Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
D'oh, I think I have that set too high.

Bethesda's scaling has always been a bit wacky. Even on very easy to normal settings. Seen it over years. even FO4 can have it. In one save Preston in FO4 sent me to place I should not have been since almost all ferals had skulls next to name (sign of OP NPC's for non players) . was like my 3rd mission from him. Low level, just starting....really preston?

And now the punchline...I had this set for easy if not very easy. Was supposed to be my rush though for stuff I haven't seen. Autoscaler and/or RNG gods must have hated me that day. Won....left banged the hell up for sure though.

It tends to magnify on harder settings when their implementation is, imo, weaksause boost NPC EHP/resists, drop your effective damage, etc. they resolved this in FO4 survival mode pretty decent I think. Enemies aren't bigger bullet sponges like very hard level. Neither are you.

Skyrim SE didn't get this feature it seems talking with a buddy (I have the game bought, just wrapping up some loose ends in FO4 now).

Haven't checked but modding community usually fixes this up nice. Maybe check the balance ones? Assuming not a completionist type who wants achievements ofc.

I have tried that...I like my mods too much. To each their own there.

Seed101

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
...I never finished Skyrim on the 'ex'-box and am still ploughing through Fallout 4, however Skyrim SE is £22 on the PS4 store...tempted or resist?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It's something I find hit or miss in Skyrim but the metric I use is Dragon Priest are almost impossible to beat

I'm not there yet, but I unable to beat any novice Necromancers at Fort Kastav. No matter what strategy I used, I could not over come them.

I'm happy that I've gotten beyond that point :)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
...I never finished Skyrim on the 'ex'-box and am still ploughing through Fallout 4, however Skyrim SE is £22 on the PS4 store...tempted or resist?

I paid 60 usd. I think that's a pretty good deal. Only if it's a game that interest you though.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan

Not sure if a factor for you but iirc nothing has changed from FO4 to this. So Sony's stance against external resource use in mods stills stands as far as I know. means like FO4...you may not get some nice modding options. For once Xbone has a leg up on sony for something. Hollow victory though...I truly do feel bad for the PS4 peeps who miss out on some tasty mods because sony are being asshats about this. Be nice if we all could enjoy these tbh.

That be on you to decide. I did skyrim on PC long ago...like all bethesda games its the modding community that has the game truly kick some ass imo.

Like a poster above has a bugged quest. There is an unofficial patch mod that could fix this. In the many years of bethesda play on PC....some of these unofficial bug fix mods are god sends really.

Already gave up achievement hunting before I even fire Skyrim SE (M$ had a nice Black friday weekend sale...got it cheap, will enjoy later lol) when I wrap up FO4 for the moment. Mod stack day 1, save one already being researched lol.

Your mileage may vary of course your dime and your time, spend both as suits your needs and wants I always say.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm not there yet, but I unable to beat any novice Necromancers at Fort Kastav. No matter what strategy I used, I could not over come them.

I'm happy that I've gotten beyond that point :)

Definitely too high of a difficulty. The enemies (and armor and weapons) level with you. Make sure your armor, weapons and spells are better then theirs are.

Also magic users like that are generally weak to physical attacks (since they are wearing robes) so use a companion like Lydia or hire a merc. Make sure their equipment is good too, the longer they last in battle the better.

With nercomancers go right for them not their reanimated corpses. Once they die so will the creatures they reanimated.
[doublepost=1481203366][/doublepost]
Not to mention a Skyrim follower/companion makes a great pack mule ;)

"I am sworn to carry your burdens."

Just be careful what you give them. I seem to remember Lydia dual wielding staffs (staves?) when I just wanted her to hold onto them. Lol

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Just be careful what you give them. I seem to remember Lydia dual wielding staffs (staves?) when I just wanted her to hold onto them. Lol

I'd also be wary of giving them anything unique/special. Some interesting bethesda bugs i have seen and/or heard about is you give them some shiny special gear they may not let it go. Recall reports worst case item just vanishes in some way.

