Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinl24

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2020
I just got this error today. I was trying to connect to my Home Sharing iMac and couldn't connect. When I checked the iMac it was rebooted and waiting for my login. It gave me a crash alert to send to Apple. Sleep Wake Failure in EFI

"
Sleep Wake failure in EFI

Failure code:: 0xffffffff 0x0000001f

Please IGNORE the below stackshot

================================================================
Date/Time: 2020-03-12 08:50:56 -0700
OS Version: ??? ??? (Build ???)
Architecture: x86_64
Report Version: 29

Data Source: Stackshots
Shared Cache: 0xb08c000 FB41C1A8-0868-3ACA-8CAF-196308940B0C

Event: Sleep Wake Failure
Duration: 0.00s
Steps: 1

Time Awake Since Boot: 13s

I had almost the same report as this today morning. Except that mine was on a MacBook Air(Mid 2019).

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
I had almost the same report as this today morning. Except that mine was on a MacBook Air(Mid 2019).

It must have been a one off thing. It hasn't happened since my post, everything is running normally as before.

gerris

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2017
I have been having this same problem of crashes when my late 2013 iMac is in sleep mode. I am running High Sierra 10.13.6 (upgrading from Sierra made no difference). The only thing I have found that makes it stop is using the energy saver system preference to disable "put hard drives to sleep when possible". Is this bad for my computer or just my electric bill?

mohnish

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2020
Hi all.

Does anyone else have a Mac that crashes often when in sleep mode? My iMac crashes about 2 times per day while in sleep mode, now.

My iMac is updated to macOS 10.13.4, but the problem has existed for at least 1 previous version of macOS. The crash report lists this -- Event: Sleep Wake Failure.

I talked to Apple phone support -- no help unfortunately. Apple told me to try disabling the "Put hard disk to sleep when possible" feature, but that did not fix the issue. I report every crash to Apple; seems to fall on deaf ears in Cupertino.

I can post the crash logs if they do not contain any sensitive data.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thank you!

Well I am sure m pretty late in commenting here. I had similar issue in my 2017 Macbook Air. after a lot of hit and trial i managed to fix it. You have you erase your macintosh HD and reinstall MacOS. However, you need to ensure that you are ensuring the you are clicking "Erase volume group" while erasing the disk. I hope this works for others. Good Luck!!

LynG

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2020
Similar problems here since beginning of September 20. iMac 27”. Bought at 2016. MacOS 10.15.7. Kernel panic, crashes during sleep/use safari/turn on the computer and nearly everyday. Checked with 2 of Apple providers. Both said no software and hardware issues...

Attachments

• FFB6CC37-BF32-4400-AEE9-D9F863A56F8D.jpeg
    FFB6CC37-BF32-4400-AEE9-D9F863A56F8D.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 522
  • B457BC84-FF59-474D-A54C-8ABCC626BF93.jpeg
    B457BC84-FF59-474D-A54C-8ABCC626BF93.jpeg
    418.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 7E61056B-B638-44E8-B6D6-9B0E3A240575.jpeg
    7E61056B-B638-44E8-B6D6-9B0E3A240575.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 260

gooeymac

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2015
Thanks for replying. It's really frustrating isn't it, either have a secure machine that crashes or an insecure one that doesn't. I've reported it to Apple too, through the Feedback app. But like you I'm not getting my hopes up.
BTW, a small update to the issue, I ran into this thread because my 2011 iMac was restarting a lot during sleep. Encryption was not on, but I did a reset on it by encrypting my Drive, then the next day I disabled it. Along with this problem, I may have found another issue gets fixed to: my Target Screen mode would not work, and it is currently working after apply encryption then turning it off.

Will keep my fingers crossed, I get to keep using this old workhorse like it's brand new.

