Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qqwweerrttyy

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2020
i get this feeling sometimes? Usually when I’m laying down or looking Down for long periods of time. I checked here to see if I had any issues that Needed to be seen but if it turns out, even after 12 years no one knows.

• Sad
Reactions: compwiz1202

qqwweerrttyy

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2020
i get this feeling sometimes? Usually when I’m laying down or looking Down for long periods of time. I checked here to see if I had any issues that Needed to be seen but if it turns out, even after 12 years no one knows.

well I mean I guess a few people know but it still seems that some aren’t too sure about it. There are multiple answers and none are final.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I know this thread is old but just an FYI I had this when I got bad whiplash. Go see a Dr and make sure the vertebrae in your neck isn't messed up. Mine is probably permanently because I hesitated but I don't really notice it day to day.

qqwweerrttyy

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2020
Oh dang. I don’t have the time fore that, and I don’t think my parents would take me for something that sounds this stupid,,

donatello200

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2022
Sorry to wake up this old thread again but:

I would say that this is definetely linked to CSF flow but probably nothing really serious.

Few years back I was diagnosed with spontaneous intracranial hypotension caused by CSF leak somewhere in the spine. I experienced this sound first for a period of couple of months when I was recovering from the leak. (This sound was the least of the symptoms, but of course very noticeable). I can confirm that the sound is not the same as crepitus. It happened mostly when I was laying completely still with absolutely no movement or any tension in the neck.

Eventually when I got better also the sound disappeared.

Since then, the leak has recurred twice - and yes - the sizzling sound too at the same time only to disappear as the other leak symptoms have gone better. So at least in my case they're linked. Having read through this thread there have been few similar mentions (i.e. chiari malformation, hydrocephalus) I think it pretty much validates the theory about it being linked to obstructed / abnormal CSF flow.

Then again I also have a perfectly healthy friend who says she has had this always. She says she hears it only when she is hungry.

Reactions: Blloyd1123

Blloyd1123

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2022
Sorry to wake up this old thread again but:

I would say that this is definetely linked to CSF flow but probably nothing really serious.

Few years back I was diagnosed with spontaneous intracranial hypotension caused by CSF leak somewhere in the spine. I experienced this sound first for a period of couple of months when I was recovering from the leak. (This sound was the least of the symptoms, but of course very noticeable). I can confirm that the sound is not the same as crepitus. It happened mostly when I was laying completely still with absolutely no movement or any tension in the neck.

Eventually when I got better also the sound disappeared.

Since then, the leak has recurred twice - and yes - the sizzling sound too at the same time only to disappear as the other leak symptoms have gone better. So at least in my case they're linked. Having read through this thread there have been few similar mentions (i.e. chiari malformation, hydrocephalus) I think it pretty much validates the theory about it being linked to obstructed / abnormal CSF flow.

Then again I also have a perfectly healthy friend who says she has had this always. She says she hears it only when she is hungry.
I have this same noise, and I had a baby 4 weeks ago with a janked up epidural… gave me csf leak. I’ve healed it a lot at home by resting , the headache portion of it is gone but once I’m up and moving through the day my left ear becomes slightly muffled and when I’m laying I get that bacon sizzle noise in my neck. I know that’s telling me the csf leak is still there although this and the ear issue are my only remaining symptoms. Out of curiosity how long did it take you to heal the leaks, for this noise to go away?

Holdonwait

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2022
Okay, so I swear I'm not crazy.... or at least not TOO crazy. Anyway, today here at work, I'm talking to my team lead and my neck starts doing this sizzling thing. Right from the base of my neck where it meets the skull, there's this sizzly / tingly / think french fries in hot oil weird sound coming out... and he can hear it, too. He says he has the same thing.

I've googled, I've web-md'd, and I can't find crap on this. I've not asked my doctor about it, but I'm going to. Anyone else have this?

It's not a sound coming from bones, or from turning your head. Don't say arthritis, because that's not it either. It's like it comes right out of my spine. I'm 22, going on 23 on the 24th of this month... and these noises didn't really start until I was like 18 or 19. They usually come on when I'm super hungry. My stomach growls with hunger pain, and then I hear the sizzles.

So, do you have the same thing? Know what it is? Am I really crazy, or what?
I have the exact same thing as well as it only happening when I am hungry PLEASE. tell me what it is when you get checked out I need to know.

Shikshya

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2022
I've never really thought much of it... simply because it never seemed threatening and only happens when I'm hungry. Wouldn't have noticed it again today, but I managed to skip breakfast and was starving.

The only problem, is my doctor is going to look at me like I'm a friggin nutcase. I can't exactly reproduce the problem very easily, either.

So, no one else with the same
I've never really thought much of it... simply because it never seemed threatening and only happens when I'm hungry. Wouldn't have noticed it again today, but I managed to skip breakfast and was starving.

The only problem, is my doctor is going to look at me like I'm a friggin nutcase. I can't exactly reproduce the problem very easily, either.

So, no one else with the same hissing spine?
I hear sizzling sound when I’m painfully hungry and my stomach growls...it’s been 14 years though i hope you see this?

Reactions: mrwizardno2

David brown 2583

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2022
Okay, so I swear I'm not crazy.... or at least not TOO crazy. Anyway, today here at work, I'm talking to my team lead and my neck starts doing this sizzling thing. Right from the base of my neck where it meets the skull, there's this sizzly / tingly / think french fries in hot oil weird sound coming out... and he can hear it, too. He says he has the same thing.

I've googled, I've web-md'd, and I can't find crap on this. I've not asked my doctor about it, but I'm going to. Anyone else have this?

