Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Hey all,

I’m considering putting my phone in my back pocket for various reasons and one thing that has been an annoyance when doing so is when I sit down I feel like I have to take the phone out my pocket and find somewhere to put it or hold it. I recently tried sitting on it while sitting on soft seats and it was fine (in a tech21 case)

Now I’m going caseless (can never find a case I like) and I’d like to put the phone in my back pocket and only remove it when sitting on a hard surface.

Anyone have any experience sitting on a larger naked iPhone?

I’d appreciate it if folks wouldn’t tell me I’m dumb for sitting on my phones, insist I need a case, or try it and see what happens. Just looking to leverage the community’s past experience to avoid a very expensive accident.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don’t Sit On Your Phone
Agreed!

Also ...
to avoid a very expensive accident… sit on your phone but don’t drink and drive

Plus you may run into the VERY unfortunate situation where you may sit on your phone, and also tute and then pickup to use your phone as well. Or your significant other or bruv. Let's just say roses is not what'll be in the air new the earpiece. ;)

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Haha I’m pretty cognizant of my phone being in the blast radius. So the main reason I want to put my phone in my back pocket is when I take my phone out of my pocket it has a bunch of super fine white dust/lint the screen. I’ve tried turning my pockets inside out in the was/dry and even lint rolling them. Still happens. And putting my phone in my back pocket is fine until I sit. Then I have to find somewhere to put it. Which is annoying

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I have had my iPhone (all max models) in my back pocket and sitting on them quite often and NEVER had any issues. I have always had a case on, but never a screen protector. I do obviously keep in mind what kind of chair I am sitting on, if there isn't much space in the chair and say half the phone will be on the edge of the chair I take it out and put it on the table or front pocket. I also don't shift my weight while sitting so its majority on the phone, but again never had any cracks or anything

Reactions: Reggaenald

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I’m considering putting my phone in my back pocket for various reasons and one thing that has been an annoyance when doing so is when I sit down I feel like I have to take the phone out my pocket and find somewhere to put it or hold it.

Then I have to find somewhere to put it. Which is annoying
Not annoying. At least for me. I consider it to be looking for a safe spot to place my ~$1000 phone so that nothing happens to it. Conveniently, I have established for myself several spots to do this depending on where I am. I've invested small amounts in business card holders over time so that I have several in the house (and at work whenever I was there). These are where my phone goes on the desk at night, on the desk in the front room where I work and on a table when I'm in the garage.

If I'm out, it's no big deal to either put my phone under my thigh or on the table in front of me. In the car it goes in a cupholder or in a small space in front of the shifter (which has a leather piece I laid down years ago so it's not grinding against dust on plastic).

If you're going to go caseless you have to start considering these things. It's part of that and if you do it enough it will become second nature.

Can't help you with pocket lint and such, but will say that I put my phone in my pocket upside down to prevent any dust or lint from getting inside the power port or the speaker grill. Usually though, when I pull it out I will reflexively wipe it against my thigh. And that's another thing to stop worrying about if you do…fingerprints. Accept the fact that your device is going to get fingerprints all over it. Again, I usually just wipe the screen against my thigh if it bothers me enough.

For the record, my wife DOES use cases - and she sits on her phones all the time. I've never had to replace her phones for bending or anything.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Why not set the phone down where you sit? i.e. A table at a restaurant, etc.

Not annoying. At least for me. I consider it to be looking for a safe spot to place my ~$1000 phone so that nothing happens to it. Conveniently, I have established for myself several spots to do this depending on where I am. I've invested small amounts in business card holders over time so that I have several in the house (and at work whenever I was there). These are where my phone goes on the desk at night, on the desk in the front room where I work and on a table when I'm in the garage.

If I'm out, it's no big deal to either put my phone under my thigh or on the table in front of me. In the car it goes in a cupholder or in a small space in front of the shifter (which has a leather piece I laid down years ago so it's not grinding against dust on plastic).

If you're going to go caseless you have to start considering these things. It's part of that and if you do it enough it will become second nature.

Can't help you with pocket lint and such, but will say that I put my phone in my pocket upside down to prevent any dust or lint from getting inside the power port or the speaker grill. Usually though, when I pull it out I will reflexively wipe it against my thigh. And that's another thing to stop worrying about if you do…fingerprints. Accept the fact that your device is going to get fingerprints all over it. Again, I usually just wipe the screen against my thigh if it bothers me enough.

For the record, my wife DOES use cases - and she sits on her phones all the time. I've never had to replace her phones for bending or anything.
Firstly thank you for speaking to my actual question. At home is someone less of an issue. I used to have a couple of places to leave my phone that I felt safe doing so. Sadly my young child continues to encroach on my space and my 72yo mother in law that has moved in is oblivious and has put things on previous phones or moved them then doesn’t know where she put them

When I’m in the car I either pop it on a MagSafe mount or put it in the space in front of the gear shift depending on the car

Mainly it’s when I’m out that I’m concerned. When I’m at a restaurant I don’t like putting my phone on the table for fear of food/drink getting on it. Again, accident prone youngster and elderly MIL. When I take my daughter to gymnastics there are only bleachers to sit on. When I go to a show I don’t want hold it for 2 hours and there isn’t anywhere to put it.