Seed101

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
I paid 60 usd. I think that's a pretty good deal. Only if it's a game that interest you though.

Yep, sure is tempting...I loved the game on x-box 360 and wandered around a fair bit, completing quest's at a leisurely pace....just pondering on whether to 'jump back in' or move on...

Not sure if a factor for you but iirc nothing has changed from FO4 to this. So Sony's stance against external resource use in mods stills stands as far as I know. means like FO4...you may not get some nice modding options. For once Xbone has a leg up on sony for something. Hollow victory though...I truly do feel bad for the PS4 peeps who miss out on some tasty mods because sony are being asshats about this. Be nice if we all could enjoy these tbh.

That be on you to decide. I did skyrim on PC long ago...like all bethesda games its the modding community that has the game truly kick some ass imo.

Like a poster above has a bugged quest. There is an unofficial patch mod that could fix this. In the many years of bethesda play on PC....some of these unofficial bug fix mods are god sends really.

Already gave up achievement hunting before I even fire Skyrim SE (M$ had a nice Black friday weekend sale...got it cheap, will enjoy later lol) when I wrap up FO4 for the moment. Mod stack day 1, save one already being researched lol.

Your mileage may vary of course your dime and your time, spend both as suits your needs and wants I always say.

Thanks for the heads-up re:mods.
Had a quick Google and it seem's like Sony are allowing some of the more minor stuff...not such a biggie for me but would be a very 'have' that would bring added value to the purchase...maybe they'll allow more stuff as time roll's on?

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Thanks for the heads-up re:mods.
Had a quick Google and it seem's like Sony are allowing some of the more minor stuff...not such a biggie for me but would be a very 'have' that would bring added value to the purchase...maybe they'll allow more stuff as time roll's on?

basically. Sony is not allowing externally sourced files. Which basically is what most mods with decent cosmetic changes are. textures, models, etc. A Weapons modder will make the new shiny weapon in 3d application of choice, texture/skin made in graphics app of choice to apply to it and this is what gets wrapped up in the .esp.

May change, they have to be getting some negative feedback from it. I can see sony being gun shy about hacking but...there is a difference between network account hacks and game "hacking". I don't know of a way to payload credit card info stealing code into a 3d model lol.

Reactions: Seed101

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
I'm really enjoying my stealth archer assassin.

I love shooting arrows off to the right of someone to draw them out and away from me and then drill an arrow through the back of their head. Getting the soul steal (or whatever the spell is called) enchantment onto my bow is a godsend. Only problem being is I end up with petty souls in greater gems.

I wonder if there is a mod that alters how the gems will fill. I'll have to check for that next time I get into the game.

For the mods I have grabbed the unofficial patch, one that makes commoners not annoy me every second with chatter, ,one that sets appropriate levels for items (chests actually have stuff usable for my level),a hunting one that changes the weights of skins, and a smithing one that will level the skill when smelting ore or making leather.

I did download Ordinator (re-done and more in depth skill tree) but scrapped it since it offered almost nothing for my stealth assassin play style.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
basically. Sony is not allowing externally sourced files. Which basically is what most mods with decent cosmetic changes are. textures, models, etc. A Weapons modder will make the new shiny weapon in 3d application of choice, texture/skin made in graphics app of choice to apply to it and this is what gets wrapped up in the .esp.

May change, they have to be getting some negative feedback from it. I can see sony being gun shy about hacking but...there is a difference between network account hacks and game "hacking". I don't know of a way to payload credit card info stealing code into a 3d model lol.

I doubt we'll see a change considering such a large portion of mods are borderline sex mods (or just actual sex mods). And who regulates that in the end? If I made a mod that specifically made women more "curvy" what that be considered an inappropriate mod? It would be Sonys responsibility to moderate that.

However if you can only use in game assets then it's the games dev responsibility.

Depending on how MS conducts this once (if) they are ever put under fire will likely be the way Sony handles it.

