Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
I’m constantly having slow internet with Verizon Xs Max. Places where I never had issues before are now having super slow speeds. Phone can show full signal & it’ll get 1mbs download.

Sometimes I can turn airplane mode on/off & it’ll get better. Not sure if it’s a Verizon issue or phone issue.

Attachments

• 96993C91-C5E6-45E5-8FAB-D910EB709391.png
    96993C91-C5E6-45E5-8FAB-D910EB709391.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 361
  • 5F2162DA-8ACD-471E-9A9A-026C2A6A6E6F.png
    5F2162DA-8ACD-471E-9A9A-026C2A6A6E6F.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 246
Reactions: Ram65

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Full bars don't necessarily translate into faster download speeds. If the network doesn't have the current capacity to support all of the devices currently being used at that moment the speeds will suffer. Also, on the test with 15 Mbps download speed you also have the phone with Low Power Mode on which limits or stops most if not all of the background tasks that might be eating up your download speed in the first test.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Full bars don't necessarily translate into faster download speeds. If the network doesn't have the current capacity to support all of the devices currently being used at that moment the speeds will suffer. Also, on the test with 15 Mbps download speed you also have the phone with Low Power Mode on which limits or stops most if not all of the background tasks that might be eating up your download speed in the first test.
Right but these are the same places where I would easily get 10mbs+ & being able to surf the web or IG. Now I’m getting super slow speeds 1-3mbs or not even loading at all.

Also the speeds increase when I toggle airplane mode even without low power mode on.

Attachments

• 9C0903BD-AB6E-4A7D-A3B1-26E73BA5EE9B.png
    9C0903BD-AB6E-4A7D-A3B1-26E73BA5EE9B.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 111
  • F281BE29-B0F4-41CA-929D-22694B3605DB.png
    F281BE29-B0F4-41CA-929D-22694B3605DB.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 108

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Right but these are the same places where I would easily get 10mbs+ & being able to surf the web or IG. Now I’m getting super slow speeds 1-3mbs or not even loading at all.

Also the speeds increase when I toggle airplane mode even without low power mode on.
I mean are these places busier now? I live in a tourist town that on an empty day will get 150mbps, when people come up I’ll get .5-1.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
I mean are these places busier now? I live in a tourist town that on an empty day will get 150mbps, when people come up I’ll get .5-1.
Not really. One area I have issues now is my job. Inside or outside the building

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Only way to verify if it’s the device or not is to test the connection speed in the exact same location at the same time with another device running on the same network.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I’m on Verizon with 13 mini.

Rest assured it’s Verizon having issues. The vast reading and deep dives onto forums have lead me to believe that the carrier updating they’re doing with 5g is making things terrible.

I can also confirm that areas that had no issues before (10mb+) is now 2mb to data so slow I can’t even complete a Siri request on my watch.

Reactions: three

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008

Rest assured it’s Verizon having issues. The vast reading and deep dives onto forums have lead me to believe that the carrier updating they’re doing with 5g is making things terrible.

I can also confirm that areas that had no issues before (10mb+) is now 2mb to data so slow I can’t even complete a Siri request on my watch.
I'll second this. Locally it has gotten way worse over the past year. My workplace is a great example of this. Before these "updates" started taking place, I never had any issues with basic web browsing, sending iMessage or MMS messages, music or video streaming, etc. Now, I can barely do any of those with Verizon. It's gotten to the point where I've signed up for a cheap eSIM plan on Mint Mobile (T-Mobile based) just to get any sort of data at work. It's awesome.

Reactions: JM

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013

I'll second this. Locally it has gotten way worse over the past year. My workplace is a great example of this. Before these "updates" started taking place, I never had any issues with basic web browsing, sending iMessage or MMS messages, music or video streaming, etc. Now, I can barely do any of those with Verizon. It's gotten to the point where I've signed up for a cheap eSIM plan on Mint Mobile (T-Mobile based) just to get any sort of data at work. It's awesome.
I figured it was a Verizon issue. It seems like it’s been downhill ever since 5G debuted. Considered upgrading to a 13 thinking it might have better connection

Reactions: Ram65 and JM

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I figured it was a Verizon issue. It seems like it’s been downhill ever since 5G debuted. Considered upgrading to a 13 thinking it might have better connection
The only benefit to the 5g I’ve found is maybe 5-10 mb faster speeds, and 5mb faster upload speeds.

*I have not experienced the ultra fast 5g yet that is only in “select” cities.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Yep, I was all ready to have great speeds with the Qualcomm chip, but nope: Verizon has to suck ***.

There are spots that remind of effing Sprint it’s so bad. If I wasn’t on a legacy plan with nine other people, paying $32 per line, I’d strongly consider leaving Verizon…. And I never thought I’d say that since Verizon has historically had the best data coverage.

Not anymore ?

• Wow
Reactions: three

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I’m getting really great speeds around southern CA with my 13 pm. 65mbps+ on lte in Pasadena, Riverside, Apple Valley and near downtown UCLA. I’ve seen 1300+ on the ultra 5G and 200-400 on 5G.

Attached pics from last night on LTE.

