Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As anticipation builds for Apple's upcoming iPhone 16 series, the rumor mill has highlighted some potential camera upgrades that could change how we use our iPhones for photography.

iPhone-16-Cameras-Feature-1.jpg

The camera system has always been a cornerstone of Apple's iPhone, and this year Apple appears set to push the envelope even further. As the iPhone 16 launch in September approaches, all eyes will be on how the following changes might maintain Apple's competitive edge in an increasingly crowded market.

1. Vertical Camera Layout
iPhone 16 & iPhone 16 Plus
Apple's iPhone 16 base models will feature a vertical camera arrangement with a pill-shaped raised surface, instead of a diagonal camera arrangement like the iPhone 15. The new camera bump features two separate camera rings for the Wide and Ultrawide cameras. The vertical camera layout is expected to enable Spatial Video recording, which is currently limited to the iPhone 15 Pro models.

2. Ultra Wide Lens Upgrade
iPhone 16 Pro & iPhone 16 Pro Max
The iPhone 16 Pro models are expected to feature an upgraded 48-megapixel Ultra Wide camera lens, which would allow it to capture more light, resulting in improved photos when shooting in 0.5× mode, especially in low-light environments. This also means that iPhone 16 Pro models should be able to shoot 48-megapixel ProRAW photos in Ultra Wide mode. These photos retain more detail in the image file for more editing flexibility, and can be printed at large sizes.

3. Super Telephoto Camera
iPhone 16 Pro Max
The iPhone 16 Pro Max could be the first iPhone to feature a super telephoto periscope camera for dramatically increased optical zoom. "Super" or "ultra" telephoto usually describes cameras with a focal length of over 300mm. The current telephoto lens is equivalent to a 77mm lens, so if accurate, there could be a notable increase in zoom capabilities. Super telephoto cameras are often used for sports and wild animal photography, but the extremely soft backgrounds they create also make them useful for portrait photography, providing there is enough distance between the subject and the photographer.

4. Tetraprism Lens
iPhone 16 Pro
Both iPhone 16 Pro models are expected to feature 5x optical zoom, which is currently exclusive to the iPhone 15 Pro Max. Apple's tetraprism lens system has a "folded" design that allows it to fit inside the smartphone, enabling up to 5x optical zoom and up to 25x digital zoom. In contrast, the current smaller iPhone 15 Pro is limited to up to 3x optical zoom, which is in line with the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.

5. Reduced Lens Flare
All iPhone 16 Models
Apple is said to be testing a new anti-reflective optical coating technology for its iPhone cameras that could improve the quality of photos by reducing artifacts like lens flare and ghosting. Apple plans to bring new atomic layer deposition (ALD) equipment into the iPhone camera lens manufacturing process to apply the coating. ALD-applied materials can also protect against environmental damage to the camera lens system without affecting the sensor's ability to capture light effectively.

6. Capture Button
All iPhone 16 Models
All iPhone 16 models will have a new camera-based "Capture Button" dedicated to quickly triggering image or video capture. The button will add features like the ability to zoom in and out by swiping left and right on the button, focus on a subject with a light press, and activate a recording with a more forceful press. The Capture Button will be located on the bottom right side of the ‌iPhone 16, and will take the place of the mmWave antenna on U.S. ‌iPhone‌ models, with the antenna relocating to the left side of the device below the volume and Action buttons.

Article Link: Six Rumored iPhone 16 Camera Upgrades Coming This Year

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
I'm glad the camera keeps getting better and the price seems like no object for people to buy it. It would be wild if 10 years from now the iPhone Pro ends up with a camera suitable for making a theatrical film or big budget TV. I've seen the phone cases the pros who are using iPhones are using, and they are more like very expensive rigs with contacts for hand controls, mounted lights and sensors, steady cam, etc. And processor improvements will let us easily record 8K by then too, now that Apple lets us export video directly to a computer or storage with Thunderbolt.

Asthmatic Kitty

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
3. Super Telephoto Camera
iPhone 16 Pro Max
The iPhone 16 Pro Max could be the first iPhone to feature a super telephoto periscope camera for dramatically increased optical zoom. "Super" or "ultra" telephoto usually describes cameras with a focal length of over 300mm. The current telephoto lens is equivalent to a 77mm lens, so if accurate, there could be a notable increase in zoom capabilities. Super telephoto cameras are often used for sports and wild animal photography, but the extremely soft backgrounds they create also make them useful for portrait photography, providing there is enough distance between the subject and the photographer.

Isn't the 77mm equivalent the 3x lens on the Pro, and the current Pro Max's 5x lens is 120mm equivalent?