I don't use mods because I love hunting trophies and modding disables those. But I would LOVE to have the unofficial patch for Skyrim just so the game actually works right! Lol

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've been playing with the mods and wow, they're much better than I expected! I've got some to enhance the world, like dark nights, "more" weather, fog, torches, signposts... they all really add to it. It's a shame they disable trophies but I'm enjoying the game much more like this.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I've been playing with the mods and wow, they're much better than I expected! I've got some to enhance the world, like dark nights, "more" weather, fog, torches, signposts... they all really add to it. It's a shame they disable trophies but I'm enjoying the game much more like this.

Xbox, PS4 or PC?

I'm jealous but I'm such a trophy snob. That adds a lot to the game for me.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Xbox, PS4 or PC?

I'm jealous but I'm such a trophy snob. That adds a lot to the game for me.
PS4. I always thought those mods were huge, game changing things, but I really like these little change ones. I did have to balance up if I wanted trophies or not but I just thought there's no chance of me ever getting a Platinum trophy on this - or perhaps any! I might just spend the game wandering around doing nothing :) but that's just how I play.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I was so tempted earlier yesterday to restart with a different race because I think I should have chosen either a Nord, I've basically use a war hammer or a bow and the Nord starts off with better two handed combat, or a race that has a high sneak count. I've gotten my sneak value over 80 so I think I'm ok and my two handed combat is decent. I'm not very far into the game, but I don't want to spend hours upon hours re-doing what I just did.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I was so tempted earlier yesterday to restart with a different race because I think I should have chosen either a Nord, I've basically use a war hammer or a bow and the Nord starts off with better two handed combat, or a race that has a high sneak count. I've gotten my sneak value over 80 so I think I'm ok and my two handed combat is decent. I'm not very far into the game, but I don't want to spend hours upon hours re-doing what I just did.

My first run through was as a Wood Elf..weak in combat, but great at stealth and a bow!

Now this time, I'm playing as a Nord, with two-handed combat (but still light armor). I've found it is always easy (for me) to rapidly level up my stealth just by sneaking everywhere...so it doesn't seem worth it to get a race for that.

I forgot that the Nord is "immune" (not totally) to cold...man, those ice spells/attacks use to drain my previous characters!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Keep in mind it's like Fallout so there are plenty of missions you haven't done that you can do with another character and you can do the missions differently like pick the stormcloaks instead of the imperials (or vise versa), etc. Restarting doesn't need to feel like all your previous work was lost....think of it like training.

I finally passed the initial difficulty hump I was struggling with now that my destruction, enchanting and conjugation is above 60 and my smithing is around 40 or so. My flame spells, especially the fireball are a force to be reckoned with. Bad thing with the fireball though is the explosion will send objects flying including quest items. I'm also using food, potions and scrolls more effectively, usually I tend to horde these items and never use them.

I'm loving the battlemage character I'm building too. There are so many ways to approach a quest. There is just something so satisfying for me to have my follower, her reanimated corpse and my conjured creature fighting while I stand back and read a book. Lol
[doublepost=1481404570][/doublepost]
PS4. I always thought those mods were huge, game changing things, but I really like these little change ones. I did have to balance up if I wanted trophies or not but I just thought there's no chance of me ever getting a Platinum trophy on this - or perhaps any! I might just spend the game wandering around doing nothing :) but that's just how I play.

I didn't even realize half of that stuff was available for PS4.

I think Fallout and Skyrim both have some of the most realistically obtainable trophies. Picking locks and pockets, beating main quests, cooking food, getting married, adopting children etc etc. The only one that might be tough for me is collecting the dedric artifacts. Since I don't really know what they are I'll probably need a guide for help.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
I doubt we'll see a change considering such a large portion of mods are borderline sex mods (or just actual sex mods). And who regulates that in the end? If I made a mod that specifically made women more "curvy" what that be considered an inappropriate mod? It would be Sonys responsibility to moderate that.

