Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I would like to play, but I am worried of frying my graphics card in my 2011 3.4GHz iMac, following the story here on MacRumors about a week ago. Apparently the graphic card can undergo stress through heating up extensively and fail. My model is one of the iMacs prone to this happening, and I don't want to risk it. Everything has been good on this machine and no problems, but I do not play games on it, or put the graphics card under pressure.

isoceles

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
NYC
I installed it on bootcamp on my late 2008 unibody and played for a few weeks until i ran out of hd space for the update. The only reason I'm a little excited is because since then I got a new mbp and want to see how it runs/looks.

The maps are definitely too small and it does get repetitive. I was excited to see how this would be online with other players but no one seems to really participate. I'm sure I'll be bored of it in a month.

Last edited:

hfletcher

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
UK
Sim City 4 is still the best version in my opinion...

Also skeptical about using Origin, I wish it were available on Steam.

S

syd430

EA has repeatedly emphasized that the Mac version of SimCity is not a "port" of the PC game, but a fully native version designed specifically for the Mac using OpenGL.

Does this mean my 13" rMBP will not go to 3000 degrees when I play this like every other game?

Last edited by a moderator:

csalm87

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Would love to play, I pre-ordered months ago. Unfortunately, Origin is unstable on the Mavericks beta... just my luck.

Keep trying. It will eventually open. EVENTUALLY. After more than 3 hours uninstalling and reinstalling origin on the Mavericks beta, it finally opened. I'm not closing it anytime soon. lol

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
OK, so it's just this version where there has been a recent wait. Thanks.

There have been "waits" in the past with the original Sims and SimCity 4, when Aspyr ported them. They were much longer then iirc. Six months for a native port is pretty good., though it may be of dubious quality.

I would like to play, but I am worried of frying my graphics card in my 2011 3.4GHz iMac, following the story here on MacRumors about a week ago. Apparently the graphic card can undergo stress through heating up extensively and fail. My model is one of the iMacs prone to this happening, and I don't want to risk it. Everything has been good on this machine and no problems, but I do not play games on it, or put the graphics card under pressure.

I wouldn't worry about it. There's a very small chance of it happening, and even if it does, that's why Apple has their replacement program. Also, this game isn't Crysis 3, it's not terribly intensive.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Will Wright would be so disappointed that his amazing Sim City franchise has been totally destroyed by EA. Well in EA's defence, anything given to EA will be destroyed. Everyone knows this, so you can't say you didn't know it would happen.

So should we blame EA for destroying Sim City or Maxis allowing EA to destroy Sim City in the first place?

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I'd get this if they'd just offered it through the Mac app store.. Or Steam if nothing else. Not interested having to sign up to yet another store.

Looks nice though.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
If you haven't bought it yet - don't bother. I've been running it on bootcamp, its got very little replayability value once you've filled up your village sized plot of land (which literally takes 30 minutes of gameplay).

Terrible game and it only exists to line EA's pockets with DLC (Yes, there is a ton of paid DLC that pesters you).

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Is this the first time any of the SimCity games have been available for the Mac? I remember playing this in 2000 on a PC.

Seems a little late :rolleyes:

Maxis has been making SimCity games (actually all its games) for the Mac since the early 1990s. You must be no older than 18 or 19 years old if you don't remember that far back.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Found it now, not sure if I should part with £45 for it though.

You can get a code on amazon or ebay for between £22- 26 quite easily. Probably less if you shop around. Doesn't matter that its the pc version, you just put the game code into origin and it will all work on osx (assuming the code is legit!)

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
You can get a code on amazon or ebay for between £22- 26 quite easily. Probably less if you shop around. Doesn't matter that its the pc version, you just put the game code into origin and it will all work on osx (assuming the code is legit!)

Buy it through the Origin India store and its £17 - I bought it on there back in Feb, entered a fake address and then changed it once the order was complete - works fine and is in english.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Maxis has been making SimCity games (actually all its games) for the Mac since the early 1990s. You must be no older than 18 or 19 years old if you don't remember that far back.

Maybe he just didn't have a Mac back then... They used to be a lot more expensive than other brands way back.

I only got into the Mac just after Panther came out so I wouldn't know much about software for the Classic OS'es either :) I'm sure many people would have joined the platform since then, it's grown so much in popularity.

Baumi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
Will Wright would be so disappointed that his amazing Sim City franchise has been totally destroyed by EA.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea: AFAIK Will Wright's alive and well (just left Maxis/EA in 2009), so he probably does know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.