Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Bad idea. Bad for the phone with all the weight on it and bad for your lower back. But thieves would approve putting it in the rear pocket.
I once saw a girl riding a bicycle and her phone was halfway from falling out of her back pocket. Never cringed so hard.
I used to put a wallet in my back pocket around 10+ years ago back when wallets were a thing and ended up with minor back problems which quickly disappeared after I stopped doing that.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Wow. Such a lively conversation. I think I’m going to try eyoungren’s advice and put it under my thigh when a safe spot is not available. I’m currently visiting family for the holiday and finding a safe place to set it down has been a challenge. I hate cases but ended up putting one on simply so I could put the phone face down and know that the screen is alright and only the cameras are exposed. Might need to look into the Tech21 Evo Max which has a lens cover as well

Reactions: eyoungren

Choco Taco

Suspended
Nov 23, 2022
Wow. Such a lively conversation. I think I’m going to try eyoungren’s advice and put it under my thigh when a safe spot is not available. I’m currently visiting family for the holiday and finding a safe place to set it down has been a challenge. I hate cases but ended up putting one on simply so I could put the phone face down and know that the screen is alright and only the cameras are exposed. Might need to look into the Tech21 Evo Max which has a lens cover as well
A safe space would be the side pocket that only has the phone in it. No keys or wallet. Then you can sit to your heart's content.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
The main thing of importance, no matter how you think of a way to do it, DON'T BEND YOUR PHONE!
...................and do your best to not drop it either, especially into water. :eek:

Choco Taco

Suspended
Nov 23, 2022
The main thing of importance, no matter how you think of a way to do it, DON'T BEND YOUR PHONE!
...................and do your best to not drop it either, especially into water. :eek:
iPhones since around the iPhone 7 are water resistant. I mean it's still not a good idea to submerge your phone, but they're meant to withstand it.

Reactions: eyoungren

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
For the life of me, I will never never understand why people don't consider using a belt loop pouch to carry their phone. I realize there is a stigma that's been attached to doing that, considering it very "nerdy" but really to take a great idea and put it down is just nuts. The phone is most secure in the pouch. Some pouches are very slim and don't project out very far. They protect the phone from most impacts. They are very handy under any circumstance. They protect the phone if it's in a case from dust, because dust never accumulates in most pouches, as far as I'm concerned, they look fine and do the job in every way in this whole thread I have not seen one suggestion of that.

Could someone explain to me one negative to this outside of the artificial nerdy stigma that's been attached?

Reactions: MarkC426

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Zero negatives, I have used a pouch for EVER.
I don't care what people think...... my phone is protected.

I don't usually spend more than £400 on a new iPhone (hence current 7), but if I where spending £1k+ on a phone, it's a no-brainer.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, it's just so that it won't move is all. You don't want it slipping off the chair, or couch, or whatever it is you're sitting on. Note, this is NOT something I'd do if I was sitting on say concrete or brick or anything similar to that.

I usually just put half the phone underneath my thigh (screen facing up). It's not going to put any real pressure on anything.

Reactions: jcorbin

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
They're stupid when it comes to making water resistant devices that aren't covered by water damage.
Ah but you see, they are careful to tout "water resistance".
But there's all kinds of water.
There's relative humidity without liquid immersion.
There's getting caught out in an unexpected thunderstorm.
There's accidentally dropping the phone in the toilet.
There's tossing it into the goldfish pond or coin fountain to film a video.
And then there's scuba diving in salt water.
Take your pick.
All Apple advertises is "water resistant".
Not waterproof.
People do all kinds of crazy things.

Choco Taco

Suspended
Nov 23, 2022
Ah but you see, they are careful to tout "water resistance".
But there's all kinds of water.
There's relative humidity without liquid immersion.
There's getting caught out in an unexpected thunderstorm.
There's accidentally dropping the phone in the toilet.
There's tossing it into the goldfish pond or coin fountain to film a video.
And then there's scuba diving in salt water.
Take your pick.
All Apple advertises is "water resistant".
Not waterproof.
People do all kinds of crazy things.
They literally advertise their phones being splashed with water and don't cover their iPhones from water damage. It's idiocy.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
They literally advertise their phones being splashed with water and don't cover their iPhones from water damage. It's idiocy.
I used to submerge both my 8 and 12 Mini each month to thoroughly clean them. I did that for 2.5 years with the 8 and 1.5 years with the 12 Mini and never had any water related problems. They are both waterproof. I probably won’t do it anymore due to their age as the seals may not be as good as new anymore.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
Since the 8/+ the iPhone has been water resistant up to 1 atmosphere or 1 meter for 30 minutes. Washing your phone under the tap isn't going to bother it any. If your phone is water damaged, then they know you dropped it in the lake or something and somehow recovered it and no they're not going to cover that damage. I washed my 8+ about once a month and do the same with my 11PM. Oldest has my 8+ now and still does the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.