the apps on this monitor makes it a waste of (significant) space.
Even with apps like excel which can be scaled ‘in app’ to give more columns and rows, the app itself doesn’t scale so the ribbon remains huuuuge.
Hopefully some one can tell me I’ve set it up wrong or am doing something else wrong otherwise this M2 pro is just a waste of money. :(
View attachment 2137092
You should be able to drag the corners and scale the apps on the external monitor.

Reactions: Bedfordblue

Bedfordblue

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2023
You should be able to drag the corners and scale the apps on the external monitor.
Can change the size of the window by dragging the corners and the apps re-arrange the content but the scaling within remains pretty much the same, ie text / font is way larger than it needs to be. I’ll take some images and post them later of the comparison between an M1 MacBook Pro the iPad. NB I fully appreciate its not going to be the exact same experiance between OS and iPadOS but i’d hoped for better then I’m getting.

Bedfordblue

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2023
So here’s a the screen when used with a MacBook Pro, these apps are all more than adequately sized to use with the full menu for each app available (ie full Excel ribbon, calendar menus etc)
55B66EEE-729E-444B-B264-C559BB8E8B37.jpeg

Here’s the iPad with the with the apps made to the smallest size before they resize content and hide some of the app menus (ie to have the full Excel ribbon, calendar menus etc)
Eg if I make the iPad calendar window any smaller the left hand menu would go, same with the safari window.
75B540BA-F69C-4A29-8469-BA9B16A81498.jpeg

There are 4 apps open here just the notes one is obscured because of the size of the others.

Just looking at the size of the dock icons gives an good idea of the issue.

For comparison, to have visibility of all four app at once on the iPad, this is about as good as it gets. NB the notes and calendars are as small as they can go.
AA8DEDC5-E3BD-445A-9C00-5286908287C3.jpeg

In principle, I like the external monitor support but for my work flow / as a replacement for a work laptop or MacBook this just doesn’t do it for me.
Might help if I could get Citrix to work properly on it but that’s another story……

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
In principle, I like the external monitor support but for my work flow / as a replacement for a work laptop or MacBook this just doesn’t do it for me.
Might help if I could get Citrix to work properly on it but that’s another story……
You have to be mindful that this is the iPad first go-around with external display support… I mention this in one thread, macOS has an assortment of resolution settings for an external display while the iPad is limited to 3 at the max.

And the 3rd option (”more space”) is only catered to a select few monitors. I’m glad Apple has introduced Stage Manager, but now that I received a MBP… I prefer plugging it to an external display versus the iPad (I still use Stage Manager on the iPad itself).

Ultracyclist

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2014
Zwijndrecht, Netherlands
So here’s a the screen when used with a MacBook Pro, these apps are all more than adequately sized to use with the full menu for each app available (ie full Excel ribbon, calendar menus etc)
View attachment 2137152
Here’s the iPad with the with the apps made to the smallest size before they resize content and hide some of the app menus (ie to have the full Excel ribbon, calendar menus etc)
Eg if I make the iPad calendar window any smaller the left hand menu would go, same with the safari window. View attachment 2137156
There are 4 apps open here just the notes one is obscured because of the size of the others.

Just looking at the size of the dock icons gives an good idea of the issue.

For comparison, to have visibility of all four app at once on the iPad, this is about as good as it gets. NB the notes and calendars are as small as they can go.
View attachment 2137164

I see what you mean.

For me personally, I don’t mind the difference between my MBP and my iPP.
Actualy I like the iPP more than my MBP nowadays.

I don't see a solution to your "problem" maybe apple will come with one in future updates.

Last edited:

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
F890846F-BB60-4CCB-BDE6-AA225386774D.jpeg

Here’s my current desk setup. It’ll probably change some more, I’d like to do something different with the speakers. Been wanting to upgrade to the Studio Display and replace them with it’s internal speakers.

iPad mount is made by Zelal. Using a dual monitor stand with it. Modified one of the drawers in my IKEA Micke desk to be a keyboard tray.

Attachments

• F890846F-BB60-4CCB-BDE6-AA225386774D.jpeg
    F890846F-BB60-4CCB-BDE6-AA225386774D.jpeg
    408.4 KB · Views: 92

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

Here’s my current desk setup. It’ll probably change some more, I’d like to do something different with the speakers. Been wanting to upgrade to the Studio Display and replace them with it’s internal speakers.
Dope setup! Do you plug in any other device to the monitor? Or is this a iPad only setup?

As much as I wanna Studio Display… that price tag pushes me away, Samsung is coming out with its own 5k version because both LG & Apple has a strangle hold at the moment. Hopefully, Samsung be the one to break it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: xxFoxtail

Ultracyclist

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2014
Zwijndrecht, Netherlands
View attachment 2137677

iPad mount is made by Zelal. Using a dual monitor stand with it. Modified one of the drawers in my IKEA Micke desk to be a keyboard tray.
I love your setup!
Looks very nice and minimalistic.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Dope setup! Do you plug in any other device to the monitor? Or is this a iPad only setup?

As much as I wanna Studio Display… that price tag pushes me away, Samsung is coming out with its own 5k version because both LG & Apple has a strangle hold at the moment. Hopefully, Samsung be the one to break it up.
I do have my Nintendo Switch hooked up as well. It’s mounted underneath the desk. This is my main drawback getting the Studio Display, the other being the cost. Though the benefits would be I can control the display brightness and sound right from the iPad, I believe.

