Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jayjew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2015
Minneapolis
This isn't a ranting thread, more so a "Who else has a scratch" on the rim (s) of their phone? It looks like my keys bumped the exposed bottom with my apple leather case. Ive thought of polishing it but that could hurt the screen. I've also thought about just letting it go.

Does anybody else have an scrathes and if so, do you have photos?

I'll post some when not at my desk.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Just let it go, it’s only a phone.

My SG X band is already scratched, and the bottom portion of the rear glass is already showing scratches from resting on surfaces.

I’m caseless, worry less and enjoy your amazing phone.

I said I was going to go caseless and backed out a mere 3 hours later lol Got a clear skin yesterday and it’s allowed me to take the case off and still avoid scratches.

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
Since it's made of steel and not adamantium, I'd say everybody.
Except those who haven't rubbed it against materials as hard as you have. What's the point of asking? are you suspecting that the stainless steel you have is less hard than others?

Reactions: Ntombi

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
This isn't a ranting thread, more so a "Who else has a scratch" on the rim (s) of their phone? It looks like my keys bumped the exposed bottom with my apple leather case. Ive thought of polishing it but that could hurt the screen. I've also thought about just letting it go.

Do you have another case?

Jayjew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2015
Minneapolis
Do you have another case?
Yes, the apple leather case.

Haha you guys, I don't intentionally put them in the same pocket. When I'm in a rush it just happens sometimes. I'm going to go slap a screen protector on because that's all fine right now. Maybe pick up a full protection case like a clear spigen or something haha.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Just a reminder that the glass back can also scratch, so be careful to set your 8’s and X’s on surfaces free from grit.

Grit inside the case can scratch the glass back too, so be sure to brush it out before applying.

I was happy when my 4S was replaced under Apple care because the back had been scratched even though I’m extremely careful with my gear.

Reactions: Moi Ici

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2016

I knew you were going to say it was that spot. It’s stainless steel, so it’s regular for that to be scratched. A wool sweater will scratch it.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015

Haha you guys, I don't intentionally put them in the same pocket. When I'm in a rush it just happens sometimes. I'm going to go slap a screen protector on because that's all fine right now. Maybe pick up a full protection case like a clear spigen or something haha.
Screen protector? smart move.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
So many threads on the same topic

My advice to op from someone who's used both colors of the device. Both are scratch prone!

Get a screen protector (glass)
And a case

Problem solved and now enjoy your phone!

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I have no idea.

You know why? Because I don’t inspect my phone. I use it, I enjoy it, I look at it, but I don’t check it carefully for scratches.

I don’t use cases or skins or screen protectors, and somehow, my phones always end up looking just fine after a year. Funny how that works. I don’t baby it, but I don’t abuse it either. It goes alone in my right front pocket or my left bra cup, but I regularly put it down on hard surfaces, like tile countertops. At the end of the year, there are often micros scratches, but nothing apparent to the naked eye without looking at just the right angle in just the right light.

I don’t think I have any scratches yet, but if I do, they’re tiny, and I don’t care.

Reactions: Bako-MacAddict

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008

Do you put a case/cover on your car?

I’ve never really understood the fascination with covering your Mobile in more glass and plastic. It ruins the aesthetics and the usability.

I often wonder if people put this much thought, time and dedication into other aspects of life, where we all might be and how much better life could be.

Crazy

TeeWrecks

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2015
Bronx, NY
I have scratches and it’s literally only in my pocket. No big deal tho it’ll be in a case on Monday and for the most part I had to turn the phone just to look for those scratches doesn’t bother me much

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011

Everyone who uses their phone will get scratches on the stainless steel. That’s just the way it is.

I have a bunch on my Apple Watch and I don’t even know where they came from.

Unless you completely cover your phone, of course. But why hide such beauty?
[doublepost=1510470800][/doublepost]
Do you put a case/cover on your car?

I’ve never really understood the fascination with covering your Mobile in more glass and plastic. It ruins the aesthetics and the usability.

I often wonder if people put this much thought, time and dedication into other aspects of life, where we all might be and how much better life could be.

Crazy
Exactly.

Everyone is always like, “But I need to protect my phone!”

Why?

So the next person to own it can enjoy its aesthetics and beauty? While you’re stuck missing out because you added a bulky case and ugly screen protector?

Phones are designed to be used out if the box. Use them! Don’t worry about the next guy. You paid for it - enjoy it. The price difference between “used but pristine” and “normal wear and tear” is almost nothing. It’s not worth worrying about.

To me the only exceptions are rugged work environments where your phone is prone to abuse. Perhaps construction, machine shops, firefighters, etc... stuff like that.

Reactions: ex0dus1985

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think when everybody receives a new phone, they want to be as careful and cautious with it as possible. But the longer they own it, they stop caring about every little scratch or imperfection on the device. It's just a constant burden to worry about every little scratch that a phone will accrue, given how much we use it.

Reactions: MisterMillz

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
I thought I saw a scratch on mine but after carefully wiping it with chamois cloth it came off. Maybe it was some kind of residue....or snot from the packer in foxconn

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
It's stainless steel, so if they're not deep you can probably polish them out with those steel polish cloths.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.