Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Every time I leave work, I call my girl friend. It was nice before the 4S to just use voice control to call her. Also I thought that finally now, when I get a text whilst driving I wont have to almost kill myself replying.
Ah, I see. If you can call her, it should work as I can see you've found out already.
FALSE ALARM - it worked flawlessly over GPRS just now :p
Glad you got it working :D

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Same here unfortunately. Works a treat on wifi, 3G and even edge, but when I can only get GPRS then it's unusable.

There was mention on another forum that said doing the following can sometimes sort out issues with Siri saying 'I cannot connect to the network'.

Switch off Siri.
Go into Settings/General/Reset, and choose Reset Network Settings.

I tried doing this and I could get Siri to work on an EDGE connection (there is a certain place in my house where I lose 3G on my 4S and it switches to EDGE). Siri did work fine on this EDGE connection albeit been ever so slightly longer at coming back with its response after I had told Siri what I wanted. But I'm uncertain has to whether Siri worked on EDGE before the reset has pretty much all of my house allows me to use 3G.

I'll see if Siri works on GPRS (due to the reset) the next time I'm in a GPRS area and report back.

Last edited:

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Well try as I might, I could not get Siri to work on GPRS.

I noticed though on O2's live status checker for my postcode that:

'Sorry a phone mast close to you isn't working
This means you might experience problems making calls, using the internet, or sending/receiving emails in this area.'

So I don't know if this is the cause for me not been able to get Siri to work over GPRS. I can still make calls, text, check email etc, so it can't be causing that many problems the above maintenance.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Just got a Siri enabled phone. Definitely haven't got it to work with my GPRS connection yet, which is the best I get 99% of the time.

I just want to use voice control (like I used to) and dictate (works effectively on WiFi).

Any chance Siri could be blocked by the ISPs to save their bandwidth?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.