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
what's the difference between assigning action button for camera and shutter button? dedicated shutter button is only worthwhile if iPhone can do AOD camera which users have option to turn on camera all the time and shutter button takes the photo.

Reactions: Guacamole

JH101

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2023
It's going to be very hard to hold 300mm steady with the shape of an iphone. I already struggle with the X5 and then digitally zooming to find my object, can't imagine how hard it would be with 300mm!

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I still have my 2007 iPhone and owned the 3Gs, and must disagree with this portion of the article.
I've got to agree with the article.

I remember at the time how better the camera was next to most competitors. It was ridiculous.

Now of course what's ridiculous today is the quality of those photos, but go back 14 years ago, it was true innovation.

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Why do I have a feeling that super telephoto is not going to happen ? seems highly unlikely for Apple to add both 48MP UW and super telephoto at the same time.
5X is already a bit much for me, and I suspect that getting people to properly hold their phones for long shots will be difficult. Heck, using my mirrorless camera at 400 mm can be difficult.

Reactions: Smittywerben

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Bringing 48mp to the telephoto would be so much more meaningful. Frustrated that we need to wait ANOTHER year for an upgrade competing phones (ie pixel phones) have had for a while now.

I'm just hoping for better image processing compared to my 13 Pro Max. It is the ONE thing I truly don't like about this otherwise perfect phone.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
I'm glad the camera keeps getting better and the price seems like no object for people to buy it. It would be wild if 10 years from now the iPhone Pro ends up with a camera suitable for making a theatrical film or big budget TV.
I wouldn't rule it out, but computational photography has still to go a long way until it can compete with physics (like a large sensor). Either way as soon as you start shooting a theatrical film or big budget TV, you'll notice that the camera is one of the least and cheapest of the factors that makes them look great. So, yes, it would be wild, but it wouldn't make a big difference.

Maybe generative AI will then be good enough to also save you the millions you'd need to spend on sets, lighting, costumes, props, crew, actors, vfx,... but then you wouldn't need great camera hardware anymore.

mrmax86

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2021
Lafayette, IN
what's the difference between assigning action button for camera and shutter button? dedicated shutter button is only worthwhile if iPhone can do AOD camera which users have option to turn on camera all the time and shutter button takes the photo.
  1. There's already a hole in the frame there
  2. The indicated features of light press for focus, hard press for record are not features needed in an action button
  3. Everyone and their brother is used to that side of the phone facing up when taking landscape photos.
  4. In the orientation mentioned above, the shutter button on the right is the same as physical cameras.
  5. The more I think about it, the more it also makes sense just from a usability perspective, in a right-hand-dominated world.
Does the current action button work as a shutter button? I've never used an 15.

Last edited:

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
A vertical camera alignment is an upgrade? I mean it's neither an upgrade or a downgrade, it's just a different alignment (possibly to ensure you will need to get a new case when upgrading from past 13-14-15 models).

• Disagree
Reactions: diandi

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Sounds good to me being a photographer. I'm looking forward to the reviews. And if they're positive will likely be purchasing a 16 PM.

imtoretto

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2023
i had read in another article that the 17pro max is the one to go to; looks like apple is holding till the 17promax to drop all the "high end" tech on it, specifically the camera department.

Reactions: transpo1

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
There were rumors about 48MP camera coming to the telephoto as well, but many of those seemed to focus on the following year. I think it's more likely that Apple will keep the same 5X tetraprism lens and add a 48MP camera sensor to it, so you can do 5X or 10X, like how you can do 1X or 2X with the main camera now. Then you won't need a big bulky internal periscope with moving parts that has smaller apertures for darker, noisier photos. Apple likes to keep it relatively simple. Then make this the Max exclusive feature this year since the base is getting the 5X.

For some reason the article refers to the current telephoto lens as 77mm on the Max when it's 120mm on the Max. So 300mm would be more like 12.5X. I doubt they go that far. 240mm is still considered super zoom in the world of photography since it's 10x the normal 24mm lens.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Why do I have a feeling that super telephoto is not going to happen ? seems highly unlikely for Apple to add both 48MP UW and super telephoto at the same time.
I bet they'll "extend" the capability of the telephoto but it won't be that significant; an evolutioinary 7x instead of 5x, something like that. But they will probably do something to further differentiate the Pro Max from Pro model.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
i had read in another article that the 17pro max is the one to go to; looks like apple is holding till the 17promax to drop all the "high end" tech on it, specifically the camera department.
That's the one I'll *try* to wait for before upgrading from my 15PM.

Reactions: imtoretto
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.