Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
No, I don't use those apps either. Just wondering if a clean OS install might fix the problem rather than the re-install of macOS I did at the weekend? I don't really have time for that so might just have to wait it out.
[doublepost=1523350434][/doublepost]https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8339580

Seems like it's a bug/known issue with FileVault according to this KB article. No fix available - yet.

I can confirm that disabling FileVault fixes the issue. Obviously this is not an ideal solution. I thought I'd try installing the 10.13.4 patch again and try to re-encrypt my Fusion drive to see if it resolves itself. 2/3 hours to go until the drive has encrypted and another few hours before I'll know if the problem has gone or not.

Reactions: Scorned

dvmierlo

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2018
Hi all.

Does anyone else have a Mac that crashes often when in sleep mode? My iMac crashes about 2 times per day while in sleep mode, now.

My iMac is updated to macOS 10.13.4, but the problem has existed for at least 1 previous version of macOS. The crash report lists this -- Event: Sleep Wake Failure.

I talked to Apple phone support -- no help unfortunately. Apple told me to try disabling the "Put hard disk to sleep when possible" feature, but that did not fix the issue. I report every crash to Apple; seems to fall on deaf ears in Cupertino.

I can post the crash logs if they do not contain any sensitive data.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thank you!

I also have the same problem. It started after updating my MacBook Pro 17" (mid 2010) to 10.13.4. I does not matter if my second screen is connected or not. I does not matter if the power cord is connected or not. My mac is always connected to the power so the battery is always full. FileVault is not enabled (I saw some reply's saying that disabling this option solved this issue). Resetting SMC and PRAM also has not a positive result.

Since the update to 10.13.4 my Magic Trackpad 2 started stuttering when using it wireless. When my trackpad is wired, it works fine. But that's not why I spend a lot of money on that device :-(

I was planning to reinstall my OS but I have read that other users have done that without succes.

For now I have configured my mac Computer Sleep time to "Never" in the Energy Saver settings. That means that I have to shut down my mac every time I'm not using it. I hope Apple fixes this issue soon.

butcherbird

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2014
Well, this time I was escalated to a higher level of support. Like you, I told him that I see it as a bug in macOS. Being an Apple guy, he thinks it may be caused by someone else's software. Haha.

Anyway, we did a few things today.
- cmd + opt + P + R at boot up
- removed Sophos Home
- removed Malwarebytes
- removed Mail and iTunes Helper from startup
- he identified a few things to do in the next step, if necessary

Well, surprisingly, it appears that something done, in my list quoted above, has corrected the issue in my case. This iMac has not had the Sleep Wake Failure once (so far). I'm giving it one more night in sleep mode before I tell Apple Support tomorrow. Then, I'll need to re-install each item to see which is causing the problem.

Last edited:

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
I can confirm that disabling FileVault fixes the issue. Obviously this is not an ideal solution. I thought I'd try installing the 10.13.4 patch again and try to re-encrypt my Fusion drive to see if it resolves itself. 2/3 hours to go until the drive has encrypted and another few hours before I'll know if the problem has gone or not.

Yeah, turning off FileVault has fixed it for me too.

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK

I was wondering if you had any luck with this?

Gogol

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2013
The Netherlands
Disabling Filevault is a solution, but if you are worried about security you also can disable standby and autopoweroff and leave Filevault active.
Your Mac won't hibernate then.
Code:
sudo pmset -a standby 0 autopoweroff 0

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
Disabling Filevault is a solution, but if you are worried about security you also can disable standby and autopoweroff and leave Filevault active.
Your Mac won't hibernate then.
Code:
sudo pmset -a standby 0 autopoweroff 0

Good advice.

Is that different from setting, "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off"? in Energy Saver Prefs.

Gogol

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2013
The Netherlands
I don't think so, I never used that option. The computer goes to sleep but doesn't write a sleepimage to the disk after the timers expire. The manpage of pmset should give you enough information about all options.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
I don't have Filevault on and I can't get my Mac to sleep... As soon as the screen shuts off, it's right back on... The external disk drive mounts/unmounts continuously. Brutal.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I was wondering if you had any luck with this?

When I re-encrypted the drive, the same error started to occur. So the only 'workaround' at the moment is to completely disable FileVault, which I am not happy about.

I am not convinced Apple will fix it in the next update so I won't get my hopes up. For something as simple as this they should be able to issue a patch. I guess it needs more of us to make a noise. Maybe MacRumors could pick this issue up and put it on their front page to get some coverage?

