Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidInSydney

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
I’ve been using Siri pretty much since it was introduced. I particularly enjoyed being able to dictate messages or emails. It made a lot of mistakes in the beginning (it certainly helped to speak like Julie Andrews, if you could), but often it worked perfectly and seemed to save time and fiddling about with the tiny keyboard.

I thought at the beginning that it would just get better and better, so by now it should be perfect. But it’s worse! How is that even possible?

What often amazes me is that I will dictate something, it will perfectly transcribe it… and then… it changes to something else. Why?

One more question, does the Android version of Siri do a better job?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I’ve been using Siri pretty much since it was introduced. I particularly enjoyed being able to dictate messages or emails. It made a lot of mistakes in the beginning (it certainly helped to speak like Julie Andrews, if you could), but often it worked perfectly and seemed to save time and fiddling about with the tiny keyboard.

I thought at the beginning that it would just get better and better, so by now it should be perfect. But it’s worse! How is that even possible?

What often amazes me is that I will dictate something, it will perfectly transcribe it… and then… it changes to something else. Why?

One more question, does the Android version of Siri do a better job?

Reason I stopped using it for Messages. It's like a grammar/spell/interpretation check happens when you're done or pause and your message gets "fixed". ?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Reality is that there are discussion like this pretty much with most iOS versions, even with iOS 13 there are a few different ones:

Reactions: dk001

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Was Siri ever smart?
Google before it went through multiple name changes was always smarter than Siri even before Siri existed!

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
No problems with Siri. None. Messages/queries/timers/jokes!--all work great.

OK, one very minor problem. When I say "Hey Z" (the name of my cat) Siri says "I'm here." :)

Bluetoot-

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2020
I use Siri to set timers and send short messages. Also to remind me of things when my hands are full. That’s it. Having an assistant you can talk to is not all that useful when it can’t do half the stuff it should be able to.

I think that’s the issue with voice assistants. Companies had a very short window to not only introduce them but also get the public on board with understanding what they can do. They’ve been around for a while now, however, so who is going to bother taking time to learn if it has new features? That’s like learning a whole new operating system.

Microsoft finally got wise. Forget the talking to it stuff. How about AI that can do things proactively? Maybe Cortana can get there; who knows? But having something like Siri is little more than advanced Voice Control.

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
As long as Apple’s focus is on privacy, Siri will continue to be more limited than Alexa or GA.

The limitations I find with Siri aren’t related to privacy. It could be so much better and still be privacy centered.

For example, on CarPlay I can ask Siri, “when does Best Buy close?”. The response of Siri is to bring up all the nearest Best Buy locations so I can select one to navigate to. If I ask GA the same thing, I’ll actually get a voice response back giving me the store hours.

TechThule

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
Perhaps it has to do with the timbre of my voice, but Siri rarely understands me. I gave up trying to use it after it first came out. Every once in a while I gave it a try, but it was too much trouble to correct the gibberish.

Recently, I started giving it a try again, after buying EarPods Pro. Now Siri is much better at recognizing my voice. Still not well enough to dictate anything, but better. Now other flaws are glaring.

Last night I had a friend over, who wanted a gin and tonic. So I asked Siri "how much is a jigger?" The answer I got was 0.0102 gallons! I assume the answer was accurate, but somehow it wasn't as helpful as I was expecting.

I now think of Siri as comic relief.

I guess, with all the other things going on at Apple, the Siri career path doesn't attract the best and the brightest.

Reactions: DavidInSydney

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I keep saying this and keep getting shot down.

Apple needs to licence Alexa from Amazon and ditch Siri. Period.

Any two bit smart speaker builder in China can build a $40 speaker with Alexa in it and sell it at Walmart.

The only reason Apple won't do it is pride and "not made here" BS.

Reactions: konqerror

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I keep saying this and keep getting shot down.

Apple needs to licence Alexa from Amazon and ditch Siri. Period.

Any two bit smart speaker builder in China can build a $40 speaker with Alexa in it and sell it at Walmart.

The only reason Apple won't do it is pride and "not made here" BS.
Why would Apple pay to use that sort of a technology from someone else, short of perhaps fully buying it and having control over it? Especially when it relates to functionality that has privacy implications.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
In iOS 14, this happens on your device and in my experience so far it's been greatly enhanced.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Why would Apple pay to use that sort of a technology from someone else, short of perhaps fully buying it and having control over it? Especially when it relates to functionality that has privacy implications.

I'll point this out to you seems you missed it: privacy is gone. Anyone promising it to you if lying.

• Haha
Reactions: MandiMac

apple_unreal

Suspended
Jun 15, 2020
The sad thing is there is absolutely NO reason for Apple to not have the manpower for any of its products. I mean I realize they are a small startup with no capital to expend on making their products better, but they could do better.

Apple intentionally make the next revision worse to then offering you a fixed revision and you need to upgrade. That is how they maintain and justify having engineered and keep showing progress to investors.

• Haha
Reactions: MandiMac

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'll point this out to you seems you missed it: privacy is gone. Anyone promising it to you if lying.
Nevertheless, that would be way worse in the eyes of Apple or how they would want to be perceived, which means it wouldn't be something that they would do.

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
As long as Apple’s focus is on privacy, Siri will continue to be more limited than Alexa or GA.
I've got Echos, Echo Studios, and Dots all over the house and amongst my remote family for group conversations and music, including Bluetooth from my iPod Touch 7th gen 160GB iTunes file.
Who needs Siri?
Alexa is much more useful.
If a software effort isn't great for iPhones or Watches or TV+ forget it.
Apple doesn't care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.