Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I disagree coming from a 14PM to a 15PM. Have you owned both?
I've watched dozens of reviews solely about the camera covering all possible use cases and I've tried both, yes. I have a 14 Pro myself.

ApAx

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2023
United States
I really would like Apple to stop developing a super duper super expensive camera with a smart phone attached, and let me buy a super duper smart phone with a standard consumer spec camera. I'm not ever going to film a pro motion movie with external storage plugged into the phone sitting on a tripod...

Reactions: Surf Monkey

slvrscoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
NJ
I bet they'll "extend" the capability of the telephoto but it won't be that significant; an evolutioinary 7x instead of 5x, something like that. But they will probably do something to further differentiate the Pro Max from Pro model.
probably do the same as the 1x (which is misnomer in of itself) - itll be 48MP 5X and 12MP 10X

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
I really would like Apple to stop developing a super duper super expensive camera with a smart phone attached, and let me buy a super duper smart phone with a standard consumer spec camera. I'm not ever going to film a pro motion movie with external storage plugged into the phone sitting on a tripod...
They probably aren't spending more on the camera module then they have in the past. They are just pushing what they can do with a fixed budget and space constraints. So dumbing down the camera isn't going to save you much money.

Given that people DO shoot narrative films with iPhones, I wish Apple would embrace that market and make a dedicated camera with larger lenses and useful cinema features like wireless mikes.

henrikhelmers

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2017
Please add proper ProRes RAW support. Adjusting white balance in post makes all the difference. Come on iPhone you can do it

Reactions: transpo1

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
The improvements in the camera department better be really good this year because the difference between 15 Pro and 14 Pro was minimal...
I beg to differ. We used the 15 Pro to play Death Stranding and it was magnificent! You can’t do that on your 14 Pro… 😉

ApAx

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2023
United States
They probably aren't spending more on the camera module then they have in the past. They are just pushing what they can do with a fixed budget and space constraints. So dumbing down the camera isn't going to save you much money.

Given that people DO shoot narrative films with iPhones, I wish Apple would embrace that market and make a dedicated camera with larger lenses and useful cinema features like wireless mikes.

The last few iterations of iphone have been “we made inprovements to the camera and not much else.” I’m fine if iphone has plateaued for a bit, but honestly if professional quality photography is that important, perhaps buy a professional camera purpose built for professional photography? Or segment iPhone models into one that can film avatar singlehandedly and one that is more aligned with general consumer mobile tech/specs and reduce sale price.

As it is now, i’m forced to buy expensive hollywood quality camera tech just so i can stay on a supported phone for web browsing standards.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
probably do the same as the 1x (which is misnomer in of itself) - itll be 48MP 5X and 12MP 10X
Yup, sounds about right. But I’ll wait until 17 PM when all the sensors are 48MP. Also, I’m hoping they bring back the medium telephoto lens at some point and have 4 sensors— but that might be awhile 😛

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Capture button and reduction in lens flare will happen most probably. But don't think there will be an increased zoom for 16 Pro Max. Upgraded ultra wide lens will be nice.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Yup, sounds about right. But I’ll wait until 17 PM when all the sensors are 48MP. Also, I’m hoping they bring back the medium telephoto lens at some point and have 4 sensors— but that might be awhile 😛

No one needs 48 megapixels on a phone. The overkill that represents is absurd. The diminishing returns of packing that many sensor sites onto a very small chip aren’t worth it for serious photographers and the only way Apple makes it work is by using excessive processing on the images, even on Apple’s so-called RAW.

Chasing pixels is a very lame and pointless thing for Apple to do. Pure marketing.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
No one needs 48 megapixels on a phone. The overkill that represents is absurd. The diminishing returns of packing that many sensor sites onto a very small chip aren’t worth it for serious photographers and the only way Apple makes it work is by using excessive processing on the images, even on Apple’s so-called RAW.

