Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you buy a smart cover if Smart case is available?

• Yes.. still prefers smart cover

Votes: 67 43.2%
  • Will buy smart case for sure

Votes: 63 40.6%
  • Neither of them...

Votes: 25 16.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GeorgeN111

macrumors regular
May 24, 2010
You're in luck, I have the red one! This case is one of the brighter reds I've ever seen. It's redder than a stop sign, honestly. There's no way that I could say that this case is at all orange.

I have the red leather smart cover(I like red, and aids research), and this one shows a lot more oil than the leather version, but less dirt/sweat from holding it. I haven't had any problem with lint yet.

Also, my leather one scratched easily, something that this one doesn't do.

EDIT: Here's a photo of it next to some red scissors, a red taffy taffy wrapper and red lightbulb packaging. You can see just how red it is.

View attachment 343986

Wow! Thankyou very much, really appreciate the photo.:D

I am really happy to see that the Red Smart Case is really Red, it is hard to tell the extent of the colour in video's on Youtube but you have showed the extent of the Red perfectly.

I think I am going to place my order for a Red Smart Case and see if I like it or not. Worth a try I guess.

Once again, thankyou! :)

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Wow! Thankyou very much, really appreciate the photo.:D

I am really happy to see that the Red Smart Case is really Red, it is hard to tell the extent of the colour in video's on Youtube but you have showed the extent of the Red perfectly.

I think I am going to place my order for a Red Smart Case and see if I like it or not. Worth a try I guess.

Once again, thankyou! :)

You're welcome! If this thing is even in your peripheral vision it glows red. It might honestly be the reddest thing I've ever seen. I hope you like yours, and it's definitely worth a try since they got rid of the restocking fee!

Last edited:

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
First thoughts:

Having the pink poly Smart Cover and loving it, I ordered the pink poly Smart Case. Arrived an hour ago.

I like it a lot! A whole lot, actually!

It fits good and tight, there is no wiggle room and no gaps. No wavy edges.

All cutouts are perfect and spot on.

I don't think it is cheap looking as has been commented on. Seems very well finished.

I love the smooth attaching side, far more comfortable to hold than the metal-edged Smart Cover.

Cover lays on the edges of the case and is simple to open. Magnets seem strong. Cover is much much lighter than the Smart Cover. The whole case makes the new iPad feel lighter to hold.

One thing that pleased me is that the edges of the case cover only a small bit of the iPad bezel. I was worried about that because I like an open bezel. I don't think it makes the screen look small. It makes it look more finished and complete, in my opinion.

(Deleted comment about sharp edges, see below)

I have a concern as to how it will stand the test of time. My Smart Cover is 14 months old and still perfect.

Expensive for what it is?? Absolutely, without question!!! Not sure why I would spend $25 more on this than the Invellop case which I am also considering.

Going to live with this case for a week and see if my love for it has waned at all.

UPDATE: Have now used this for 5 hours straight. I am stunned at how sharp the edges of this case really are. I use my iPad in landscape mode and have to tell you my hands HURT!!! While the edges won't actually cut you, they are sharp enough to abrade the skin holding this thing for extended periods. Sending it back tomorrow. Wayyyyy too much money to be so uncomfortable :(

Last edited:

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Just got the dark grey smart case. I didn't buy smart cover, because I wanted some protection for the back. I used an iPad case from Belkin before this.

Smart case is a little bit loose, but not nearly as much as some people are saying. However, when holding iPad near the edge, it feels strange when the case border bends and iPad pushes out from the case a little bit.

The edges are sharp and uncomfortable to hold, maybe they will get softer after awhile. The stability in video viewing position is really bad, but I have used that position so rarely with my previous case, that it's not that important for me... but I definitely wouldn't recommend this case if that's important for you.

Overall, it's not as good as I expected from Apple, but it's good enough for me to keep it.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i just got my smart case and its HORRIBLE. the edges are too sharp, making it really uncomfortable to hold and it doesnt even fit! my ipad 2 is all loose inside.

did they even test this case? back to smartcover

sending it back asap

Last edited:

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I had this case for a few days, and the sharp edges problem does go away. The other problems, however, do not. You guys might want to keep it a few more days and see if your experience is similar.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
The smart cover.

