Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I've used the Cape Cod polishing clothes on my Apple Watch silver stainless steel, removes the micro scratches nicely!

As for the phone, maybe I do a little overkill trying to protect any scratching...I have had this OLD screen protector rubber like film on the back of my older phones...perfect for me to prevent possible scratches, something getting inside the case doing damage. (Just works for me)

I did this also with my Graphite 12 Pro Max...whatever, it's piece of mind. But the sides are obviously different now. I just happened to stumble onto this tape at Staples a few days ago, not extremely strong adhesive, about $5 bucks.

It seems like the PERFECT width for the Pro Max (not sure about Pro, Mini?) I may give it a try, small part of the phone. Silver, Gold , even copper...that will look ok, not perfect obviously. If you have a case though, especially those minimal hard plastic ones...maybe this will prevent scuffs. If so...great! I know..some are thinking "Why!!?" But If I'm paying $$$$ for these things, I want it to look pristine as much as possible, as long as possible.

View attachment 1680358 View attachment 1680359
The next owner will really appreciate it.
Does anyone happen to know the width of the band on the pro Max in mm?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I have a Silver iPhone Pro Max coming. I have also ordered a XtremeSkins clear glossy to apply to the sides of the iPhone. Also, going to do the same with the Gold iPhone 12 Pro Max

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

Bstephens

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
I have a Silver iPhone Pro Max coming. I have also ordered a XtremeSkins clear glossy to apply to the sides of the iPhone. Also, going to do the same with the Gold iPhone 12 Pro Max
That's like putting a plastic on a brand new couch. I will never understand why folks do this. I just put a case on mine and forget about it.

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I learned this from owning the silver iPhone X. Downside it gets micro scratches easily. Upside you can simply polish them out.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
That's like putting a plastic on a brand new couch. I will never understand why folks do this. I just put a case on mine and forget about it.
I wanted to keep the phone as close to being naked as possible and enjoy the beauty of the phone. Pretty funny that you are criticizing me when you are putting "plastic on a brand new couch" by using a case.

Johnnymarks21

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2021
I always get the silver iPhones because I like how well they wear over time. I was really disappointed to read the silver 12 Pro may have the PVD finish that the other models had because that means there is potential for peeling/chipping and scratches cannot be removed from the frame.

First thing I did when I got home was test it out! Used a white metal polish on a white cotton pad and gently rubbed the lower right corner of the phone. Stainless steel residue did in fact transfer onto the cotton pad, which means no PVD finish!

Only a small amount of transfer is on the pad but rest assured, I only went as much as needed to confirm because the phone is less than 12 hours old at this time so it doesn’t need a polish yet.

View attachment 972797
View attachment 972798

EDIT:

I’ve now had the honor of double confirming this.

Today I was trimming my beard in the shower. Suddenly the water turns off and I’m covered in hair. I wasn’t about to get hair everywhere so I decided to wait for my complex’s water to come back on while browsing the web. Suddenly the water comes spitting out but it’s BROWN from who knows what, so my reaction was to jerk backwards. Dinged the upper right corner of my phone and get a little bummed out despite how minor it was.

Eventually I decided to sand and polish the corner already knowing it’s raw steel. Came out beautifully!

Small ding near the screen:

View attachment 974748

Sanded with 2,000 grit:

View attachment 974749

Perfect again!

View attachment 974750
Was that ding deep like could you of felt it with your nail I have a iPhone 12 Pro silver and dropped it without a case and it nicked the stainless steel like little baby chips that I can feel when I run my nail across them and was wondering if it was possible that lightly sanding and polishing will remove or at least make them appear less noticeable

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
The next owner will really appreciate it.
Does anyone happen to know the width of the band on the pro Max in mm?
You’re welcome. 😁

3DBB017F-7F1B-45DA-B3FB-346A34C19B52.jpeg

Jessicat123

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2023
I’ve had my iPhone 14 pro max (silver) for literally one single month, and it slid out of my car and onto the concrete yesterday. Despite a £70 case, the fall managed to chip the silver (stainless steel?) edging and I am so so SO upset.
Going to order some 2000 grit sanding paper and cape cod polishing cloths, but can you advise me how exactly to go about getting rid of the tiny chips?
@Brettka7 your before and after photos of the corner of your phone are amazing, I’m just worried I’m going to make mine worse rather than better, having never sanded or buffed anything before …

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
you bring up a good point the max weight so much it is more likely to fall, then the plus for example. I have had the same issue!! SO frustrating!!

3lMghraby

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2020
I’ve had my iPhone 14 pro max (silver) for literally one single month, and it slid out of my car and onto the concrete yesterday. Despite a £70 case, the fall managed to chip the silver (stainless steel?) edging and I am so so SO upset.
Going to order some 2000 grit sanding paper and cape cod polishing cloths, but can you advise me how exactly to go about getting rid of the tiny chips?
@Brettka7 your before and after photos of the corner of your phone are amazing, I’m just worried I’m going to make mine worse rather than better, having never sanded or buffed anything before …
Hey Jessica sorry for your frustration
I had a similar issue before I tried to fix it but sadly making it worse
I don't recommend you to do it at all
Either live with it by buying a newer better case or skin it
or if you can't just buy another phone
but don't try to fix it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.