Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
JonHimself said:
Hey, I think the problem with doing this is that RIAA would screw it up. Didn't they put restrictions on how much content could be transfered to the device?
Word has it that the restrictions have more to do with the XM + Napster marketing agreement. With iTMS revenue on the line, Apple would be facing the same conflict (and it's one of the reasons I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for a satellite iPod to appear). The restrictions in there will look really weird if Sirius and Apple don't end up in bed.

GottaHaveMac

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2005
Yes... Please... I Want Sirius & Apple as 1

I've been meaning to pick up a new video iPod & I've been wanting to get a Sirius membership as well. This would be the perfect marriage of the two products. Also, I have stock in both and this would definitely help Sirius' stock continue to climb!

My Mac profile: iMac G4 17" Superdrive w/iSight, 12" PowerBook G4, 3G 30GiG iPod, 2G Blk Nano, 1G Shuffle... my very 1st Mac: G3 PowerBook Wallstreet Edtion.

incubus2432

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2005
For recording Sirius for the iPod.......I use a RadioShark with my PB. I set the FM transmitter on the Sirius unit for an unused frequency and just set the RadioShark up to record that frequency at whatever time I want and presto.....no problem. After the show is recorded it transfers automatically to iTunes.

The only downside to the RadioShark is that it acts up if you record in "timeshift mode" (TiVo-like ability to pause/rewind live radio) but I don't have much need for the feature since I record shows to transfer to the iPod to listen to later. The length of time is only limited by the size of your hard drive. It's the best solution I could come up with.

sundevil67

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2005
Sirius Recording - Help!

I sure hope they do. I have a sweet new Video Ipod, and right now I am going through absolute hell trying to figure out how to record Sirius broadcasts before Howard comes on the scene. My main problem however is the horrible signal reception I get with the sirius. I am considering having a permanent antenna mounted on the roof of my house! If I can get a reliable signal, I will pull it into my computer via the Griffin Technology IMIC, but as of right now, I can only find an audio recording software solution for the PC - which means I will have to dust off my crappy old Windows computer from 1996 that I haven't used since I bought a Mac. Anyone know of a good audio recording program for the Mac that allows timed recordings? Audacity unfortunately doesn't have that feature....if I can get it all to work, bringing it into the Ipod would be the easy part.

Thanks.

sundevil67

huck500

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
Southern California
Sirius

I heard two Ween songs in one night on Sirius, and one of them was from an online-only release...

I actually hear bands I don't know on Sirius...and I can look at the screen and find out who it is...

I get BBC Radio1 on Sirius...

Regular radio gives me Blink 182...

Sirius wins.

coreybox

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2005
huck500 said:
I heard two Ween songs in one night on Sirius, and one of them was from an online-only release...

I actually hear bands I don't know on Sirius...and I can look at the screen and find out who it is...

I get BBC Radio1 on Sirius...

Regular radio gives me Blink 182...

Sirius wins.

word to that.

all i can listen to on regular radio is one oldies station, and one classic rock station. of course this way i here the same songs every day on my daily drives.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
For folks that have Satellite TV.Sirius has some channels on Dish Network.I just run a Toslink cable from the digital out on the receiver to the Digital in on my Mac and use the developer app called AU Lab to record and pause flawlessly.Works great!

OCOTILLO

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2005
Houston, TX
scorpion said:
It seems unlikely that Sirius will be added to the iPod, but consider Stern starts on the first day of MWSF.

Would be a huge PR move if it were true.
One of the reasons I subscribe to XM is because they do not have Stern.

sundevil67

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2005
Sirius Recording - Help!

I've downloaded and installed Audio Hijack, but I still can't seem to get this setup to work. I just can't get the audio from the Sirius radio to play through my Mac. I've tried "Line In" as well, which is a utility that helps manage audio signals. I have one of those JVC Tuners with the boombox (JVC KS-SB200 - Full Details Here), but it just doesn't seem to work. I found a good tutorial for recording XM using the same software (click here to see it), but the inputs are different (it uses RCAs instead of the standard stereo patch cable I am trying to use. I have tried multiple cables and just can't get it. This is killing me because I have gone through so much effort to get this going (permanent antenna mounted on the roof of the house, auto installation, etc.), and without the ability to record, the whole thing is a wash because I will miss the content I want to hear while I am at work.

I have the cable going from the "microphone" port on the iMic to the AUX por t on the boombox, and nada. If there is anyone that has done this successfully, please respond!

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Hmmmm....strange. Not exactly sure what the problem is, but it sounds like perhaps you aren't able to get the sound signal into your Mac?

Regarding RCA's vs. patch cables, there are simple adapters that will convert between the 2 plugs (it's just a hardware thing, there's no change to the actual sound signal.) You can buy them at Radio Shack for $4 bucks or so.

Maybe one troubleshooting step would be trying to get any audio signal into your computer and recorded through Audio Hijack. If you can do that, then getting the XM content should basically be the same.

EDIT- The JVC Boombox has a headphone out but not a line out. That means you have to turn up the volume, you can't turn it down to zero. Just checking-

sundevil67 said:
I've downloaded and installed Audio Hijack, but I still can't seem to get this setup to work. I just can't get the audio from the Sirius radio to play through my Mac. I've tried "Line In" as well, which is a utility that helps manage audio signals. I have one of those JVC Tuners with the boombox (JVC KS-SB200 - Full Details Here), but it just doesn't seem to work. I found a good tutorial for recording XM using the same software (click here to see it), but the inputs are different (it uses RCAs instead of the standard stereo patch cable I am trying to use. I have tried multiple cables and just can't get it. This is killing me because I have gone through so much effort to get this going (permanent antenna mounted on the roof of the house, auto installation, etc.), and without the ability to record, the whole thing is a wash because I will miss the content I want to hear while I am at work.

I have the cable going from the "microphone" port on the iMic to the AUX por t on the boombox, and nada. If there is anyone that has done this successfully, please respond!

sundevil67

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2005
Sirius Recording - Help!

EDIT- The JVC Boombox has a headphone out but not a line out. That means you have to turn up the volume, you can't turn it down to zero. Just checking-

Yes - I did learn this morning that the AUX input allows you to play other types of audio through the speakers on the BOOMBOX - so I started thinking that the AUX input was not the right place to be plugged in to. Can the "PHONES" input be the one I should be using? Are you saying that you can record from that source as long as the volume is up?

THANK YOU!

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
sundevil67 said:

Yes - I did learn this morning that the AUX input allows you to play other types of audio through the speakers on the BOOMBOX - so I started thinking that the AUX input was not the right place to be plugged in to. Can the "PHONES" input be the one I should be using? Are you saying that you can record from that source as long as the volume is up?

THANK YOU!

Yes, that's right. The AUX input should actually be a jack that allows you to plug in an iPod, etc. to play through the boombox speakers. The headphone jack actually sends out the signal of whatever is currently playing on the boombox. Just play around with the volume to find the level that gives good quality sound (probably around the middle), and you should be all set-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.