The only thing I haven't tried is to do a clean-install of macOS on my iMac but I just don't have the time available to do that.

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
When I re-encrypted the drive, the same error started to occur. So the only 'workaround' at the moment is to completely disable FileVault, which I am not happy about.

I am not convinced Apple will fix it in the next update so I won't get my hopes up. For something as simple as this they should be able to issue a patch. I guess it needs more of us to make a noise. Maybe MacRumors could pick this issue up and put it on their front page to get some coverage?

The only thing I haven't tried is to do a clean-install of macOS on my iMac but I just don't have the time available to do that.

Thanks for replying. It's really frustrating isn't it, either have a secure machine that crashes or an insecure one that doesn't. I've reported it to Apple too, through the Feedback app. But like you I'm not getting my hopes up.

Phnwhowhen

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2017

The 10.13.5 beta appears to fix this problem. I haven't had a chance to try myself but reports from the Apple support thread linked on the first page has some responses indicating as such.

I simply reverted to 10.13.3 and am waiting until 10.13.5 is released because disabling File Vault is an unacceptable workaround in my books.

There are three stages of Mac sleep: sleep, standby/auto-off, and hibernate. They're a little muddy to explain, but on Mac notebooks, standby kicks in after 3 hours by default and auto-off after 6 hours. The default on Mac notebooks is also to have "safe sleep" enabled. This is basically hibernation mode=3 in pmset. RAM remains powered for 3-6 hours but backs up the RAM to the disk just in case the power dies in those 3/6 hours, then goes into the lower power state and relies on the hibernate image to resume.

Basic sleep still works in 10.13.4 and File Vault. Disabling standby and auto-off (they're basically the same thing) prevents the writing of the hibernation image to the disk, which is there in case the power to the RAM gets cut for some reason. With the default behavior for sleep, the Mac will cut power to the RAM after 3/6 hours to save battery and rely on the saved hibernation image to resume. This behavior is broken in 10.13.4 with File Vault enabled.

So, you can still do basic sleep with 10.13.4 + File Vault, but after three or six hours your Mac will crash unless you disable standby and auto-off. On Mac desktops, the default sleep behavior is to not save a hibernation image at all since there is no battery (hibernation mode =0 I think), so I have no issues with waking from sleep on my iMac on 10.13.4 + File Vault.

afriedl

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
I had the same problem after updating to 10.13.4 on my iMac (FileVault enabled)
did several tests:
- Updating to 10.13.5 (Beta2) did not solve the problem for me - same issue as before
- Clean Install of 10.13.4 (via Internet Recovery) and active FileVault same issues! (there was no 3rd Party SW installed at that time, just macOS
- Restored to 10.13.4 (with disabled FileVault): works (but no Encryption)

I really hope Apple will fix this Issue in 10.13.5 final!

annexstar

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2018
Longyearbyen
H
I have this exact same issue! It only started a few days ago on my late 2012 iMac with fusion drive. I've tried troubleshooting with no luck, so I am going to reinstall macOS to see if that fixes it. If it doesn't then it's obviously a software issue/bug with the latest 10.13.4 update.
[doublepost=1523091679][/doublepost]

As I said above, I have this same issue. I am going to reinstall macOS and will report back.

Hey people, I have had the same problem since 2014 with different MacBook Pros . This screenshot is my latest machine. info. I´think I have a virus or a spy program who's following my backups thru the library IPHOTO(iCloud) or Google picks. I have deleted an reinstalled my last 3 devices and it keeps coming back. I also have some other symptoms of being hacked. I use VPN, virus scans, different security programs, but no solutions...What To do ?

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2018-04-26 kl. 22.59.09.png
    Skjermbilde 2018-04-26 kl. 22.59.09.png
    265.5 KB · Views: 396
  • Skjermbilde 2018-04-26 kl. 22.59.09.png
    Skjermbilde 2018-04-26 kl. 22.59.09.png
    265.5 KB · Views: 367
Last edited by a moderator:

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
The 10.13.5 beta appears to fix this problem. I haven't had a chance to try myself but reports from the Apple support thread linked on the first page has some responses indicating as such.

I simply reverted to 10.13.3 and am waiting until 10.13.5 is released because disabling File Vault is an unacceptable workaround in my books.

There are three stages of Mac sleep: sleep, standby/auto-off, and hibernate. They're a little muddy to explain, but on Mac notebooks, standby kicks in after 3 hours by default and auto-off after 6 hours. The default on Mac notebooks is also to have "safe sleep" enabled. This is basically hibernation mode=3 in pmset. RAM remains powered for 3-6 hours but backs up the RAM to the disk just in case the power dies in those 3/6 hours, then goes into the lower power state and relies on the hibernate image to resume.