Yue's

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2021
Still got the same problem in 2021. (Macbook pro 2018) Checked in store but the staff cannot find any problem.
Sad news that this bug is not fixed after 3 years. The problem even linked to my touch bar a few days later. I guess shutting down and restarting a lot damaged it. So the staff recommended me to change a new mainboard and new touch bar...why don't I use the same amount of money to buy a new one?!

computer1up

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2018
While I know this is a bit of an older thread, I thought I'd share some progress I'm making with my case of this problem. (2015 15" rMBP bone stock with iGPU only).

Good troubleshooting starts with being able to consistently reproduce the issue. I fiddled a bit with the terminal utility "pmset" as others on the internet have done already. However, I made some different changes in order to make the issue happen constantly, so I'd be able to actually troubleshoot it in a timely fashion.

(THE FOLLOWING IS NOT A FIX, Please do NOT try this at home unless you know what you're doing!)
I set the following values:
sudo pmset standbydelayhigh 1
sudo pmset standbydelaylow 1
sudo pmset autopoweroffdelay 1
sudo pmset hibernatemode 25
(and now for the thing that actually did the trick: )
sudo pmset disksleep 1

What the above does is that it sets all the delays for hibernation etc. to 1 second. It sets hibernate mode to 25, which makes macOS always write an image of current system memory to disk, and sets it so that the disk will sleep after only one minute.

The first 4 changes make it so that it'll pretty much always write the hibernation image to disk as far as I'm aware. This seems to be working fine. However, once the disk goes to sleep. That's when the issues start. According to this KB article from OWC, ALL NVMe disks in macOS could be affected. So not just upgrades after the fact. This sentence comes from reddit user EddySmeddy: "The basic problem is that the NVMe drive wakes up slower from standby than the machine, and so for a split second, the machine thinks there's no drive, and crashes. That's why it happens when the machine sleeps, but generally not on start up. It's a timing issue."

This seems to add up with my findings so far. In case anyone else has already done the same as me, my apologies, I probably just hadn't read that yet :p

Using this method, I'm pretty consistently able to reproduce the issue.

No actual fix yet so far, but hey maybe we can get a step closer now :)

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Well I decided to just keep the iMac on 24/7 and just let the screen shut off. Doesn’t actually increase my electric bill so i just leave it on forever. ?

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Yeah I did all that good stuff. NVRAM, PRAM, SMC, Safe Boot, Reinstall Mac OS. I think its my hardware. iMac Late 2013 and I have an external SSD for Boot drive since the SATA drive has slowed down a bit. It doesn't use much energy and it sure makes HomeSharing a lot quicker since its always awake.

Kampy1

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2017
Los Angeles
Hey all... joining you here in the ranks of the frustrated...

The crash during sleep, reboot upon wake thing has been happening to my iMac (27" late 2014 5K, 1TB Fusion) for a while. But then it started failing to boot up sometimes too– I'd often get the "prohibitory symbol" screen instead of a fresh reboot. But usually it would finally work after a couple more tries.

But today it wouldn't boot after many attempts, so I tried the last resort– booting into internet recovery mode and completely erasing the main disk. Had to re-install back to Yosemite. While I was upgrading back up to Big Sur, I noticed my storage was now saying I only had 121 GB of Flash storage. The 1 TB "Fusion" was gone. I assumed that meant the optical disk part of the Fusion setup died?

Anyway, I was willing to live with that because now the iMac was consistently booting up fine again and I assumed my crashes were a thing of the past. But alas, when it goes into sleep mode, it ends up crashing upon wake again, like before. But at least it's rebooting again.

So I'm wondering if there's something during the "sleep" process that it's trying to do for the optical part of the Fusion drive that has since died, and that's what's causing the crash? Can I change anything to make this iMac forget that it ever had a Fusion drive, and make it operate as if it only has that 112 GB of flash storage?

wubbzy

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2008
But alas, when it goes into sleep mode, it ends up crashing upon wake again, like before.

FWIW... my problem went away after I replaced one of my RAM modules. It's been so long, I don't remember what even made me think to try replacing the RAM (I'd guess I read the suggestion somewhere), but it worked for me. Good luck! It's frustrating!

Reactions: Kampy1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.