Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I was surprised to see how much more accurately it infers the intent of my words than talk to text. Trying to figure out if I'll experience diminishing returns by investing the time to learn this new gesture, as I was substantially slower dragging one finger around the QWERTY keyboard than I am with two-thumb typing.

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
I am very impressed and probably my favorite feature in iOS 13. Used to have Swift key.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
It's going to take some getting used to but so far it appears to be really accurate. I like it.

huiAPPOAJ

Suspended
Jul 1, 2019
Seems like it's impossible to write certain 'forbidden words' and phrases like "i hate black" which is really strange.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
It works well, in English. If you're bilingual, you're out of luck and Swiftkey is still much better, as it can work with two (or more) languages simultaneously without any switching back and forth.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. I just dictated that in about Two seconds.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
It works well, in English. If you're bilingual, you're out of luck and Swiftkey is still much better, as it can work with two (or more) languages simultaneously without any switching back and forth.
So can this. I have English and German installed under Language & Region and can swipe in both languages without making any changes to settings/keyboards.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
So can this. I have English and German installed under Language & Region and can swipe in both languages without making any changes to settings/keyboards.

It can, if the language is supported. SwiftKey is still superior in that it supports swiping with many more languages than Apple.

Reactions: adrianlondon

fatalogic

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2016
I’m mostly happy with it and it makes one hand typing earlier on the Max for some reason. It seems to get at little tripped up if you’re bilingual.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I don’t feel like it’s as accurate as SwiftKey for me. I’ve mostly disabled it since installing iOS 13.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Ffs, is it not available on iPad OS? I was really looking forward to this.
It’s available on the iPad. You need to switch to the mini onscreen keyboard for it to work.
I’m still trying to get used to this feature, especially so on the iPad. Having issues with spacing and getting to the next word. Also fighting iOS changing words like bug to big or fighting to fight, why?

zkap

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2019
I would love for it to support my native language which is Finnish. But no, it does support smaller languages and neighboring languages as well. (Sigh)

This is the part that I don’t understand. Why roll out the feature if it doesn’t support at least a significant number of languages? My language isn’t supported either, and this is not good considering how late Apple is to implement this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miska82

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I find it makes me type noticeably slower, and with many more errors. I disabled it today. It also randomly causes really bizarre errors when tap-typing.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
It is available on iPad but only on the mini floating keyboard and not on the normal full sized keyboard.

View attachment 860572

I was disappointed that it wasn’t available on the full sized keyboard but atleast it is available. Hopefully in a future release it will be included with the full sized keyboard. Even a keyboard toggle button would suffice if Apple doesn’t want it on by default.

Thanks for confirming, that's where it makes sense. Swipe type when you have the onscreen keyboard taking up half the screen probably doesn't make sense.
[automerge]1569204257[/automerge]
I like it except some words just seem to be unswipeable i.e. "b-u-l-l-*******-t-i-n-g". Just try it!

Ditto for Duck with an F

I finally added it to the dictionary to stop normal typing correcting it, and now swipe refuses to type it.

For DUCKS sake apple....

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
It's going to take some getting used to but so far it appears to be really accurate. I like it.
Not sure if it'll help, but swiping slowly at first may assist in the keyboard 'learning' your word patterns.

This is only based on the presumption that Apple's keyboard learns your swipes over time as Swiftkey/G-Board do.

I’m mostly happy with it and it makes one hand typing earlier * on the Max for some reason.
;)

I was wondering if it made things *easier on the larger phones. So are you shifting the keyboard to the left or right & using Slide to Type that way?

Last edited:

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
The huge advantage here is Apple’s solution is built-in, and therefore we can trust the security of it, unlike third party solutions. Also, it has a dictation mike. The third-party apps did not.

Reactions: jpn and gtmac

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
The huge advantage here is Apple’s solution is built-in, and therefore we can trust the security of it, unlike third party solutions. Also, it has a dictation mike. The third-party apps did not.

The keyboard switches to default when entering sensitive info anyway, not that I've had any security issues with SwiftKey in the years I've been using it. Also, the dictation mic is present when using it too.

The fact that Apple doesn't support predictive input for lenguages which are otherwise system supported is a serious gap, given how late to the market they are.

Reactions: Miska82

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
I’m starting to hate it to be honest, mine does this really annoying thing where you’ll type a word and it’s fine but when you type the next word it’ll also change the previous word to something nonsensical, for example

I want to type “another finger” and one I type the word finger, the word another changes to scooter! Why would I be trying to type “scooter finger”?!

Reactions: adrianlondon

bigboy29

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
Yeah, I have switched back, unfortunately; had high hopes but maybe in 6 months. Issues I had:

- Changing of the word already typed, as just mentioned; I just don't understand it and it is frustrating
- I am annoyed that I can't even swipe something as innocent as 'crap'
- I just miss a button for punctuation; the insistence that I have to tap on the button to switch the keyboard (essentially) just to type a question mark is really annoying me

So I switched back to GBoard. I tried SwiftKey again but it's inability to delete the last swiped word without the long press drove me nuts.

BTW - you do not need to be worried about 3rd party keyboards sending stuff anywhere if you do not allow Full access rights to the keyboard. I know both GBoard and SwiftKey do tell you to do it, and you need to do it, but then you can disable it for both and keyboards will still work. Full access is what gives the keyboard access to the networking stack. I would definitely not use GBoard if it did not run without.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Are you two above on 13 or 13.1? It's better in 13.1 than 13 and no longer decides to go back and change words that were correct. Well, not so often, anyway. It still randomly capitalises words in the middle of sentences though.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I find swipe keyboards slower than typing. You have to switch between swiping and typing because swipe keyboards can’t seem to handle single characters or multiple repeating characters in a swipe motion. It makes the experience really jarring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.