Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starmaclainee

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2019
I have the same issue in my neck too (at the base of the skull where the necks meets) it’s like a sizzling noise. Almost like pouring sand down a metal pipe. Non painful but can be alarming if you’ve never heard it before. I spoke with my doctor about that sound a few years ago and his statement was (possibly could be the spine fluid moving around) and I should not be alarmed unless it becomes painful in the area or I start to have a stiff neck, which hasn’t happened. So my advice to you is, if it’s worrisome to you, have it checked, as I did and apparently it’s normal. Some people can hear it and some can’t.

According to your statements, it only happens when you’re hungry. Stay fed!!!

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
According to your statements, it only happens when you’re hungry. Stay fed!!!
No, no! If it's harmless, no sense packing on the pounds to see if that will make it stop! I always say if you're not hungry before your next meal, you're eating too much!!

No, I didn't read all the posts.

Mikmac1991

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2019
I've never really thought much of it... simply because it never seemed threatening and only happens when I'm hungry. Wouldn't have noticed it again today, but I managed to skip breakfast and was starving.

The only problem, is my doctor is going to look at me like I'm a friggin nutcase. I can't exactly reproduce the problem very easily, either.

So, no one else with the same hissing spine?
[doublepost=1562452683][/doublepost]Hey,

I have the exact same problem Especially when hungry!
Have you figured it out as yet?

Bacon_neck

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2017
I just realized that I never posted an update but I also don't have an update. just wanted to update that it is still happening.
[doublepost=1565538978][/doublepost]I just realized that I never posted an update but I also don't have an update. just wanted to update that it is still happening.

Reactions: CelesteAnn

CelesteAnn

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2019
Okay, so I swear I'm not crazy.... or at least not TOO crazy. Anyway, today here at work, I'm talking to my team lead and my neck starts doing this sizzling thing. Right from the base of my neck where it meets the skull, there's this sizzly / tingly / think french fries in hot oil weird sound coming out... and he can hear it, too. He says he has the same thing.

I've googled, I've web-md'd, and I can't find crap on this. I've not asked my doctor about it, but I'm going to. Anyone else have this?

It's not a sound coming from bones, or from turning your head. Don't say arthritis, because that's not it either. It's like it comes right out of my spine. I'm 22, going on 23 on the 24th of this month... and these noises didn't really start until I was like 18 or 19. They usually come on when I'm super hungry. My stomach growls with hunger pain, and then I hear the sizzles.

So, do you have the same thing? Know what it is? Am I really crazy, or what?
[doublepost=1567088849][/doublepost]YES! I experience the same thing and everything is like “oh it’s air bubbles, etc.,” and no, I know what cracking/popping my neck sounds like- this isn’t it. To me it sounds like static/sand traveling down like maybe electrical signals from my brain to the rest of the body? I always hear it when I first wake up.

Nmf1028

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2019
I too have this and found this page googling it. Did you ever figure out what it is? It drives me crazy. It also sometimes happens when I'm walking though but mostly when I'm very hungry and it's louder if I'm laying down

I've never really thought much of it... simply because it never seemed threatening and only happens when I'm hungry. Wouldn't have noticed it again today, but I managed to skip breakfast and was starving.

The only problem, is my doctor is going to look at me like I'm a friggin nutcase. I can't exactly reproduce the problem very easily, either.

So, no one else with the same hissing spine?

anonr

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2019
Okay, so I swear I'm not crazy.... or at least not TOO crazy. Anyway, today here at work, I'm talking to my team lead and my neck starts doing this sizzling thing. Right from the base of my neck where it meets the skull, there's this sizzly / tingly / think french fries in hot oil weird sound coming out... and he can hear it, too. He says he has the same thing.

I've googled, I've web-md'd, and I can't find crap on this. I've not asked my doctor about it, but I'm going to. Anyone else have this?

It's not a sound coming from bones, or from turning your head. Don't say arthritis, because that's not it either. It's like it comes right out of my spine. I'm 22, going on 23 on the 24th of this month... and these noises didn't really start until I was like 18 or 19. They usually come on when I'm super hungry. My stomach growls with hunger pain, and then I hear the sizzles.