It's not a sound coming from bones, or from turning your head. Don't say arthritis, because that's not it either. It's like it comes right out of my spine. I'm 22, going on 23 on the 24th of this month... and these noises didn't really start until I was like 18 or 19. They usually come on when I'm super hungry. My stomach growls with hunger pain, and then I hear the sizzles.

So, do you have the same thing? Know what it is? Am I really crazy, or what?
Hi Did u ever find out what it was ? I am having the same thing happen too ?

Ahmedhamza

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2022
This happened to me after a strong blow and a fall on the head. I hear it when I am hungry, and the sound precedes an upset stomach. I think it's the vagus nerve

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Your neurologist lied to you. Most likely, he thought it was a non-consequential lie about a non-relevant symptom in an effort to change the subject to the more pressing/important/urgent issues at hand or to finish the visit. I get that you have an Arnold Chiari malformation, but that does not amount to it being the cause of the sizzling. You can have Arnold Chiari and a nail fungal infection and it does not mean the Chiari is the cause of the infection.

I'm sincerely sorry about your condition, and hope you get better, but no, "hunger signals" DO NOT travel to the brain via the CSF, that is preposterous.

I tried to not respond again in this thread, but what you wrote could be interpreted wrongly by some of the people reading this, altough you do well to clarify that it does not apply to every situation.

Once again, and I promise this is the last time I interject facts in the theory that convinces you, tickles your fancy and gives you peace: the sizzling sound are tiny gas bubbles coming up your oesophagus to your throat, that's why they go away after you drink ANYthing. CSF movement (created at a rate of about 20-25 ml per hour, that is less than an ounce BTW) is really slow, and you can not hear it, not unless you had a CSF fistula to your ear, and then the sound is the least of your problems.

Really hope you get better soon.

Found this thread today through a Google search. I also have a Chiari malformation and have experienced this my whole life. I really think it could be due to some type of compression which is painless, or even an asymptomatic Chiari malformation and people in this thread are just unaware they have it.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
It's not a condition. At least not in the strict sense where is synonym with "disease". It is just one of many noises the human body makes as it functions, and you hear it when your brain is not busy with something else.

Try reading at least the last few pages on this thread.

I don’t know why, but all throughout this thread you have seemed to claim to know what this issue is, when I think that is clearly not the case.

Over and over people have commented that it happens 1. while hungry and 2. while laying down.

It is literally the same thing for me. I’ve only experienced it maybe a handful of times while *not* hungry. And almost never if I wasn’t laying down.

The fact that such a small minority of people experience this definitely lends itself to the idea that it is some type of syndrome or possibly a structural issue.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Just keep ignoring it, seems to have been fine so far?

:D

More and more I believe it’s a SYMPTOM of something else. Autoimmune condition? Neck issue? CSF issue? What could be the underlying causes that seem to connect us all?

One thing almost everyone reports is that nobody in their lives understands what they’re talking about when they try to explain. It’s the same for me, family, friends, doctors, none of them have ever experienced this.

This tells us it is very rare and uncommon. Why? There is something to this.

VuvuzelaiPhone

Suspended
Aug 15, 2022
This just sounds like really bad acid reflux. When I experienced it this bad, I started Prilosec (~2 weeks or so I think) and it was gone.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
This just sounds like really bad acid reflux. When I experienced it this bad, I started Prilosec (~2 weeks or so I think) and it was gone.

I don’t think it occurs often enough to be acid reflux, I’ve been hungry an uncountable number of times and never experienced it. (Nor after eating)

It just…happens whenever it wants to. Pop rocks, sizzling (electrical) sounds are a must. If you wouldn’t describe the “noise” as pop rocks or an electrical buzzing then people definitely aren’t experiencing it.

VuvuzelaiPhone

Suspended
Aug 15, 2022
I don’t think it occurs often enough to be acid reflux, I’ve been hungry an uncountable number of times and never experienced it. (Nor after eating)

It just…happens whenever it wants to. Pop rocks, sizzling (electrical) sounds are a must. If you wouldn’t describe the “noise” as pop rocks or an electrical buzzing then people definitely aren’t experiencing it.
I don't see the connection between frequency and acid reflux.

Acid reflux has varying degree of severity and is variable depending on a variety of circumstances (in the same individual). I've only experienced this sensation a handful of times.

I have personal experience with pop rocks like sounds and it being related to acid reflux.

Regardless, going to a doctor is best as described here many times.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I don't see the connection between frequency and acid reflux.

Acid reflux has varying degree of severity and is variable depending on a variety of circumstances (in the same individual). I've only experienced this sensation a handful of times.

I have personal experience with pop rocks like sounds and it being related to acid reflux.

Regardless, going to a doctor is best as described here many times.

I have experienced this on and off for more than 15 years and I’ve been googling about it online for about maybe 4-5 (not regularly…) & I haven’t seen one single case of a doctor knowing what it was or even being particularly interested. It seems benign and can’t be reproduced on demand, so I doubt we’ll ever get any answers. I wish doctors would read through this thread actually, most of us have been looked at like we have 3 heads whenever we bring it up. It must be such a small percentage of people who experience this that I’d bet my life there’s a medical condition or structural condition of the brain or spine that causes this. It’s gotta be a symptom of something else…or else why do so few people experience this? Almost no one ever reports having a friend or family member who knows what they’re talking about. I bet you don’t either?

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
I also get this sizzling sound only while hungry & laying down. Had been ongoing for a few years. Recently not getting it often anymore.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Ywp same exact thing but i hear it more when iam hungry and walking

Part of me thinks it’s a parasite or a virus or a bacteria or something that we all have in common. Either that or a mild Chiari malformation or some type of brainstem / spinal issue near the neck or the back of the head. Way too many people experience this, but also not enough people, for it to be random or something that isn’t pathological.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.