Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay Bello

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
Getting the new MacBook again, default everything (man I just login...). Same issue.

So I am pretty sure it's an issue that's affecting all users. Whether it can be fixed through an update or not is unknown.

Espen Thuen Hansen

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2019
Its pretty lame that the IGPU is not strong enough to surf the web with constant 60FPS when the same IGPU has no problem in Windows. Im guessing its Intels fault.

markem

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2019
System Preferences > General > Use font smoothing when available > OFF.

Changing that took care of ~80% of lags on my new 16" MacBookPro. The other 20% was fixed by disabling graphic card switching. Before turning off the font smoothing I couldn't browse on Chrome or edit text while coding. Now I don't see any lags.

I've filed a bug report with Apple couple of days ago so hope they will fix this in their next software update. Until then, this is the workaround.

Torti ☁️

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2019
Ifs, France
Same problems as mentioned here. Using DGPU fixed for me as well.
Does anybody know if the 2019 15" MacBook Pro have the same issue ?

Anyway it doesn't seems normal to have such lags on a +2400$ machine... Hope apple will release a fix soon but i'm not very optimistic...

0x2f6465762f6e756c6c

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2019
God ive got so many software bugs.

Y'all are having iGPU issues just like I am. Switching to the dGPU solves it. Download Intel Power Gadget. What does it show your gpu is running at. My iGPU seems to randomly **** itself after a few sleep cycles and will fix itself after a reboot. And everytime the iGPU performance is horrible, I notice the iGPU is stuck at .2Ghz, which is normally at a .7ish Ghz

Mid 2015 MacBook Pro 15" 2.5Ghz w/ dGPU

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
God ive got so many software bugs.

Y'all are having iGPU issues just like I am. Switching to the dGPU solves it. Download Intel Power Gadget. What does it show your gpu is running at. My iGPU seems to randomly **** itself after a few sleep cycles and will fix itself after a reboot. And everytime the iGPU performance is horrible, I notice the iGPU is stuck at .2Ghz, which is normally at a .7ish Ghz

Mid 2015 MacBook Pro 15" 2.5Ghz w/ dGPU

I'm assuming you are onto something here

Espen Thuen Hansen

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2019
Mine goes anywhere from 0.0 to 1.2. Everytime the stutter appears its around 1-1.2

I`ve been using DGPU for a week now, and going back to IGPU was still a horrible experience. I have no idea how this performance has not been talked about in reviews etc for any mac. There shouldnt be any perfomance difference between IGPU and DPGU when doing web browsing and other basic tasks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torti ☁️

Reaction

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2019
Just wanted to say that I'm having the same issue on my Late 2018 15" Macbook Pro that I purchased last January and has a dedicated graphics card (AMD Radeon Pro Vega 20). I've been experiencing random freezes that force me to do a hard restart of my laptop... I'm not sure this is what is causing my issues, but it seems highly likely. It's incredibly frustrating as this laptop is my primary driver for work/school, and had cost me ~$3,300 (not including the cost of AppleCare). Thank god I purchased that though because I've already had to have two major repairs done on this laptop - 1. Internal crack on display (which apparently would have cost me ~$795 if not for AppleCare), and 2. Touch bar backlight went out (which also would have cost me $795 even though the only issue was that I couldn't see the buttons -- the touch bar was still functional). However, it's quite upsetting that this issue has occurred more frequently since my last repair was done less than a month ago. I have disabled font smoothing, as was suggested earlier in the thread. I'm going to also switch to using my Vega 20 only now, and I will see if that helps. I have Intel Power Gadget already installed and will try to keep track of the ranges. I will report back here in a few days once I see whether this has helped!

Espen Thuen Hansen

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2019
I dont think it is the same issue, all though my mac has frosen twice since i got it, and auto rebooted with the fan kicking in at max speed for a couple seconds.

Anyway why did you need Apple Care for the repairs ? Normal warranty surely would cover this ?

Malfouf

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
Hey,

I'm really really, happy to have finally found this forum. This is exactly the same problem I have on my brand new Macbook pro 16. So disappointed to spend 3.5K euros to not be able to have a great experience while coding simple stuff on visual studio or surfing on chrome.

I've just tried to check the box next to “Automatic graphics switching”, and it appears to be OK for me now, but i need to try it more.

I am not sure if i should return back my computer (i can return it until 8th of january) or not, considering so many computers have the same issue. But i do not understand if it is a "common" problem that no one talks about it more. The experience is AWFUL for me while coding.

I don't know if there could be a link with another problem I already had two times : my screen just went black (i could see my touch bar still working) but i had to reboot my computer to get my screen back ...

Reactions: g75d3

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
I dont have this problem on my MBP16. Just reporting that to add a datapoint.

- Font smoothing - default (so enabled)
- I have forced only iGPU via gSwitch app. I want more battery life.
- I use the Microsoft Edge browser almost exclusively. No stutters or slowdowns whatsoever.
- I also use Safari occasionally (I find it is the most efficient - battery/cpu-wise - when watching youtube). I hate that I cannot block ads easily though (Safari's extension mechanism is really bad with v13).