However if you can only use in game assets then it's the games dev responsibility.

Depending on how MS conducts this once (if) they are ever put under fire will likely be the way Sony handles it.

I don't use mods because I love hunting trophies and modding disables those. But I would LOVE to have the unofficial patch for Skyrim just so the game actually works right! Lol

They could do what M$ does and have some censorship on the mods. M$ does not allow a lot of the racier mods out there. A lot of that the stuff from nexus (main pc repo for mods really) doesn't make it over.

Little bit of regulation a lot of us don't mind. In my case in FO4 it gets me the colt 1911 as an example. Why it was not put in stock no clue, but this always a mod I run to fix that oversight.

I get this, and the skar, and the barrett...I don't go on constitutional crusades on freedom of speech and expression for the pervs out there. M$ can and does say nope and I say thats all good.

Also what I'd recommend as a caveat is 2 games. One modded, one unmodded. Let the modded game find the bugs, see if you can find resolution to them without "cheats". Worst case...you have the cheat or unofficial patch options to see if you can get by them and move to see game process.

Yes more game time this way lol. I rack up tons of hours in these games so all good, other mileage may vary.. Like me...I may have to go modded for Skyrims. hot and cold mods (iirc what they are called). They introduce hunger and thirst and stuff like that. You don't eat, drink some water....bad things happen over time. Adds some immersion and reality I like.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I bought it for both Xbox One S and PS4 Pro.

With the two big graphical overhaul mods on the Xbox One S version (not available on PS4) the xbox one version looks much prettier despite the PS4 Pro 4k mode.

Reactions: cynics

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I bought it for both Xbox One S and PS4 Pro.

With the two big graphical overhaul mods on the Xbox One S version (not available on PS4) the xbox one version looks much prettier despite the PS4 Pro 4k mode.

Mind taking some comparison screen shots?

I always felt better textures and alpha effects made a bigger difference than resolution. I'd be curious to see that difference.

How does it affect frame rate too?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Mind taking some comparison screen shots?

I always felt better textures and alpha effects made a bigger difference than resolution. I'd be curious to see that difference.

How does it affect frame rate too?

Frame rate is about the same - 30 fps on either platform.

Not sure how to do screenshots other than take a photo of the TV (or can i do that from the share feature on either device). I'll see what I can do later.

The graphic overhaul patches replace textures like walls and such and just look far more natural.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm currently doing the dawnguard quest. I'm unsure if I want to side with the dawnguard or the vampires. Googling it seems to indicate that you get some cool, upgradeable equipment on the dawnguard side, but the vampire side seems to give you more power. I'm not sure how progressing through the main quest as a vampire will work. I'll probably save the game before I make the decision and then play it as a vampire for a while see how that works.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm currently doing the dawnguard quest. I'm unsure if I want to side with the dawnguard or the vampires. Googling it seems to indicate that you get some cool, upgradeable equipment on the dawnguard side, but the vampire side seems to give you more power. I'm not sure how progressing through the main quest as a vampire will work. I'll probably save the game before I make the decision and then play it as a vampire for a while see how that works.

If you goto the Aela with the companions you can become a werewolf which will cure your vampirism. If you goto Serana you can become a vampire again and cure your werewolf...ism. And you can cure both to lose both, back and forth whichever.

I was a vampire, then became a vampire lord (dawn guard) and while the perks are good I didn't like the stat hit when in the sun so I became a werewolf which doesn't really have any problems when you arent in beast form. For low levels especially I find the Vampire Lord form to be very powerful when fighting tough enemies.

Regardless I wouldn't worry too much about it because if you don't like it you can fix it later on.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I was a vampire, then became a vampire lord (dawn guard)
I'm doing the dawnguard and I think I get crossbow improvements if I don't go as a vampire, though I dig the red eyes. :D

The -50% fire protection is probably too big for me to accept as a vampire lord. Fighting the dragons, I'll not last long as the blast you with fire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.