Chasing pixels is a very lame and pointless thing for Apple to do. Pure marketing.
Nevertheless, Apple are upgrading them.

A tiny lens on an iPhone will never truly grant the image quality professional photographers and filmmakers (such as myself) can get from larger, high quality photo lenses. However, I have noticed an appreciable difference going from 12MP sensors on the iPhone to 48MP, so this will improve the photos we capture of our families, friends, and life events.

For that reason, it is worth upgrading if you want the best quality photos from your phone. YMMV, but I for one, am glad Apple is staying competitive in the MP arena…

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Nevertheless, Apple are upgrading them.

A tiny lens on an iPhone will never truly grant the image quality professional photographers and filmmakers (such as myself) can get from larger, high quality photo lenses. However, I have noticed an appreciable difference going from 12MP sensors on the iPhone to 48MP, so this will improve the photos we capture of our families, friends, and life events.

For that reason, it is worth upgrading if you want the best quality photos from your phone. YMMV, but I for one, am glad Apple is staying competitive in the MP arena…

I really don’t think Apple’s over processed images and videos are the best you can get from a phone anymore.

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
i’m forced to buy expensive hollywood quality camera tech

Nobody uses every feature on their phone, so agonizing about the bits you don't use doesn't make sense. Again, you won't save any money by dumbing down the camera, because the cost of an extra product category and inventory would eat up any savings.

"Hollywood quality" is very much a moving target. Today's iPhones can do some things better than a film camera from the 1980's. But not others.

Improvements in the camera are easy to advertise. Bigger numbers and nice pictures make clear messaging, whereas improvements to Siri would involve pointing out Siri's current flaws, and would sound like stuff that people thought it could already do. I agree, they really need to fix confusing issues all over the iPhone, but the people who work on cameras probably would not be able to help with that.

Reactions: transpo1

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
I really don’t think Apple’s over processed images and videos are the best you can get from a phone anymore.
That’s probably debatable as there are many factors that go into making a great photo (more than just MP). However, I was saying it in the context of a Macrumors forum, so what I meant was— best quality photos possible from an iPhone.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
That’s probably debatable as there are many factors that go into making a great photo (more than just MP). However, I was saying it in the context of a Macrumors forum, so what I meant was— best quality photos possible from an iPhone.

Even that is a questionable proposition. Apple adds more and more processing to their output all the time. As I noted earlier, even their “RAW” output is processed. So unless you really like how Apple sharpens and composites and handles color science etc. you probably have superior choices elsewhere. To me that’s a problem. Apple used to have the undisputed best cameras in any phone. I don’t believe that’s the case anymore.

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
Others may have caught up, but I seriously doubt that Apple has regressed at all. Apple's cameras are aimed at people who don't want to do much post-processing. What I have seen recently beats the tar out of my 6s.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Even that is a questionable proposition. Apple adds more and more processing to their output all the time. As I noted earlier, even their “RAW” output is processed. So unless you really like how Apple sharpens and composites and handles color science etc. you probably have superior choices elsewhere. To me that’s a problem. Apple used to have the undisputed best cameras in any phone. I don’t believe that’s the case anymore.
A “questionable proposition” and your use of the word “probably” denotes that it is debatable whether iPhone has the best photos, which it most certainly is. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so one could argue indefinitely about this. Seeing that this is a Macrumors forum, most people here are probably not going to look elsewhere for a phone that produces high quality photos but that is also, debatable. 😉

• Haha

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Contributor
May 11, 2016
You know, I see very little reason to upgrade from my 13 Pro Max. I was thinking about waiting for the 16 but what’s compelling about it? All the changes are evolutionary, not revolutionary. Verizon keeps putting the 15 upgrade offer in my face and when it becomes worth it I’ll probably take it but they’ve got to come down on the price of the Pro Max. Not going to lie, only thing that’s appealing is getting rid of lightning.. but I still need it for my ancient iPad 9th gen anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.