The only issue I have right now is the display ghosting/text smearing :( which is pretty bad when the unit/display is cold and gets somewhat better once the display warms up. Still bothers me, I might exchange the unit to see if I win the panel lottery.

Mini2018User

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2019
Hello,
i'm new to this forum and bought my first Mac last week. It's a Mac Mini 2018 i5/16GB Ram/512GB SSD. The Mini is attached to a LG 4k monitor. And i have to say... i'm very disappointed of the overall browsing performance of Mac OS (And some other areas). I've tested Safari/Firefox/Opera/Chrome. I chose Chrome, because it's the least pain of all browsers. But far from being good or amazing. On so many webpages you can clearly see the frames dropping like crazy. In Safari, on some pages, the frames dropping even below 30fps!!! This is ridiculous. An absolute torment for my eyes. And sometimes, even entering an url causes beachballing for 2-3 seconds.

I guess most Mac OS users are just used to it. But from a PC users perspective, this is inacceptable. You pay thousands of dollars (euros in my case) and have a machine (the Mac), that feels like a machine from 2001 in context of webbrowsing.

I also have a Windows 10 PC running with an i5 9600K and a dGPU. But the internal GPU in the 9600K is the same as the iGPU in the i5 of my Mac Mini (Intel UHD 630). So i've unplugged my dGPU off of my PC and ran some tests with the iGPU. Guess what? On Win 10 there are far lesser problems with frame drops with the iGPU on 4K resolution!!! It is so much smoother than on Mac OS. So my conclusion is, that it's definitely a problem with Mac OS. It can't be an hardware issue, because on every benchmark (Geekbench, Cinebench, Unigine Heaven), my Mac Mini scored as it should (compared results on the internet).

So far, i couldn't find any low cost solutions/workarounds/fixes for this problem. The most likely fix for this issue, is to buy an eGPU case. Put a RX 570 or 580 in it and connect it to the Mini. But my testing with the iGPU on Win 10 clearly shows, that this shouldn't be necessary. The UHD 630 is sufficient to provide an almost (Some webpages as exceptions) stutter and lag free browsing and UI experience (at least on Win 10).

If this is the proclaimed "Apple quality", then i'm not impressed...

Edit:
Further testing (comparing Intel UHD 630 on PC/Mac) resulted in some interesting numbers:

Geekbench 5 Compute Benchmark with OpenCL: 4730 (Mac) || 6332 (PC) --> UHD 630 in PC ~33% faster

Cinebench r15 OpenGL: ~41fps (Mac) || ~65fps (PC) --> UHD 630 in PC ~58% faster

This clearly shows, how poorly MacOS is optimized for this iGPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Screech

Tarek S. Abdelhamed

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2019
Anything new on this ? I'm still struggling with the same issue and I'm unable to do anything except disabling the iGPU and working just with the dGPU.

Espen Thuen Hansen

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2019
I`ve got used to it. Maybe the last update improved the issue slightly as well as i dont notice the stutter that much anymore.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Anything new on this ? I'm still struggling with the same issue and I'm unable to do anything except disabling the iGPU and working just with the dGPU.

The issue is still on going.. It's literally impossible to scroll through Reddit or Imgur with the iGPU.

My suggestion is quite simple, just turn on the GPU if you are plugged or if you are able to charge in 3-5h
[automerge]1578040563[/automerge]
Mine goes anywhere from 0.0 to 1.2. Everytime the stutter appears its around 1-1.2

I`ve been using DGPU for a week now, and going back to IGPU was still a horrible experience. I have no idea how this performance has not been talked about in reviews etc for any mac. There shouldnt be any perfomance difference between IGPU and DPGU when doing web browsing and other basic tasks.

My iGPU is all over the place lol. I have attached a print screen after scrolling through both Reddit & Imgur

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-03 at 08.35.13.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-03 at 08.35.13.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 189

Tarek S. Abdelhamed

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2019
The issue is still on going.. It's literally impossible to scroll through Reddit or Imgur with the iGPU.

My suggestion is quite simple, just turn on the GPU if you are plugged or if you are able to charge in 3-5h
[automerge]1578040563[/automerge]

My iGPU is all over the place lol. I have attached a print screen after scrolling through both Reddit & Imgur

That's what I'm doing I have disabled the iGPU and I only use the dGPU I've reached to Apple support over phone and I'm investigating with them, I doubt anything will be solved and I guess we'll just have to live with it. I'll be replacing it as soon as the 2020 macbook comes out if it's not fixed anytime soon. It's ridiculous that you pay 3.5k$ for a machine and it can't do simple web-browsing. Even my lenovo y50-70 which is 5 years old and costed me 1k$ back then outperforms this thing when using the iGPU lol

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
That's what I'm doing I have disabled the iGPU and I only use the dGPU I've reached to Apple support over phone and I'm investigating with them, I doubt anything will be solved and I guess we'll just have to live with it. I'll be replacing it as soon as the 2020 macbook comes out if it's not fixed anytime soon. It's ridiculous that you pay 3.5k$ for a machine and it can't do simple web-browsing. Even my lenovo y50-70 which is 5 years old and costed me 1k$ back then outperforms this thing when using the iGPU lol
I suppose it’s something to do with current driver and iGPU implementation

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.