28F6DEB2-8C6B-46A5-91EB-ACF084429AD2.jpeg
Website ^
EC85048E-4AFA-4309-BDC4-8C760E1AB698.jpeg
App^

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Nice. Lucky you! :D

Verizon is crapping the bed right now, though, with their 5g roll out messing up the basic 4g coverage (and the basic 5g coverage).
One thing that I've noticed with 5G, unless I'm outside it has a heck of a time being used inside of anything. I can be sitting in my car (windows up, doors closed) and MAX 5G reception and not be able to load any webpages. The moment I crack a window - bam, page loads. Same for indoors. But outdoors, it's screaming.

LTE has been pretty good for me over the last few years where I live (Southern CA) so I usually tell my phone to focus on that.

I noticed too that when getting the 12PM I was forced to upgrade my Verizon plans to take advantage of the 5G - the new plans have "high priority" access or something like that on them - making me think they're low prioritizing the old plans / grandfathered plans? I could be wrong. But my 11 PM, 12 PM, and 13 PM all had similar LTE speeds.

I'm afraid of going to something like Mint Mobile cuz when I do need cellular, I really need it - though it's very very rare.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Yep, I was all ready to have great speeds with the Qualcomm chip, but nope: Verizon has to suck ***.

There are spots that remind of effing Sprint it’s so bad. If I wasn’t on a legacy plan with nine other people, paying $32 per line, I’d strongly consider leaving Verizon…. And I never thought I’d say that since Verizon has historically had the best data coverage.

Not anymore ?
Well I won’t bother upgrading then. Yeah I been with Verizon for a few years & never had issues

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
One thing that I've noticed with 5G, unless I'm outside it has a heck of a time being used inside of anything. I can be sitting in my car (windows up, doors closed) and MAX 5G reception and not be able to load any webpages. The moment I crack a window - bam, page loads. Same for indoors. But outdoors, it's screaming.

LTE has been pretty good for me over the last few years where I live (Southern CA) so I usually tell my phone to focus on that.

I noticed too that when getting the 12PM I was forced to upgrade my Verizon plans to take advantage of the 5G - the new plans have "high priority" access or something like that on them - making me think they're low prioritizing the old plans / grandfathered plans? I could be wrong. But my 11 PM, 12 PM, and 13 PM all had similar LTE speeds.

I'm afraid of going to something like Mint Mobile cuz when I do need cellular, I really need it - though it's very very rare.
Is 5G widely available where you’re at?

Does it have a hard time indoors because of the availability or that’s how it always is?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Is 5G widely available where you’re at?

Does it have a hard time indoors because of the availability or that’s how it always is?
It’s widely available. At home lte. But two blocks away 5G in all directions. I’ve had not great 5G experiences indoors but haven’t done comparisons with others to see if it’s just me or not.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014

This deprioritization would explain a lot. I’ll have to test against my sister in law’s iPhone 13. She has new plan.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014

Where did you learn about this prioritized data access other new Verizon plans? Is there a certain place that I can read about it?

**found this just now. I should be on prioritized data.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Where did you learn about this prioritized data access other new Verizon plans? Is there a certain place that I can read about it?

**found this just now. I should be on prioritized data.
I've been a long long time Verizon Wireless customer. T-Mobile was my first carrier back in the days when Catherine Zeta-Jones was doing the T-Mobile commercials. Switched to Verizon shortly after then. Anyway, I remember some of my coworkers who held onto their "truly" unlimited plans - I always kept up to date with the latest plans Verizon offered and was able to compare my speeds with theirs - they had abysmal speeds while I always had super fast speeds. Sure I paid slightly more but ... I got 3-4x more throughput on my phone than they did. (It convinced them to upgrade too because Verizon slowed them after 5GB).

1640047852545.png

When iPhone's 5G phones came out, I got a notice from Verizon saying I needed to upgrade my plan to take advantage of 5G - and if I did I'd have "premium network access" - if I didn't, I wouldn't have priority access - I didn't take a screenshot of the notice but above is what it says now. Annoying but nothing new for Verizon (they've been doing this since the Droid 1 days).

Wish I had saved that notice. But yeah, that site you listed is accurate imo.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I've been a long long time Verizon Wireless customer. T-Mobile was my first carrier back in the days when Catherine Zeta-Jones was doing the T-Mobile commercials. Switched to Verizon shortly after then. Anyway, I remember some of my coworkers who held onto their "truly" unlimited plans - I always kept up to date with the latest plans Verizon offered and was able to compare my speeds with theirs - they had abysmal speeds while I always had super fast speeds. Sure I paid slightly more but ... I got 3-4x more throughput on my phone than they did. (It convinced them to upgrade too because Verizon slowed them after 5GB).

View attachment 1931574

When iPhone's 5G phones came out, I got a notice from Verizon saying I needed to upgrade my plan to take advantage of 5G - and if I did I'd have "premium network access" - if I didn't, I wouldn't have priority access - I didn't take a screenshot of the notice but above is what it says now. Annoying but nothing new for Verizon (they've been doing this since the Droid 1 days).

Wish I had saved that notice. But yeah, that site you listed is accurate imo.
Awesome, thank you. I wonder if the doublespeak Verizon means by priority access has to do with their ultra fast 5g vs the regular slow 5g.

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I’m constantly having slow internet with Verizon Xs Max. Places where I never had issues before are now having super slow speeds. Phone can show full signal & it’ll get 1mbs download.

Sometimes I can turn airplane mode on/off & it’ll get better. Not sure if it’s a Verizon issue or phone issue.
That intel modem has a lot to do with it . But Verizon has gotten a lot slower in my area . I switch back to Att 2 months ago speeds been great service also .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.