Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaymd1970

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Cheshire,UK
Does anyone have the same problem?

Randomly when my iPhone 6 is on charge Siri activates saying I do not understand the question?
I have only really noticed it while I bed when my phone is charging. It could have been on charge for 10 mins or a few hours and only happens every now and again.
Worse is when I'm asleep and you here it,making me suddenly wake up!

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Siri can respond to voice commands while plugged in to charge, when you give the command "Hey Siri" then follow it up with a question or command to do something.

It's a cool feature, but like any voice recognition, it can be confused by ambient sounds in the room. I can have my iPhone charging in the media room at home and the kids and I are watching TV and Siri responds in the same manner as she did to you.

Is there any chance Siri is hearing any ambient room or house noise?

Regardless, you can deactivate that feature in Settings > General > Siri and toggle off Allow "Hey Siri".

That should fix it for you. :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Siri can respond to voice commands while plugged in to charge, when you give the command "Hey Siri" then follow it up with a question or command to do something.

It's a cool feature, but like any voice recognition, it can be confused by ambient sounds in the room. I can have my iPhone charging in the media room at home and the kids and I are watching TV and Siri responds in the same manner as she did to you.

Is there any chance Siri is hearing any ambient room or house noise?

Regardless, you can deactivate that feature in Settings > General > Siri and toggle off Allow "Hey Siri".

That should fix it for you. :)
Yup, disabling "Hey Siri" is basically the way to go here.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Maybe let you pick your "hey siri" passphrase.

And have better recognition so it doesn't respond to other phrases that are just similar sounding but are still not the necessary phrase.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I see no reason it can't work like Google Now. I had no issues on Android with it. Maybe something to do with the sole Home Button??

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I do, since 1990....

Okay, good.

Now imagine yourself needing to call the wife, and where you're driving it's pretty intense and you can't futz around with your iPhone.

Just say "Hey Siri....call my wife"

and she will.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I thought it would be a cool feature but both my girlfriend's iPhone and mine activated itself in a silent room (no TV, no sound around us). Also, saying "Hey Siri" only worked 3/5 times. Then again, this was at launch of iOS 8. I'm sure it's improved but it left a sour taste in my mouth.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I thought it would be a cool feature but both my girlfriend's iPhone and mine activated itself in a silent room (no TV, no sound around us). Also, saying "Hey Siri" only worked 3/5 times. Then again, this was at launch of iOS 8. I'm sure it's improved but it left a sour taste in my mouth.

I would suggest giving it another try.

Jaymd1970

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Cheshire,UK
Thanks got the suggestions but Siri sometimes starts even when the tv is off and I'm asleep the middle of the night.
So how is it operating?

H3boy

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
Charlie West
One morning I had Msnbc driving "hey siri" crazy by talking about Syria. Environment can definitely have an effect.

Cscottrun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Thanks got the suggestions but Siri sometimes starts even when the tv is off and I'm asleep the middle of the night.
So how is it operating?

Do you use an apple branded charging cable? I've had the same problem, as well as a failure of the fingerprint sensor on numerous occasions while charging with a third party cable.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I personally love this feature, though it doesn't always activate reliably (it's ok most of the time).

Funny story: my wife and I each charge our iPhones at the bedside. Every once in a while, Siri on one of our phones activates inadvertently (I'm assuming it hears something in our conversation that sounds like "hey Siri").

Last time this happened, as a joke, I said out loud "Hey Siri, erase all of Jenny's photos".

My wife responded, jokingly: "Hey Siri, tell Bob he's an a**hole"

So Siri drafts that iMessage to my dad, who has the same name as I (not really Bob), and asks her if she wants to send it. We both yell out "CANCEL!"

Thankfully Siri heard that command successfully. We got a good laugh out of that.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
So how is it operating?

You must be talking in your sleep. Any loud voice (and what's louder than sudden speech in a totally quiet room?) will cause Siri to engage when device is charging. Do you snore?

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
So one night I was watching an episode of Community and woke up to this:

Attachments

• IMG_0823.PNG
    IMG_0823.PNG
    514.2 KB · Views: 1,042

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
Yeah that happened to me a few times when I was watching TV and had my iPhone on the charger and it would think it heard "hey siri". I finally had to disable "hey siri".

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
The voice recognition leaves a bit to be desired and the false alerts really don't happen that often for me. Overall I like the feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.