Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Espen Thuen Hansen

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2019
Its not just the Macbook Pro 16 either. Its every Macbook with Intel UHD GPU. You probably need a Macbook with Iris graphics to get a smoother experience with an igpu running.

Last edited:
Reactions: treypiepmeier

Tarek S. Abdelhamed

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2019
Its not just the Macbook Pro 16 either. Is every Macbook with Intel UHD GPU. You probably need a Macbook with Iris graphics to get a smoother experience with an igpu running.

Hoping for a software patch that fixes this asap. Until then I'll be sticking with my dGPU I don't unplug my macbook anyway.

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Yeah I’ve been experiencing this as well actually. It reminds me of my 2011 MacBook Air. Should I switch to chrome? I wanted to use safari because of the integration with my iPhone. I also noticed short stutters in store models but I figured it was just happenstance or something that would go away.

Last edited:

PhoebusXS

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2020
Same issue on my 16-inch MBP, with just Chrome running a video stream and normal browsing. Disabled Chrome's gfx card accleration and it doesn't help. Even if I am using Intel card only, this issue will happen no matter what. AMD card only mode might be the only solution.

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Same issue on my 16-inch MBP, with just Chrome running a video stream and normal browsing. Disabled Chrome's gfx card accleration and it doesn't help. Even if I am using Intel card only, this issue will happen no matter what. AMD card only mode might be the only solution.
Is it possible this is just not related to switching?

Tarek S. Abdelhamed

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2019

The problem is not related to switching, it's rather a poorly optimized driver for the iGPU which explains why when using the dGPU everything is pretty much okay. the problem further shines when the OS attempts to switch from the iGPU to dGPU and the entire macbook can freeze for an entire second or two again this is because of the poor driver optimization for the iGPU.

Reactions: Marinier

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
The problem is not related to switching, it's rather a poorly optimized driver for the iGPU which explains why when using the dGPU everything is pretty much okay. the problem further shines when the OS attempts to switch from the iGPU to dGPU and the entire macbook can freeze for an entire second or two again this is because of the poor driver optimization for the iGPU.
I’m pretty sure I’ve experienced some microstutters on my external monitor but now I’ll be more analytical about this. Poor audio driver and poor graphics drivers. I know dell has similar qc issues but will I see experience this on a Lenovo or razor?

Tarek S. Abdelhamed

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2019
I’m pretty sure I’ve experienced some microstutters on my external monitor but now I’ll be more analytical about this. Poor audio driver and poor graphics drivers. I know dell has similar qc issues but will I see experience this on a Lenovo or razor?

Anything at this point is better than Macbooks but sometimes you are forced to use it because you have no other choice.

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Anything at this point is better than Macbooks but sometimes you are forced to use it because you have no other choice.
It’s the reviewers fault I wouldn’t of got this if it hadn’t been so hyped as the best laptop apples made. I don’t get how no one noticed the popping or the ui freezes. My parents both have 2011 and 2013 MacBooks which are still going strong with no serious sighs of dying, and my iPhone is buttery smooth.
[automerge]1578255352[/automerge]
Btw, I’ve also had the trackpad become unresponsive at some point and only able to move and click (but not right click) when disconnecting my mouse and external monitor before taking it out of clamshell mode. Some serious driver issues

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
I tried turning off Automated graphics switching and that did indeed help significantly. Before when scrolling fast the mouse would briefly switch the the spinning rainbow wheel and then back and the screen would lag as well. This still happens on the dGPU but its way better and way smoother whereas scrolling fast through Facebook feels like a 2011 computer on the iGPU.

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
That's horrible! Was this problem introduced by Caralina? (The 16 incher is my first MBP)
I’ve never seen anything like this except on older computers with underpowered CPUs like my 2012 air and even then I think this performs worse on average.

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
No one knows the exact issue, but the iGPU optimization is pretty much ****ed up.
I tried all MacBooks in store and all had sluggish safari on iGPU including the 13 in and air. My friends with Mojave don't have this so I'm guessing its just poor optimization in Catalina for the iGPU. I'm gonna keep my computer and wait it out and just not update past Catalina once its finally good for a while aha.

Reactions: Marinier

franksvalli

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2012
I can confirm that I've narrowed it down to the integrated graphics card as well.

I installed gfxCardStatus to see which card is in use and when they switch, and wasn't experiencing freezing when the card switches.

I disabled card switching and used my computer all day on the discrete card yesterday and ran into zero freezing issues. Switched to dynamic switching today, and it's only been on the integrated card this morning, and has glitched/frozen a few times now.

PhoebusXS

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2020

My initial assumption is that frequent switching contributes to the lags. It might be. I disabled hardware accleration in Chrome, the problem has reduced quite a bit. Still saw it once. I'll need more time to evaluate.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Yep with that current amount of people saying they are having the exact same issue it can't be hardware issue unless the whole production line was defected.

Yeah it's definitely a driver issue without a doubt... I do wonder if they are ever gonna fix this?!?! I have been using the 16" at clamshell to avoid this issue.
[automerge]1578330563[/automerge]
I can confirm that I've narrowed it down to the integrated graphics card as well.

I installed gfxCardStatus to see which card is in use and when they switch, and wasn't experiencing freezing when the card switches.

I disabled card switching and used my computer all day on the discrete card yesterday and ran into zero freezing issues. Switched to dynamic switching today, and it's only been on the integrated card this morning, and has glitched/frozen a few times now.

It's a issue with both iGPU and Hardware Acceleration I believe

Reactions: treypiepmeier

ratex

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2020
We should make them aware of this problem. Can one of you post on Apple's official forum? They probably don't access this one on a regular basis :)

I would post it but I don't experience the problem. In the last few days. It would make sense to film it imo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.