Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I feel it’s more accurate than both Google’s G-Board & SwiftKey.

But what I love about SwiftKey is it’s memory of constantly used terms (& hashtags in Twitter) that appear in the Suggestion fields. Hopefully Apple’s new keyboard learns more as time goes on.

Miska82

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2014
I would love for it to support my native language which is Finnish. But no, it does support smaller languages and neighboring languages as well. (Sigh)

Reactions: ZEEN0j

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
I had It when I had an android a loooong time ago, so it’s cool to see it back, but I don’t think I’ll use it for the most part unless I’m in a situation where I have food in one hand and need to text. I don’t really miss it.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
I've been waiting for this for a long time, and it's the main reason why I installed iOS 13 as soon as it was available. But now I don't see it. It doesn't work by default, and I can see no option to activate it.
What am I missing? :confused:

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I've been waiting for this for a long time, and it's the main reason why I installed iOS 13 as soon as it was available. But now I don't see it. It doesn't work by default, and I can see no option to activate it.
What am I missing? :confused:
Something’s off, Vlad! Mine activated straight away with the swipes working as intended.

What are your keyboard settings? Mine is “English (Australia)”, & when I scroll down the settings screen, I see the Slide to type option (which was already enabled).

Maybe the English region of your keyboard doesn’t support it yet??

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
Indeed, it's a matter of language. If I install an English keyboard the setting appears. Apparently it's not available in my native language. :(
Well, in that case it seems I won't be ditching Swiftkey anytime soon.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Indeed, it's a matter of language. If I install an English keyboard the setting appears. Apparently it's not available in my native language. :(
Well, in that case it seems I won't be ditching Swiftkey anytime soon.

Bummer. I’m sure they’ll add it soon enough.

I was going to give it the thumbs up but that spelt xzaq1

?

I find it corrects itself on 2nd try mostly, which is better than G-Board imo.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
I wish it was available on the full sized keyboard on iPad.
Even a toggle button on the keyboard would suffice if necessary.

Edit: It is only available on the mini floating keyboard on iPad.

Last edited:

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Ffs, is it not available on iPad OS? I was really looking forward to this.
I just assumed it would be. Bummer if it’s not.

Then again, I’ve preferred to use Apple’s keyboard on the iPad over the swiping ones as it’s width makes swiping difficult. But the shrunk down keyboard in iPadOS would suit it....hope they include it...

Reactions: throAU

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Ffs, is it not available on iPad OS? I was really looking forward to this.
I just assumed it would be. Bummer if it’s not.

Then again, I’ve preferred to use Apple’s keyboard on the iPad over the swiping ones as it’s width makes swiping difficult. But the shrunk down keyboard in iPadOS would suit it....hope they include it...

It is available on iPad but only on the mini floating keyboard and not on the normal full sized keyboard.

295E9196-4EA7-44C8-ADDC-B94E0FCDC9C0.jpeg

I was disappointed that it wasn’t available on the full sized keyboard but atleast it is available. Hopefully in a future release it will be included with the full sized keyboard. Even a keyboard toggle button would suffice if Apple doesn’t want it on by default.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
It is available on iPad but only on the mini floating keyboard and not on the normal full sized keyboard.

View attachment 860572

I was disappointed that it wasn’t available on the full sized keyboard but atleast it is available. Hopefully in a future release it will be included with the full sized keyboard. Even a keyboard toggle button would suffice if Apple doesn’t want it on by default.
Perfect. Seems like Apple & I are on the same page in this regard.

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
I love it and prefer it to GBoard and Swiftkey. I tried them in the past but I always reverted back to the stock keyboard because I was faster two handed typing and I can't live without the 3D Touch cursor. Now I get the best of both worlds. Plus for me Apple's version is better at predicting what I want, probably because of years of typing with the stock keyboard.

Reactions: Ralfi

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
Trying out note chippier the first time

Typing now: ok - maybe I need to practice. Was supposed to say “trying out now for...”

Reactions: AlliFlowers

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
I tried it after updating to iOS 13 and it works well. I haven't used swipe type keyboard much before so I don't feel it speed up my typing. But it is fairly accurate and works as it is supposed to.

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Love it.

I have been waiting for this for a looooooong time.

I never liked GBoard or Swiftkey on my iPhone - Found to be a tad inaccurate when tap typing.

Great to finally have swipe typing on the stock keyboard.

Nimoy

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
I like it except some words just seem to be unswipeable i.e. "b-u-l-l-*******-t-i-n-g". Just try it!

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
First time I’ve ever tried this style of typing and I must say I’m impressed with the speed and accuracy. I’m a fan.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
This was the ONLY feature I liked about that android I owned for 6 months.

Was stoked to see it finally come.

It works well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.