So, i know I'm almost a decade late, but I have the EXACT same problem and it's freaked me out for a couple years. It's like a live electrical wire came up my throat.

Dezi

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2019
I'll be back to finish this in another 8-10 years, assuming Mac Rumors is still around. Antici....

Best. Post. Ever. Negative on the bacon OD. If I do 'go' that's definitely the way I'd prefer! Mmmmmm. Bacon.

An update for the rest of you thread necros: My neck still sizzles. I'm nearly 32. No fancy number thing for my age this time. Seriously, I'm replying to a thread from 2009....

I went to the doc for this years ago. As you might expect, she looked at me like I was bat-sht crazy. I explained it a few times, but nothing ever came of it that I can remember. She listened to my neck. Looked down my throat. Stuck a finger in my... uhhhh. Wait, no, that last part didn't happen. I got the good once-over, but she couldn't explain what it was. Just the standard hypothesis that the noise comes from my esophagus.

Whether related or not, a few years later I was treated for severe migraines (apparently intensely allergic to Aspartame) and as a result had a fancy CT scan (I think they do something with a computer) of my noggin to make sure nothing scary was happening in there. The doc jokingly told me "Well, we see something." Apparently she didn't think through how terrifying those initial words were. What she corrected herself to say after seeing my horrified look was "You can tell your friends your head isn't empty, we can confirm - you have a brain."

I stopped worrying about whatever the sizzling could be after that.

you are the first person I’ve found that can relate to what I’m hearing to a T and it’s been stressing me out because I can’t find anything that explains what’s going on, knowing you went to the doctor and got a CT scan for it and nothing was wrong it amazing. Nobody could explain it and I’ve asked 3 doctors all with that crazy look they give.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
you are the first person I’ve found that can relate to what I’m hearing to a T and it’s been stressing me out because I can’t find anything that explains what’s going on, knowing you went to the doctor and got a CT scan for it and nothing was wrong it amazing. Nobody could explain it and I’ve asked 3 doctors all with that crazy look they give.
Read this thread. You obviously haven't done so.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: decafjava

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
My neck plays a John Phillip Sousa tune, but slightly out of key. Advice? Pitch pipe maybe?

Walter Herrera S

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
WOW I made an account just so I could reply! I have this too! Usually happens when I wake up in the morning, (when I am about to sleep as well. I assume I am more prone to hearing this morning and night because there is less noise at those times) anyhow my stomach will growl and next thing I hear is these sizzling noise. I can feel and hear it coming from between my throat skull and spine. Like right in the middle... I am currently 25 and started hearing this when I was 19. I used to hold my sneezes very often (I don't do this anymore since it's very bad) and I was afraid maybe I had messed up something inside due to that... as of today I was always trying to ignore it and not research about it. I was really scared I was going to find very upsetting information or worse find out I was going to die. Just wanted to share my experience on that... maybe is just spinal fluid not flowing very smoothly? Lol

Drunkadvisor

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2019
Thanks, I started replying because people seemed genuinely worried that something was amiss with them and this was relatively simple. Now I think this thread is more of a cathartic "I'm really sick and i need to vent about it" place for people to feel they are not crazy, than a real "help me I really want to know what is happening to me" place.
Thank you so much for your replies. Possibly the best answers I've read when researching this topic. It makes a lot of sense and I feel a little better about it. Unfortunately though the Chiari malformation comment made me a little uneasy but, from what I read those symptoms are way more serious and the only other symptom I have with this neck sound is my stomach growling or grumbling. Sometimes with a pang of hunger or an empty stomach feeling if I'm really anxious.
It is currently 5am and I should be getting sleep but, this was something that I have been obsessed about for weeks now. I'm glad I found this thread. I hope others actually read the replies and comments and feel a little relief knowing it isn't a serious problem. Just the body doing what it does

Ms. Berlowitz

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2019
OMG, I'm not the only one! Since childhood I talk about this sizzling (or sand pouring sound, as I used to explain) and NOBODY KNOWS WHAT I MEAN! And, yes, I have also already noticed it happens when I'm really hungry... So? Have anybody discovered anything about it?