I have had my iPhone (all max models) in my back pocket and sitting on them quite often and NEVER had any issues. I have always had a case on, but never a screen protector. I do obviously keep in mind what kind of chair I am sitting on, if there isn't much space in the chair and say half the phone will be on the edge of the chair I take it out and put it on the table or front pocket. I also don't shift my weight while sitting so its majority on the phone, but again never had any cracks or anything
Thank you for providing your insights and experiences. I don’t think the case would protect the phone from pressure since it’s such a large surface. So it sounds like it’s possible a naked 14+ may be alright

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Firstly thank you for speaking to my actual question. At home is someone less of an issue. I used to have a couple of places to leave my phone that I felt safe doing so. Sadly my young child continues to encroach on my space and my 72yo mother in law that has moved in is oblivious and has put things on previous phones or moved them then doesn’t know where she put them

When I’m in the car I either pop it on a MagSafe mount or put it in the space in front of the gear shift depending on the car

Mainly it’s when I’m out that I’m concerned. When I’m at a restaurant I don’t like putting my phone on the table for fear of food/drink getting on it. Again, accident prone youngster and elderly MIL. When I take my daughter to gymnastics there are only bleachers to sit on. When I go to a show I don’t want hold it for 2 hours and there isn’t anywhere to put it.
Well, if I am out to eat and the table is crowded, as I mentioned, I usually just slip an edge or half of the phone under my thigh. Generally we request booths when we go out to eat so that's a bit easier than chairs. You're going to have your napkin in your lap so that can protect against any spills or drips.

In regards to shows, I usually just shut my phone off and then do the same as I do at restaurants. But if the chair is hard I will put it in a front pocket (or my inside jacket pocket if it's winter.

Totally understand your MIL. I had to keep track of my phone (and other stuff) when my MIL was in the house. As to kids, both of mine learned as toddlers and young children not to touch mom and dad's stuff. It also helped that we tended to let them use older stuff, or their own stuff. Both my kids used a 3GS for a while - back when the iPhone 6 and 7 series were new. My daughter earned a ban from using my iPad when she dented the back. She's 14 now and that ban is still in effect. She has her own phone though, which I make her use with a case. She's practically destroyed my wife's old iPhone 6s so when I got her an SE2 into a case it went.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
The kid isn’t allowed to use my phone without supervision. It’s mostly that she too is oblivious. I have an area that’s basically 1’x1’ on a side table next to “my chair”. Somehow her toys and stuff keeps ending up there. And eventually will be on my phone and/or may nudge it off. She’s just a kid and it’s not like she’d do it on purpose. When I point it out she puts her hand over her mouth and goes “opps, sorry daddy” and then cleans up the space. But it just ends up happening again a few days later.
I might try the thigh thing and see how it works.

Reactions: eyoungren

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Buy a Pro/Pro Max iphone. I don't think you could bend the stainless steel frame.
That’s a good point. Though one of the main reasons I didn’t get the pro max was the heft. JerryRigEverthing did a bend test on the 14+ and there was no flex. I’m mostly worried about cracking the camera or front/back glass

Reactions: Alex Cai

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The kid isn’t allowed to use my phone without supervision. It’s mostly that she too is oblivious. I have an area that’s basically 1’x1’ on a side table next to “my chair”. Somehow her toys and stuff keeps ending up there. And eventually will be on my phone and/or may nudge it off. She’s just a kid and it’s not like she’d do it on purpose. When I point it out she puts her hand over her mouth and goes “opps, sorry daddy” and then cleans up the space. But it just ends up happening again a few days later.
I might try the thigh thing and see how it works.
I have a video when my daughter was just learning to walk using furniture. We had a game. She'd slowly edge her way over to the side table where my phone was. I'd then tell her, 'No, that stuff is mine, leave it alone." Then I would pick her up and walk her over to the farthest side of the room and set her down.

I had about five minutes of peace as she slowly, inexorably made her way via couch and coffee table back to my side table to try for my phone again. :D

Repeat.

• Haha
Reactions: Reggaenald

WoodTableFromIkea

Suspended
Sep 23, 2022
Florida
Hey all,

I’m considering putting my phone in my back pocket for various reasons and one thing that has been an annoyance when doing so is when I sit down I feel like I have to take the phone out my pocket and find somewhere to put it or hold it. I recently tried sitting on it while sitting on soft seats and it was fine (in a tech21 case)

Now I’m going caseless (can never find a case I like) and I’d like to put the phone in my back pocket and only remove it when sitting on a hard surface.

Anyone have any experience sitting on a larger naked iPhone?

I’d appreciate it if folks wouldn’t tell me I’m dumb for sitting on my phones, insist I need a case, or try it and see what happens. Just looking to leverage the community’s past experience to avoid a very expensive accident.

Don't sit on your phone...? Is this even really necessary to say?

kevcube

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2020
such outrageous responses. apple knows that millions of people sit on their phones, myself included. unless you weigh 600lbs and have a stone ass you won't have any problems. people on MR love to fear the "what if" (see battery charging paranoia threads) but I have yet to hear one story of someone bending a recent iPhone. I didn't buy a phone that's sold as "durable" and "stands up to regular usage" so that I could have anxiety and baby it.

Choco Taco

Suspended
Nov 23, 2022
such outrageous responses. apple knows that millions of people sit on their phones, myself included. unless you weigh 600lbs and have a stone ass you won't have any problems. people on MR love to fear the "what if" (see battery charging paranoia threads) but I have yet to hear one story of someone bending a recent iPhone. I didn't buy a phone that's sold as "durable" and "stands up to regular usage" so that I could have anxiety and baby it.
A device with billions of microscopic transistors and tiny components would seem like a logical thing to not sit on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.