Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bea220

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2020
SoCal
I picked up a blue pro max today and noticed a small scratch just under the power button, straight out of the box. Don’t think it can be polished out.
Now that REALLY sucks.

I got the Pacific Blue 12 Pro.... Damn Apple MagSafe clear case.. I took it off today and realized it scruffed my finish on the top of the phones edge. Super bummed out. Apple product and everything.

They wouldn't trade it in for me, would they? This sucks... such a new an expensive device.

My silver X frame was KILLED by the aftermarket cases I used so this time I made sure to use the legit Apple case. I should have know it would do this considering how hard it was to snap in.

Side note: I can see a light scratch below the port... OPEN BOTTOM CASE.... gah! Well, obv it wouldn't have mattered since my frame was scruffed by the case itself. Annoying.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Now that REALLY sucks.

Damn Apple MagSafe clear case.. I took it off today and realized it scruffed my finish on the top of the phones edge. Super bummed out. Apple product and everything.

They wouldn't trade it in for me, would they? This sucks... such a new an expensive device.

My silver X frame was KILLED by the aftermarket cases I used so this time I made sure to use the legit Apple case. I should have know it would do this considering how hard it was to snap in.
You can easily polish it. That's the advantage of non-coated stainless steel (unless you have a different color).

Bea220

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2020
SoCal
You can easily polish it. That's the advantage of non-coated stainless steel (unless you have a different color).
Thanks. Well I’m giving the X to my father and I’m sure he doesn’t mind the frame. Especially in a case.

I’m just super bummed that my PB 12 Pro is already flawed after less than a few weeks. *SIGH*

I didn’t envision the phone staying pristine but I didn’t think it would scruff up this quickly. 😔

Selmir

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
Sweden
I’ve got the silver one today, an 12 Pro Max (256 GB). But after reading xx-amount of threads here, plus on other places, I will return it. My Swedish carrier will get me an gold one instead. To be honest, I really hate gold and all that bling that gets with it. But this time I didn’t had any choice since the gold version is better protected than other colors. Apple Sweden weren’t notified or aware about this color-thing.

I also remember that this issue was similar to the iPhone 5/5S era. The difference was that the color black/white/gold were put on an aluminum frame. And where all three colors got some micro scratches, where black and silver were worst. I thought Apple had long ago learned by these mistakes. And I’m also aware that it’s not easy thing to paint on stainless steel, but I don’t understand why having stainless steel to begin with? Why not other metal or an combination? Or, just don’t paint it at all and leave it as it is? Just some thoughts..

Atm I’m using Samsung Galaxy S10+ black and it’s frame haven’t got any scratch at all, not even a micro scratch. Not a single one. Black color painted on it. Countless times I’ve put the chord so it touched the frame (that metal charging stick). But as I told my carrier, I won’t buy a phone that cost 13200 SEK (1529 USD) only so I can put Autosol on it so I can maybe (!) remove the scratches that even comes from Apple transparent MagSafe cover.

Last edited:

weei1204

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
IMG_0995.jpg

Brettka7 is it can work on this ? because i have been finding solution to solve this.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Mine already has some minor scuffs at on of the corners from home use. Polished stainless steel just isn't a good material for a phone. I suppose next year I'll go back to Graphite.

weei1204

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
In the photo it almost looks like pitting which would require sandpaper to fully remove. However, if it’s just scuffed from plugging in once then either my solution (Autosol & cotton pad) or Cape Cod cloths should work.
Thanks I will try it.. 😊

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I've used the Cape Cod polishing clothes on my Apple Watch silver stainless steel, removes the micro scratches nicely!

As for the phone, maybe I do a little overkill trying to protect any scratching...I have had this OLD screen protector rubber like film on the back of my older phones...perfect for me to prevent possible scratches, something getting inside the case doing damage. (Just works for me)

I did this also with my Graphite 12 Pro Max...whatever, it's piece of mind. But the sides are obviously different now. I just happened to stumble onto this tape at Staples a few days ago, not extremely strong adhesive, about $5 bucks.

It seems like the PERFECT width for the Pro Max (not sure about Pro, Mini?) I may give it a try, small part of the phone. Silver, Gold , even copper...that will look ok, not perfect obviously. If you have a case though, especially those minimal hard plastic ones...maybe this will prevent scuffs. If so...great! I know..some are thinking "Why!!?" But If I'm paying $$$$ for these things, I want it to look pristine as much as possible, as long as possible.

IMG_0901.jpeg
IMG_0902.jpeg

BlackHawk00

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2017
Buy a colored one and don’t have to polish it. Why would people buy a color so that they can polish it? Makes no sense.

Exactly... don’t waste your time and energy on silver Pro if you can't live with micro scratches.

I have changed three iPhones this year. Silver was super dope, but I didn't like the micro scratches that started to show up in just a couple of days, mostly near the lightning port.

So I ended up settling with the Gold 12 Pro Max, and I like the gold finish.

daveedjackson

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2009
London
It’s funny, I have literally had the phone a week, haven’t left the house with it. Out it down on the sofa, a book, a letter etc, and yet today, two tiny little nicks on the side. It’s been nowhere near anything. It really angers me that manufacturers make products to look good on display, but shockingly **** when used.

ijo_8

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
Thanks I tried this but seems to be leaving streaks on the metal based on the direction I’m polishing (whether it’s circular or straight line in one way) can’t seem to get the original finish where there are no visible lines/perfect mirror finish. Hope this makes sense. Is there a certain way I should be polishing?

Hi, I'm having the same issue and I use Autosol as well. Have you get any luck restoring it to glossy finish?

I found out that the swirl mark only appear at certain angle when exposed to the light, I assume maybe some people don't notice this after they're polishing due to lighting condition.

Anyone has a better luck on restoring the finish without a swirl mark at all?

Kennyasdf

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2020
Hi, I'm having the same issue and I use Autosol as well. Have you get any luck restoring it to glossy finish?

I found out that the swirl mark only appear at certain angle when exposed to the light, I assume maybe some people don't notice this after they're polishing due to lighting condition.

Anyone has a better luck on restoring the finish without a swirl mark at all?
Hey there no luck... I still have the swirl marks. Anyone know what I’m doing wrong? Or perhaps the swirls are unavoidable? Like you said it only shows in certain lighting. Wondering if people who polished theirs have the same results?

ijo_8

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
Hey there no luck... I still have the swirl marks. Anyone know what I’m doing wrong? Or perhaps the swirls are unavoidable? Like you said it only shows in certain lighting. Wondering if people who polished theirs have the same results?
Yeah, its annoying, since I also saw some people just do 'normal' polishing on youtube and their result looks good(or maybe just the lighting again).

It bums me as well seeing there's people out there that can polish old rusty metal to high gloss finish, but here I am getting a swirl mark while polishing.

Any jeweller/metallurgist in this forum that can tell us what to do to achieve high gloss finish? Any advice is appreciated.

3lMghraby

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2020
Hello
I have two small micro scratches beneath the lightning port.
Can I remove them without the need of repolishing the whole phone ?!
Could you explain in details how can this be done ?!
and all the tools needed
I am a dentist I have quite knowledge of following instructions perfectly
I just want a perfect result
@Brettka7

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.