Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
Why was this front-page news and BioShock Infinite only rated the Mac blog? I'd sooner give my money to Aspyr and 2K over EA any day.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Before anyone gets the wrong idea: AFAIK Will Wright's alive and well (just left Maxis/EA in 2009), so he probably does know.

There's a video of him discussing the game with the designers. He seems to like it a lot, but EA probably paid him well for that. Or he hadn't played the game for very long. The first hours are pretty awesome before you realize how broken it is.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
larger maps and no online required seems to be the consensus from it being a great game rather than what it is now.

The graphics looked so good too, seems like a waste.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Before anyone gets the wrong idea: AFAIK Will Wright's alive and well (just left Maxis/EA in 2009), so he probably does know.

If I recall... Will Wright left Maxis/EA shortly before the release of The Sims 3. And he was never a producer of TS3. At best, he might have been a consultant for the game but that's probably it.

The Sims 2 was the last Sim game that Will Wright designed and was directly involved with.

And don't get me started on Sid Meier! :D

MacGeek1987

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
New Hampshire, USA
Keep trying. It will eventually open. EVENTUALLY. After more than 3 hours uninstalling and reinstalling origin on the Mavericks beta, it finally opened. I'm not closing it anytime soon. lol

That's what I've been doing too. I got it open last night to preload, not having as much luck today.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I love sim city but can't buy this after all the issues they had, the always on aspect and the fact I don't want to support EA as much as possible.

gate5blues

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
Don't support EA games.

another crappy EA release

I don't know about the quality of the release but EA doesn't have a good track record of maintaining anything after the release... I'm surprised they're still releasing games where you don't have to spend $100 worth of add ons just to make it playable. (that seems to be their model now days)

I've waisted too much money on them... I boycott their games now. It's better to spend your money on a game company that cares about their gamers.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If I recall... Will Wright left Maxis/EA shortly before the release of The Sims 3. And he was never a producer of TS3. At best, he might have been a consultant for the game but that's probably it.

The Sims 2 was the last Sim game that Will Wright designed and was directly involved with.

And don't get me started on Sid Meier! :D

Spore was actually Wright's last game.

MacGeek1987

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
New Hampshire, USA
Why not keep a 10.8 boot sector and boot into it when you want to play Origin?

I don't have a lot internal hard drive space, or else I would have. I have most of my media files stored externally, because the 750 GB I have in my MBP isn't enough. I'm getting a 27" iMac with a 3 TB Fusion Drive when they are refreshed. Hopefully won't have this problem next year :D

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
I've been waiting for this, even bought the PC version on steam figuring I would get the Mac version on Steam when released. And now of course, Not released on Steam.

So much for pre-ordering crap.

here is why we need downvote buttons. There is no SC5 on steam for anyone ever.

----------

Regardless of what we all think of EA and this game, we have to give them kudos for making this a 100% Mac native version and enabling PC cross-play.

No we don't. It's been SOP for Maxis since basically forever.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
Just out of curiosity: I noticed this game gets a nice big front page spot, but other games get relegated to the "Other MacRumors Stories" panel off on the right. Is there some factor that determines which games get mentioned where? Thanks.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
There are a dozen reasons I shouldn't buy this (I agreed with most everything in the negative reviews written when the PC version launched a few months back).

But Lord help me, I think I probably will anyway. :(

I just can't stay away, no matter what they try.

Just out of curiosity: I noticed this game gets a nice big front page spot, but other games get relegated to the "Other MacRumors Stories" panel off on the right. Is there some factor that determines which games get mentioned where? Thanks.

Sim City is a hugely popular franchise going back almost 25 years. If Nintendo ever puts Mario on iOS I promise you it'll be front page news too.

A popular iPhone game that came out 2 or 3 years ago just doesn't compare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.