Basic sleep still works in 10.13.4 and File Vault. Disabling standby and auto-off (they're basically the same thing) prevents the writing of the hibernation image to the disk, which is there in case the power to the RAM gets cut for some reason. With the default behavior for sleep, the Mac will cut power to the RAM after 3/6 hours to save battery and rely on the saved hibernation image to resume. This behavior is broken in 10.13.4 with File Vault enabled.

So, you can still do basic sleep with 10.13.4 + File Vault, but after three or six hours your Mac will crash unless you disable standby and auto-off. On Mac desktops, the default sleep behavior is to not save a hibernation image at all since there is no battery (hibernation mode =0 I think), so I have no issues with waking from sleep on my iMac on 10.13.4 + File Vault.

I can confirm this. I've re-enabled FileVault on my iMac with fusion drive and set both sleep and autoshutdown values to 0, it no longer crashes after sleeping for a few hours. I note you said you never had a problem with your iMac as it's default hibernation mode is 0, I'm wondering if the fact mine is an EU sourced one is the difference here. According to the man page for pmset, EU law mandates more severe default power saving measures - sleep and autoshutdown both did default to 1 on mine even with hibernate set to 0.

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
I'm getting this on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) and I've never used FileVault, so it's not that. It happened after the update to 10.13.4 - I think. I can't remember this happening before then. I've tried every combination of which-way-what (Energy Saver settings, etc) but nothing cures it. Even tried clean install, but the problem persists. Close the lid, odds on, later on in the day or next morning, it's rebooted with the "send to Apple" guff. It's like there seems absolutely nothing I can do. Just hoping that 10.13.5 might do something, but my iMac has same OS version and never shows it. How can that be?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I'm getting this on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) and I've never used FileVault, so it's not that. It happened after the update to 10.13.4 - I think. I can't remember this happening before then. I've tried every combination of which-way-what (Energy Saver settings, etc) but nothing cures it. Even tried clean install, but the problem persists. Close the lid, odds on, later on in the day or next morning, it's rebooted with the "send to Apple" guff. It's like there seems absolutely nothing I can do. Just hoping that 10.13.5 might do something, but my iMac has same OS version and never shows it. How can that be?

The issue only affects my iMac but my MacBook Pro & Air are fine. Just have to hope it was a shoddy release from Apple (again!) and that it's fixed in the next update.

What worries me is that this was in test for a long period of time (like iOS 11.3) and both releases have been horrible! I have never had so many crashes, freezes & unexplainable issues like I have with the latest software releases.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Ok, so it seems I am not alone here. I used to have this issue maybe once every few 4, 5 months. This has now happened twice in 5 days. I'm running 10.11.6, El Capitan on a 2012 iMac.

I did a Apple Security update maybe a few weeks ago when it came out (I forgot the darn date). The restart for that took an awful long time, I almost thought the update messed up things up.

The only thing that changed on the Mac before this latest "Sleep Wake Fail" last might was I installed some software, drivers install for my new Canon printer.

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
The issue only affects my iMac but my MacBook Pro & Air are fine. Just have to hope it was a shoddy release from Apple (again!) and that it's fixed in the next update.

What worries me is that this was in test for a long period of time (like iOS 11.3) and both releases have been horrible! I have never had so many crashes, freezes & unexplainable issues like I have with the latest software releases.

I guess we are talking about the same issue that's going on here ? Anyone tried removing the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext ?

braddoell

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2018
No, I don’t have either of those.
[doublepost=1527453044][/doublepost]
Moving the .plist files is on the Support rep's list of NEXT things to do tomorrow, if necessary. I'll wait til then.

Any chance the rest of you, with this issue, were using Sophos Home anti-virus or Malwarebytes (free edition), too?
Hi - same problem here - MacBook Air 2017. I am also running Sophos home, and come to think of it, there was an option to try out the Sophos premium trial a while back - am trying to recall if that correlated with my sleep\wake problems. Unrelated to Sophos = I went to the apple store, they suggested turning off "power nap" (did not fix problem.)

wubbzy

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2008
Same problem here, but I'm not using FileVault.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) running macOS 10.13.4

I have "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" unchecked. Tonight I'll try turning off Bluetooth altogether.

dean lug

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2018
Same problem here.
iMac 21,5 inch, Late 2012 1TB Hard Drive macOS 10.13.4

Hope it'll be fixed with macOS Mojave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.