Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewW

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
SimCity is available through EA's Origin store at $40 for the standard game, or $60 for a Deluxe Edition that includes additional content.

Or $80/$100 if you live in Australia :(

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I have sim city 4 deluxe for pc.
How do I get the free mac version for previous owners?
Is my version upgradeable to what has just come out for the mac?

This is a separate game. You do not get it free for owning Sim City Deluxe 4. It is not upgradeable from SC4 either. You just have to buy it.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I think I know the answer to this, given that I can't find it written down anywhere on their site, but if I have multiple players in the household, doesn't that require multiple purchases?

There are a dozen reasons I shouldn't buy this (I agreed with most everything in the negative reviews written when the PC version launched a few months back).

But Lord help me, I think I probably will anyway. :(

I just can't stay away, no matter what they try.
I'm in the same boat. I'm telling myself that this is the exception that proves "I won't buy from EA" is a rule.

edifice98

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2013
Has anyone tried to play this on a 2009 Mac Mini? I realize it will probably lag but I'm wondering if the lag is acceptable or if it will make it unplayable.

My guess is that I should upgrade but I'm trying to avoid it at the moment.

PushingthePram

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2013
Origins

Leaving the whole simcity drm thing aside, the thing I didn't like about origins is that it slowed down my system startups by loading something into memory every time I turned on the machine regardless of whether I started origins. Out of curiosity try removing origins completely, including the launch daemons and confirm for yourselves.
Not sure what it needs to be loading, but as its from EA I'm sure it's the antichrist. :)

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I really wanted this game to be great. Looks like ill stick to playing SC4 Deluxe via Bootcamp on my MBP. Still the best city simulator around.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
This actually works:

(there is dos equivalent switch in the mac origin game settings that adds the resolution
Code:
I got the game to run at 2560x1440 by adding this to the 'Game Properties" in the Origin client: -r:2560x1440 

Hope it helps 

maroonracoon (EA Forum user)
).

Black bars on the side were sooooo annoying.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Has anyone tried to play this on a 2009 Mac Mini? I realize it will probably lag but I'm wondering if the lag is acceptable or if it will make it unplayable.

My guess is that I should upgrade but I'm trying to avoid it at the moment.

I played it for months on a Gateway notebook with a Celeron CPU, whatever built-in Intel GPU it has and 4GB of RAM. You have to dial down the graphics settings, but it works. Unfortunately my 3-year-old Mac can't handle all the graphics I threw at it, so I have to turn it down. Still a good game and so glad to have it on Mac now. It loads infinitely faster.

Sep 21, 2011
Would love to play, I pre-ordered months ago. Unfortunately, Origin is unstable on the Mavericks beta... just my luck.
Being worked on, won't be a quick fix but will hopefully be supported sooner rather than later.

Aaaaand it doesn't support the native resolution of my 27" iMac.. 2560x1440
I have the same problem. 1920x1440 is the most I can go to.
So, this is not compatible to the current beta version of Mavericks?
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/0/9683389.page#29953938

I have a 27" inch iMac, i must use a crap resolution!?!?!?!

AHahhahahahah EA sucks.
Fix for this, click i on title on Origin and then game properties - enter the following and launch.

-r:2560x1440

yup. thanks, ea.
Uninstall, permanently delete from trash and reinstall.
Mine doesn't launch properly. Screen goes completely black, intro music playing in background, then finally sim city pops up in a small window, within a "full screen" app space, the rest of the screen being grey, and nothing responds to any clicks.

Sigh.
Known r display issue.

Amadeus71

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2013
Two things that bother me that have nothing to do with the actual game play:

- It's 35% more expensive in Europe (that is when using the discounted EU price)

- Can't buy it via the App Store (which I prefer)

Also, purchasing additional content? I let you get away with this in freemium games, but not with a game that costs over U$50 !

Aug 5, 2013
This actually works:

Black bars on the side were sooooo annoying.

You usually have to hack EA games to get the resolutions you need, you know... standard resolutions :rolleyes:

It's been a while but there used to be a graphics.dat or .txt (cant remember) where you had to change the resolutions and graphics settings just get Sims 3 to work on a 27" iMac. Same with Sims 2 and SimCity 4 I recall.

I LOVED Simcity but I'm a bit older now. I was tempted to indulge myself on this one for old times sake but after the PC debacle, then it getting delayed I was put off. When it launched the other day I had a sniff and the first thing I saw was my 27" iMac resolution isnt supported so I'm definitely not purchasing it. I can see there seems to be an easy 'fix' but why if its THAT easy does EA not include it in the code? Also to add to the misery why does the UK version cost so much more than the US? It's like an extra £20 or something!

No Sir, I don't like it.
h8CF43446

Last edited:

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
IS it playable offline ? no ? then no sale EA.

This should have been called Sim-District rather than Sim-City, from what a friend has told me about his experience so far Sim city 4 is vastly superior as a full city sim

Amenic

macrumors member
May 16, 2010
Italy
Regarding the price.
Bought from about 47$ (35 euros) the limited version from a very popular cd-key online webstore.....

Instant cd key delivery, no problem with the payment or with origin... :D:D

it9997

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
Regarding the price.
Bought from about 47$ (35 euros) the limited version from a very popular cd-key online webstore.....

Instant cd key delivery, no problem with the payment or with origin... :D:D

And the simple version just 24€

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am tempted, but I wished they released a trial version. Given all the criticisms, I'm not sure I want to plunk $$ just to find that I don't like it :(

coolgarriv

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2013
Ireland
SimCity is available through EA's Origin store at $40 for the standard game, or $60 for a Deluxe Edition
Or if you are in Europe €59.99 for the standard or €79.99 for the deluxe version.

What a rip-off, wont be buying this anytime soon. :mad:

it9997

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
Or if you are in Europe €59.99 for the standard or €79.99 for the deluxe version.

What a rip-off, wont be buying this anytime soon. :mad:

Read quote number #167 - #168. You CAN buy it cheaper (if the price is the only thing that bothers you).

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
so, has anyone used it yet. is the game running smoothly. i heard they were having server problems and because of that people were facing issues in playing the game

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.