Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshmacbosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
Is it just me or does it just not work without 3G or WiFi?
messagepart

joshmacbosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
I know it needs network but this really sucks. My needs for it are when I'm driving...I live and work in the middle of no where. No chance of 3G round here.

joshmacbosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
Every time I leave work, I call my girl friend. It was nice before the 4S to just use voice control to call her. Also I thought that finally now, when I get a text whilst driving I wont have to almost kill myself replying.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Is it just me or does it just not work without 3G or WiFi?

I asked pretty much the same question the other day.

A guy in Scotland told me that he uses Siri on a non 3G connection, he is on a GPRS, EDGE connection, so Siri does work when not on 3G, WIFI, but does require a network connection to access its server.

Red Bull

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Darlington, UK
Every time I leave work, I call my girl friend. It was nice before the 4S to just use voice control to call her. Also I thought that finally now, when I get a text whilst driving I wont have to almost kill myself replying.

Could just switch off Siri and go back to the voice control? You still have all the other benefits of the 4S even if that one in particular is no use to you yet. I presume you didn't just buy a 4S to text your girlfriend.

joshmacbosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009

A guy in Scotland told me that he uses Siri on a non 3G connection, he is on a GPRS, EDGE connection, so Siri does work when not on 3G, WIFI, but does require a network connection to access its server.

It would be nice if it does work and we're just all wrong right now.

Could just switch off Siri and go back to the voice control? You still have all the other benefits of the 4S even if that one in particular is no use to you yet. I presume you didn't just buy a 4S to text your girlfriend.

I guess I could do that. It's a shame though cause I was gonna get the 4S whatever it had but Siri was a huge plus for me.

----------

It works on edge

I don't even have that round me.

zoonyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
Northern England

same here - it definitely works on GPRS ( o ) or EDGE (E)

It's slow, but it definitely works for me...

Last edited:

joshmacbosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009

Maybe apples Siri servers are just rammed with people asking "how wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck would chuck wood" etc ;)

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
If you don't have EDGE, then you will be on GPRS (indication by a blue o on the screen next to your mobile providers name).

You can use Siri on GPRS, albeit will be slower than other methods. Siri does not use a lot of data from what I've read, so it still shouldn't be that slow on GPRS.

joshmacbosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
I'm started to be of the opinion that o2 must just SUCK round here. I'll try again on GPRS later and let you know how I got on

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
FALSE ALARM - it worked flawlessly over GPRS just now :p

When you say worked, was there a significant delay or is the amount of data being sent back and forth quite small?

I ask because I've use google translate on GPRS and I guess it send raw audio back and forth which is pretty slow and limited to short phrases.

Does Siri process the audio in the device and send tiny packets of processed data back and forth?

Is dictation usable on GPRS? Or is there significant delays?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

lynchum

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Or just wait till you're in a safe situation to reply to a text? And it's not you, you have to be concerned about killing - it's other people. You sound like you need your licence revoked. tw@

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
When you say worked, was there a significant delay or is the amount of data being sent back and forth quite small?

I ask because I've use google translate on GPRS and I guess it send raw audio back and forth which is pretty slow and limited to short phrases.

Does Siri process the audio in the device and send tiny packets of processed data back and forth?

Is dictation usable on GPRS? Or is there significant delays?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

I read on another forum about a member been concerned that using Siri could result in them going over their data allowance. So they were advised to reset their data usage on their 4S, then use Siri to see how much data was used. The member need not have been concerned has the data used was only in the double digit range, so not a large amount of data.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK

Unfortunately for me, I cannot get Siri to work on GPRS. It just keeps saying that its having trouble connecting to the network (or words to that affect).

phantasmagoria

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2006
UK
Unfortunately for me, I cannot get Siri to work on GPRS. It just keeps saying that its having trouble connecting to the network (or words to that affect).

Same here unfortunately. Works a treat on wifi, 3G and even edge, but when I can only get GPRS then it's unusable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.