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
Wow. I have this too and may have even posted here years ago about it. I realize I only get it when I am hungry and my stomach should be rumbling. But my stomach does not audibly gurgle but I feel pressure in my lower chest. I think it is just air rushing out of the mostly closed upper esophageal sphincter and causing a gurgling or bubbling sound in the back of the throat from the saliva already there. I think it's actually audible too if people were to listen closely. I bet most of us have a cough or heart burn from time to time as well which supports the esophagus issue. I stopped worrying about this 10 years ago haha.

Siara Sophia-ann Morrison

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2020

It is Tinnitus is the medical term for "hearing" noises in your ears. It occurs when there is no outside source of the sounds.
Tinnitus is often called "ringing in the ears." It may also sound like blowing, roaring, buzzing, hissing, humming, whistling, or sizzling. The noises heard can be soft or loud. The person may even think they're hearing air escaping, water running, the inside of a seashell, musical notes, or sizzling

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
It is Tinnitus is the medical term for "hearing" noises in your ears. It occurs when there is no outside source of the sounds.
Tinnitus is often called "ringing in the ears." It may also sound like blowing, roaring, buzzing, hissing, humming, whistling, or sizzling. The noises heard can be soft or loud. The person may even think they're hearing air escaping, water running, the inside of a seashell, musical notes, or sizzling
As a tinnitus sufferer, it’s not tinnitus. It’s a sound from the throat other people can hear.

Desi007

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2020
I have this too. I honestly don't believe it is what

I have this as well

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Anyone have a name for this condition?
This thread is over 10 years old and still no prognosis (that I’ve seen, might have missed it), interesting. I did another search on “sizzling sound in neck” and see no diagnosis other than comments coming from tinnitus related forums associating it possibly with tinnitus. I have tinnitus which appears to originate from the vicinity of my ears, but when I turn my head back and forth there is a distinct crinkle noise, that sounds like it is coming from the base of my skull, but it corresponds to movement, it does not happen when my head is stationary, unlike my continuous tinnitus buzz.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
Anyone have a name for this condition?
It's not a condition. At least not in the strict sense where is synonym with "disease". It is just one of many noises the human body makes as it functions, and you hear it when your brain is not busy with something else.

Try reading at least the last few pages on this thread.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
Also it's not a Chiari malformation. I had an MRI of my brain several years ago for an unrelated issue, and I do not have a Chiari (or anything wrong).

SpiderNeckS3nsation

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2020
I want to inform you all that of course, you're wrong. It is definitely spiders in your neck carrying protein to your brain. I am vegan. I have no protein. The spiders are confused and scared. What will they do now, Also causing ocular pressure. RIP everyone
[automerge]1580906156[/automerge]
I want to inform you all that of course, you're wrong. It is definitely spiders in your neck carrying protein to your brain. I am vegan. I have no protein. The spiders are confused and scared. What will they do now, Also causing ocular pressure. RIP everyone
I pray our lord and savior cd castillo will reply to this comment with tired rage as he has chosen others. Arachnids bless ?

Sharif Mansour

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2020
Castillo, perhaps people are ignoring you because you're wrong. You insist that drinking anything, such as water, will fix the problem. It doesn't. I just had this after drinking a 16oz glass of water, so nice try, but you're lying to people. Most people are reporting that it happens when they're hungry, but if it still happens after drinking water, it has to do with the hunger rather than an empty or gas-filled stomach. Also, I can tell you that the sound can happen without the hunger. So, nice try, but if you want people to listen to you, you're going to need a better explanation.
Also, I think we know that the sound doesn't indicate anything dangerous if we report having this all our lives. We just want to know what it actually is rather than believe an internet stranger's swamp gas theory.

Reactions: jagolden
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.