Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
MacRumors seems to have this only partially implemented. I can switch my account to it, but there is not an option for login or register to use Sign on with Apple.
I logged out then tried to log back in. I did not see a log in with Apple ID choice. Where is it?

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
trip.com (formerly ctrip.com)
Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 10.02.54.png

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Can anyone actually login using that here? I've seen where you can switch but I haven't seen the ability to login with it when logged out....
I just associated with Sign In with Apple. I got the special Apple email once I associated. I logged out and then logged back in with the new Apple email etc.

When logging back in, I did not get the “sign in with Apple” option, albeit I used the new credentials to do just that.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I just associated with Sign In with Apple. I got the special Apple email once I associated. I logged out and then logged back in with the new Apple email etc.

When logging back in, I did not get the “sign in with Apple” option, albeit I used the new credentials to do just that.

from Apple support page:
As long as you remain signed in on your device, you will automatically stay signed in to most apps.

If you need to sign in again, just tap the Sign in with Apple button again and complete a simple Face ID, Touch ID, or passcode confirmation. It works the same way on your other Apple devices that you're signed into with the same Apple ID

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
from Apple support page:
As long as you remain signed in on your device, you will automatically stay signed in to most apps.

If you need to sign in again, just tap the Sign in with Apple button again and complete a simple Face ID, Touch ID, or passcode confirmation. It works the same way on your other Apple devices that you're signed into with the same Apple ID

I know how it works. I use it with some other apps and sites. My point was there is no “sign in with Apple” logo option with MR nor does it use the same password as your AppleID, like other “sign in with Apple” sites do, and I dont get the chance to use Touch ID when logging in with Apple on this site.etc. It appears that MR is not fully set up for this feature yet.

Reactions: seezar

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
I know how it works. I use it with some other apps and sites. My point was there is no “sign in with Apple” logo option with MR nor does it use the same password as your AppleID, like other “sign in with Apple” sites do, and I dont get the chance to use Touch ID when logging in with Apple on this site.etc. It appears that MR is not fully set up for this feature yet.

Yep. It seems they've allowed the ability to connect an Apple ID to an existing account but they haven't enabled the mechanism to allow one to actually be able to login using 'sign in with Apple' or register a new account using it.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
It's a feature that has zero benefit to the developer, and which might actually harm their business model.

I can understand why developers would be hesitant to implement this feature unless they had absolutely no choice but to do so.

There’s no going around it. When designing with the iOS 13 SDK, Sign In With Apple is mandatory if there are other social signs ins. Apple will not approve new apps that aren’t designed with the iOS 13 SDK after April 2020.

There are benefits to honest developers. It makes implementing an account system with 2 Factor Authentication way easier and takes that burden off their shoulders. It also immediately gives their users Apple’s notorious high level security and privacy which is attractive for potential new users.

If a developer’s business model relies on exploiting users’ privacy, then good riddance. Those apps will be history.

There’s another benefit that will become more obvious as apps move to Sign In With Apple. It makes it very difficult for troll, spammer and other abusive accounts to exist on a platform. Each Apple ID is tied into an Apple device. Setting up a large number of fake accounts will be virtually impossible or at least highly impractical.

The headaches that’ll save developers will alone be worth migrating over.

The potential for this hasn’t even begun to be exploited. Apple can set up an API that verifies if the person who is using the app is the one who signed up for the account and if it’s in fact a real person as verified by Face ID. This could be secured to preserve privacy simply by the app asking for and Apple providing a Yes or No token.

Something like this would enable an app like Twitter to automatically verify an account, removing trolls off their platform. Someone who is banned, would truly be banned, unable to create dozens of fake accounts.

This will be transformational for the entire industry. Apple is playing the long game here.

Last edited:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
TaskRabbit has done the opposite. Rather than add Sign In With Apple, they’ve removed Facebook and Google sign ins, possibly to avoid having to add Apple’s anonymous sign in.

Some developers depend on exploiting their user’s internet activity to generate revenue through data mining. Those apps will never allow you to log in anonymously. The most notorious example is Facebook but we might see more of these smaller apps remove social signs ins to get around the mandatory Sign In With Apple.

Reactions: kylew1212

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
TaskRabbit has done the opposite. Rather than add Sign In With Apple, they’ve removed Facebook and Google sign ins, possibly to avoid having to add Apple’s anonymous sign in.

Some developers depend on exploiting their user’s internet activity to generate revenue through data mining. Those apps will never allow you to log in anonymously. The most notorious example is Facebook but we might see more of these smaller apps remove social signs ins to get around the mandatory Sign In With Apple.

I feel like It’s not as simple as it looks for all services. In some cases identifying a user is important to provide access to the service, especially subscription based models. Apple’s solution will create confusions because the same user can choose to just use a new “email” in various scenarios and the service provider will not have any means to confirm which email they originally registered with since Apple just creates random email addresses.

Reactions: NayoNL

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I feel like It’s not as simple as it looks for all services. In some cases identifying a user is important to provide access to the service, especially subscription based models. Apple’s solution will create confusions because the same user can choose to just use a new “email” in various scenarios and the service provider will not have any means to confirm which email they originally registered with since Apple just creates random email addresses.

Not really. Social sign ins aren’t a guarantee of a real person. In fact, it’s far easier to create multiple Facebook, Twitter or Google accounts than it is to create Apple IDs which are tied to a device. If anything, Sign In With Apple provides a far greater guarantee of a unique person than any of the other social sign ins.

Reactions: uniquexoxo

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Not really. Social sign ins aren’t a guarantee of a real person. In fact, it’s far easier to create multiple Facebook, Twitter or Google accounts than it is to create Apple IDs which are tied to a device. If anything, Sign In With Apple provides a far greater guarantee of a unique person than any of the other social sign ins.

Come on, how many people do you know, who has created a brand new social account just to use a service?

RebelTrust

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2017
I can't edit the wiki yet but Fantastical and the game Pascal's Wager both use Sign in with Apple.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I used it for the first time the other day and it worked great. On my iPhone I chose to sign up and hide my email address on the new app. When I logged in to the same app on my iPad I could get into my new account I made from my iPhone.

Reactions: gwhizkids
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.