Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Star Trek Picard sort of did that too, ending on a cliffhanger. with that final Q scene. Will they finish it with a new series?
That wasn't so much of a cliffhanger as an "and the adventure continues..." hook which is fine by me - 'Picard' finished the main story and had more misty-eyed epilogues than Jackson's Lord of the Rings... Lots of people seem to be clamouring for a Captain Seven and/or Shaw (if he 'gets better') series...

What annoys me is when they don't finish the main story arc of a season despite knowing full well there's an evens chance it will be cancelled. So, yeah, Stargate Universe and Dark Matter are prime culprits.

Also, The Expanse - although book six wasn't the worst place to stop, they did all of the setup for book 7 including the short story 'Strange Dogs'. However, the next book is set 30 years later but with essentially the same characters, which is easy on paper but would mean the poor actors spending 3 hours in makeup for every shoot...

I think the endng of The Sopranos was deliberately done that way.

The Sopranos shamelessly nicked the ending of Blakes 7 :) (everybody dies - or do they?)

Reactions: Rafterman

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
That wasn't so much of a cliffhanger as an "and the adventure continues..." hook which is fine by me - 'Picard' finished the main story and had more misty-eyed epilogues than Jackson's Lord of the Rings... Lots of people seem to be clamouring for a Captain Seven and/or Shaw (if he 'gets better') series...

What annoys me is when they don't finish the main story arc of a season despite knowing full well there's an evens chance it will be cancelled. So, yeah, Stargate Universe and Dark Matter are prime culprits.

Also, The Expanse - although book six wasn't the worst place to stop, they did all of the setup for book 7 including the short story 'Strange Dogs'. However, the next book is set 30 years later but with essentially the same characters, which is easy on paper but would mean the poor actors spending 3 hours in makeup for every shoot...
That was how I felt about Picard also.

The Expanse ending was so strange. When they had a shorter amount of episodes for the final season why did they spend so much time on that Strange Dogs part when there's absolutely no guarantee they'll be able to explore that later?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

The Sopranos shamelessly nicked the ending of Blakes 7 :) (everybody dies - or do they?)
Spoilers! I’ve not finished Blake 7 yet! 😀

PKIDelirium

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
CBS canceled Scorpion after the season finale with a major unresolved storyline aired. Unfortunately it didn't get picked up for streaming like other canceled shows (like Manifest) have gotten for a final season.

PKIDelirium

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
Lots of people seem to be clamouring for a Captain Seven and/or Shaw (if he 'gets better') series...

I'm one of them. Picard was the first "currently in the prime timeline" show since Voyager ended, and the first such content in general since Nemesis. Instead of doing any more prequels, I'd really like to see Captain Seven, Number One Raffi, and Jack continuing the prime timeline with the Enterprise-G.

Speaking of... Was it actually confirmed in the last episode that the Enterprise-F was destroyed or renamed, or are there two active Enterprises now? I'd also like to know what fate befell the E that was, in Worf's opinion, "not his fault" and nothing else was said about it.

H_D

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
I always thought that the finale of Lost would have been better if they ended the series with the bright-lights-explosion after the timetravelling. The next season added no value at all except for that small Bonus scene in the warehouse which was excellent.

Rafterman

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
I'm one of them. Picard was the first "currently in the prime timeline" show since Voyager ended, and the first such content in general since Nemesis. Instead of doing any more prequels, I'd really like to see Captain Seven, Number One Raffi, and Jack continuing the prime timeline with the Enterprise-G.

Speaking of... Was it actually confirmed in the last episode that the Enterprise-F was destroyed or renamed, or are there two active Enterprises now? I'd also like to know what fate befell the E that was, in Worf's opinion, "not his fault" and nothing else was said about it.

I loved Shaw and also hope to see a "Legacy" series, with Seven, Raffi, Jack and Alandra. The problem with Shaw though was, he was great for that short sprint. But would he work out in the long run, as a captain who is kind of a dick (Seven's own words) and "frenemies" with his first officer? That doesn't fit the usual Star Trek dynamic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.