Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I fired it up briefly last night on the cMBP and this morning on the iMac and was able to play both times. I only stayed in the game for about 10 minutes each time.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Runs smoothly on low in my 2013 Air, but everything at medium gives some lag ingame. For some odd reason as well, Origin doesn't work if I've got my Kaspersky Security switched on. I have to turn protection off otherwise Origin won't connect to the servers, even with it in the exclusions list.

Edit: I've got the i7 and 8GB of Ram by the way.

Last edited:

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Being worked on, won't be a quick fix but will hopefully be supported sooner rather than later.

Not a quick fix? I hope they realize Mavericks will probably be released in the next 2 to 4 weeks. But I guess nobody could have seen that coming... :)

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Wow...on low settings, it looks about the same as SC4. I should've figured that the official screenshots were taken at Super Ultra High(tm) settings.

Every single game ever made in the history of gaming has had screenshots taken at the highest settings on very powerful PCs. If your shocked by this then im lost for words.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I've been playing and have had no issues with lag or server problems or anything. 2012 Macbook Air.

WMD

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Florida, USA
Every single game ever made in the history of gaming has had screenshots taken at the highest settings on very powerful PCs. If your shocked by this then im lost for words.
I'm not shocked/surprised that they were taken at the highest settings. I'm surprised that the lowest settings make it look like a 10-year-old game.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

No kidding. Even console-exclusive games have their screen shots taken at much higher than possible settings by using very powerful PCs.

Wow...on low settings, it looks about the same as SC4.

Heck, I think it's worse than SC4 actually. SC4 looks better than that!

Also to add to the misery why does the UK version cost so much more than the US? It's like an extra £20 or something!

Extra cost of doing business. Free healthcare isn't really free, the cost is spread around. There's also the dole, good public transportation, increased regulation, etc.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

After being delayed for six months, EA has finally released the Mac version of the new SimCity. The game was originally set to come out in February of this year, but EA decided to delay it to "ensure a great experience" for players.

EA has repeatedly emphasized that the Mac version of SimCity is not a "port" of the PC game, but a fully native version designed specifically for the Mac using OpenGL. However, the game will include full cross-platform support to facilitate 'region play' where the cities of multiple players are connected to share utilities and citizenry, with PC and Mac Mayors able to play in the same regions.

SimCity's PC launch was more than a little rocky, largely because the game can only be played online. EA requires that the game be connected to its servers at all times.

At launch, SimCity's servers were overwhelmed with traffic and the gameplay experience was extremely poor. Today, EA seems to have ironed out most of the bugs and users are playing the game as intended.

EA on system requirements, viewable in full at the bottom of the purchase page:
SimCity is available through EA's Origin store at $40 for the standard game, or $60 for a Deluxe Edition that includes additional content. Purchases cover both platforms, so gamers who already bought SimCity on the PC will get the Mac version for free.

Article Link: SimCity Finally Launches on the Mac With Native Version and Cross-Platform Servers

The cost of the lease for this game plus the cost of broadband to play it is exceedingly gross.

Puns intended.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Boot sector

I think you think that term means something other than what it actually means.

Yes I meant partition. As to the other person quoting my response, the partition doesn't have to be that big. It only needs to hold the OS, game plus a little more. For example, my partition for 10.4 on this old Macbook is 250 GB but I have 225 GB remaining. I should have made the partition much smaller but I'm not worried as I have plenty of space on the other (10.6.8) partition (the most current OS this Macbook will run) as I have 101 GB of 250 GB remaining.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
Idecide to gamble and I bought the game. It runs well on MacBook Air on HD3000 with minor delay when I click HUD buttons, and of course on the lowest settings.
I had no issues either with the installation or with the server.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I played some more this morning, maybe 30 minutes or so. One thing I noticed in the Mac version that was different from the Windows version was the sensitivity of moving around and clicking.

When I move the cursor to the edge of the screen to pan over, it seems to jump awfully far across the city unless I'm really careful and try not to leave it at the edge too long.

Additionally, when bulldozing abandoned buildings, I either have to click between 1-3 times or do a long click before the building will be demolished.

It's annoying and I don't recall it being this sensitive on the Windows version I was playing.

ifraaank

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Odense C, Denmark
Mine doesn't launch properly. Screen goes completely black, intro music playing in background, then finally sim city pops up in a small window, within a "full screen" app space, the rest of the screen being grey, and nothing responds to any clicks.

Sigh.

I guess you're using Mavericks?

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I played some more this morning, maybe 30 minutes or so. One thing I noticed in the Mac version that was different from the Windows version was the sensitivity of moving around and clicking.

When I move the cursor to the edge of the screen to pan over, it seems to jump awfully far across the city unless I'm really careful and try not to leave it at the edge too long.

Additionally, when bulldozing abandoned buildings, I either have to click between 1-3 times or do a long click before the building will be demolished.

It's annoying and I don't recall it being this sensitive on the Windows version I was playing.

You can change the sensitivity of the edge scrolling in settings. Ive noticed the having to click 2 or 3 times issue on some stuff too tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.