Reactions: Ludatyk

punneo

macrumors demi-god
Sep 14, 2016
Oklahoma City, OK
IMG_0507 2.JPG

- M2 iPad Pro 512 model w/ Lululook Magnetic Stand
- Samsung M7 Series 43" Smart Tizen 4K UHD Monitor
- Insta360 Link
- Magic Mouse 2 & AirPods Pro
- Magic Keyboard with Touch ID
- Yamaha YVC-330 Conference Phone
- Peak Design Wireless Charger
- AudioEngine 5+ Speakers
- Satechi 165W USB C 4-Port PD Gan Charger
- Samsung Shield 1TB SSD
- Eero Pro 6E

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
- M2 iPad Pro 512 model w/ Lululook Magnetic Stand
- Samsung M7 Series 43" Smart Tizen 4K UHD Monitor
- Insta360 Link
- Magic Mouse 2 & AirPods Pro
- Magic Keyboard with Touch ID
- Yamaha YVC-330 Conference Phone
- Peak Design Wireless Charger
- AudioEngine 5+ Speakers
- Satechi 165W USB C 4-Port PD Gan Charger
- Samsung Shield 1TB SSD
- Eero Pro 6E
Sweet setup! I have the exact SAME monitor! I admit, the monitor is huge... it's not for everyone and I had second thoughts about getting it, but I got it on a huge discount.

My only complaint... I'm not a fan of Smart Tizen! I prefer Android TV interface better.

Reactions: punneo

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
A little bit of an update to my setup -

This was built around being an iPad-only setup. I do have a M1 Mac mini mounted to the desk, rarely used and will probably go into the other room so I can hardwire it to the router for remote access.

My iPad Pro is still my main machine at the desk. I use a Zelal iPad mount. Pebble V3 speakers are mounted to the monitor. And one of those iPhone MagSafe mounts on the other side of my monitor.
IMG_0009.jpeg

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I no longer use my iPad to hook it up via the large monitor at the desk… MBP has took that replace. However, when away from my desk… i use my portable monitor and plug that to the iPad.

20230526_075313.jpg

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
As much as I wanna Studio Display… that price tag pushes me away
And for the ridiculous price you only get one input! An additional HDMI in would make it way more versatile.

Btw, "wanna" is short for "want to", and "I want to Studio Display" does not correctly express what you are trying to say. You need to write "I want a Studio Display" instead.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Btw, "wanna" is short for "want to", and "I want to Studio Display" does not correctly express what you are trying to say. You need to write "I want a Studio Display" instead.
Lol, I know that. And obviously you knew what I meant which means if I care to express "wanna" is irrelevant. So, what's the purpose of correcting me?

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Lol, I know that. And obviously you knew what I meant which means if I care to express "wanna" is irrelevant. So, what's the purpose of correcting me?
I knew what you meant, but not whether you knew you had made a mistake; I don't assume everybody is a native English speaker.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I knew what you meant, but not whether you knew you had made a mistake; I don't assume everybody is a native English speaker.
A mistake on a public forum is if I stated something falsely as in the iPad does not support external display on the Apple Studio Display... then by all means, it's important to inform the individual of that mistake. But pointing out a situation where a user expressed a word when clearly its understood by the public, that's um.. pointless (imo= in my opinion).

But thanks anyways!

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
A mistake on a public forum is if I stated something falsely as in the iPad does not support external display on the Apple Studio Display... then by all means, it's important to inform the individual of that mistake. But pointing out a situation where a user expressed a word when clearly its understood by the public, that's um.. pointless (imo= in my opinion).

But thanks anyways!
There are so many grammar, spelling and wording mistakes in today's forums (and articles, blog posts, you name it...) that it's becoming harder and harder to remember the correct way of writing things. This includes less innocent cases where the meaning is totally changed, from the wide-spread "I could care less" (do these people even understand the words they are using?) to people believing that "everybody is not something" means the same as "not everybody is something". Do they not teach anything in school anymore? Sure, what you wrote wasn't half as bad. Sorry, also for the rant, sometimes it gets to me. Have a nice day!

So do you agree that the Studio Display should have more inputs?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
There are so many grammar, spelling and wording mistakes in today's forums (and articles, blog posts, you name it...) that it's becoming harder and harder to remember the correct way of writing things. This includes less innocent cases where the meaning is totally changed, from the wide-spread "I could care less" (do these people even understand the words they are using?) to people believing that "everybody is not something" means the same as "not everybody is something". Do they not teach anything in school anymore? Sure, what you wrote wasn't half as bad. Sorry, also for the rant, sometimes it gets to me. Have a nice day!
Completely understand... and I was going to use this if we continued down this path, because from my perspective... if you corrected me. There are countless post on this forum that you could easily address.

So do you agree that the Studio Display should have more inputs?
Personally, I'm content with the amount of inputs on the Studio Display because I don't use that many ports to begin with. I know you mention additional HDMI inputs, but I prefer to use USB-C since it has the potential to charge the device as well.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Personally, I'm content with the amount of inputs on the Studio Display because I don't use that many ports to begin with. I know you mention additional HDMI inputs, but I prefer to use USB-C since it has the potential to charge the device as well.
I probably would have purchased a Studio Display if it had an HDMI input. I keep my spare Nintendo Switch dock connected in my office, and regularly use it while on my exercise bike.

I’d definitely want to keep USB-C with my iPad though.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I wan[t to have]a Studio Display.

Works just fine phonetically. It's a living language, speakers make up rules on the go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.