Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
People forget that Mac OS is not a "fast" or "snappy" OS by any standards.
It was a slideshow in the G4 days. It's gotten better but it's still not "fast"

ratex

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2020
I'm also experiencing the stuttering when typing and changing apps... It's really annoying :(
I've never seen this problem on my old 2015 MBP. This is is really unacceptable...

I'm hoping this is a software problem that it will be fixed soon

PyerCoffin

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2020
I've had this problem and it was due to (very) bad Wacom drivers. For those of you using a tablet follow the link and try the tip (using an older driver):

Reactions: ondioline

ratex

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2020
I've had this problem and it was due to (very) bad Wacom drivers. For those of you using a tablet follow the link and try the tip (using an older driver):

Thanks for sharing but unfortunately it's not my case since I don't have any Wacoms

gorbay

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2020
Hey everyone. I intermittently have the same issue. My observations:

1. when the problem happens, I see no GPU activity in activity monitor.
2. when I turn off and on automatic graphics switching, the problem temporarily goes away. I also see iGPU activity.
3. I also have wacom drivers installed, it may be the cause.

My guess is that, for some reason, safari falls back to software rendering and doesn't use GPU acceleration at all.

Related observation:
Before I uninstalled the Wacom drivers, I would see stutters in the mouse input while playing an old game (that I know runs at high fps). The problem went away after uninstallation.

Last edited:

gpchess2k

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2015
Could you folks leave Console open, select your device (hostname), toggle 'Errors and Faults, and post the faults (red dots) when the issues happen. The errors are not logged in any flat file so you have to keep Console open to see the errors! So far there is a combination of three error codes listed down below that I have seen consistently on multiple machines. This is because of the bug introduced by the Security Update 2020-002 released on the last three major OS versions with Catalina downwards. I'll also link a good place to keep an eye on fixes or workarounds (not that great unless you downgrade and skip this security update from terminal).

Process - coreduetd or routined
Message - Couldn't read values in CFPrefsPlistSource……

Process - Kernel
Message - IntelAccelerator OR void IOAccelFenceMachine

Article outlining the issue - https://mrmacintosh.com/2020-002-up...ing-hw-accelerated-video/#blog_subscription-3

Last edited:

gpchess2k

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2015
Great news: Apple finally released what could be the fix to the video conferencing bugs and overall freeze issues (along with a slew of other kernel bug fixes) for OS versions High Sierra, Mojave, and Catalina. It will be a security update for High Sierra and Mojave called Security Update 2020-003. For Catalina it will simply be v10.15.5. Lets hope it doesn't bring any new bugs!

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
I downloaded the new update, Safari is working smoothly so far. I did notice very rarely the cursor freezes for a second. Does anyone else have this issue.

gpchess2k

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2015
For those reporting issues please leave Console app open, select ‘Errors and Faults’, and report fault errors (in red) when the issue occurs. Note that these fault codes will not appear in flat log files for whatever reason. You have to catch it with Console open. =/

Last edited:

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I downloaded the new update, Safari is working smoothly so far. I did notice very rarely the cursor freezes for a second. Does anyone else have this issue.

Got the update like 30 mins ago, doing some heavy browsing right now.

So far the only issues I'm getting is a bit of lag when opening new tabs

yindrameansu

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2020
I just bought the new MacBook Pro 16 base model with latest version of Catalina and im having an issue with Safari. When i scroll some Pages it stutters from time to time. A problem i never has with my 2017 MBP 13. Chrome is working flawlessly. When i compare CPU usage on both browsers i notise that Safari often spikes in the 100-130% range, while Chrome never does this.

ive tried to delete cache and logs. I also tried to make a new admin user without any luck.
So far browsing with Safari on the Macbook Pro 16 is simular to browsing on an old 2012 MBP. It works good most of the time with the occational stutter, which i know it shouldnt be like.

Anyone having similar issues or suggestions ?
Hey you are not alone.
There's a lot of threads noticing lag, stuttering or other display problems with MBP16. Myself included. It is such a nuance, that maybe many users don't appreciate it, but for me, it's driving me crazy. I updated from an iMac 5K, and my user experience is so worse just by browsing files and internet. look around, apparently it has to do with the integrated graphics card. The community is trying to figure out if it's a hardware or software issue, since many users don't seem to notice anything.
I'm wondering if it's because we are used (and sensitive) to ultra-smooth navigation. It is just so bothering for me.

Supra Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Texas
So was this issue resolved for you all on the iGPU with the latest update? A search brought me here, I don't have a MBP but a 2020 Air and I get frame drop scrolling, not terrible but noticeable. This is in the system and safari. I'm on 10.15.5. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.