It’s ingenious, integrated into the hardware of the iPad and can be removed instantly.

It’s a huge step back to release the smart case, as Steve said when they released the iPad 2:

“Last year we made a case, but we went to all this trouble to create a thin beautiful design and then we covered it up with a case, which added thickness and made it incompatible with accessories.”

The smart cover nailed it. And every single time I pick my iPad up to use it the smart cover comes straight off and I use it naked.

Other case manufacturers have made cases that protect the back for the more adventurous people out there who need it.

Apple doesn’t need to have this case. They should have continued to provide the coolest, sleekest solution, the smart cover. And leave the bulky plastic stuff for the other case makers.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
I'm warming to the Smart Cover.

The fit (on my third gen iPad, at least) is good. I think the issue is that it fits in an unexpected way; the case gripping the iPad well enough, but not really looking like it does.

As far as the functionality is concerned, it's as good as the original iPad case, but much less of a crud-magnet.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
see this is unaccaptable for apple and that price :eek:

t5rw47.png
15iys1.png

the gap between iPad and Smart Case is massive
a4rgc5.png

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
the smart case is a crock.

just buy a smart cover and an incipio smart feather matching colored back plate. $39 + $20 = $59. it's well worth the extra $10 over this piece of unpolished garbage that must have been designed by one of the following

1) outsourced to china for design
2) design intern
3) someone who thinks Value Engineering trumps fit, form, and function...mainly the FIT part

GeorgeN111

macrumors regular
May 24, 2010
From what I have heard from people on here and friends, I believe that this case has a much better fit when used with the iPad 3 rather than the 2 due to some slight differences in thickness.

I have an iPad 3 and will be receiving a Red Smart Case shortly, I will post my opinions on the fit with the iPad 3 then, but from what I have heard, this case is getting positive reviews from more often than not, those who have the iPad 3. Those with the iPad 2 seem to be the ones that are not happy with the case.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
From what I have heard from people on here and friends, I believe that this case has a much better fit when used with the iPad 3 rather than the 2 due to some slight differences in thickness.

I have an iPad 3 and will be receiving a Red Smart Case shortly, I will post my opinions on the fit with the iPad 3 then, but from what I have heard, this case is getting positive reviews from more often than not, those who have the iPad 3. Those with the iPad 2 seem to be the ones that are not happy with the case.

Mine is an iPad 3 and the fit isn't very good.

pmacuser

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
San Diego, CA
I would still choose smart cover. I do have a smart cover, and I know it's all made of cheap material, but I still wanted one because it's apple's genuine product. :) However, I wouldn't buy smart case. I would rather utilize the apple smart cover with other cases just for the back.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
I don't know where all the hate is coming from. I picked up the smart cover for my iPad 3 today and the fit/feel reminds me of the case for my original iPad 1. I liked it in that it helps me to grasp it as I have big dorky hands. If you hated the iPad 1 cover than I guess you will hate this new one as well.

momentlab

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
Very disappointed with the Smart Case. The material and build quality is very poor. I love the Smart Cover though. The Smart Cover feels high quality and works well.

I found this stylus to go with the Smart cover. It folds flat and attaches magnetically to the front of the smart cover. It also comes with two tips, soft and hard so you can customize how it feels when you use it with your ipad.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...he-ipad-smart-cover-has-a-new-sidek/dashboard

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I still prefer my smart cover + iBlason back case over the new smart case. IMO, it's not really a case but more of a fitted sleeve than anything else. I'm sure the iBlason won't protect my iPad from any severe damage however the smart case seems like it would only protect against scratches at best. I've never been a big fan of flimsy type cases and much more prefer the hard back covers. To each their own but the smart case isn't for me. Besides, I already paid out the ass for my leather smart cover so I'm not giving it up that easily just yet :cool:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Any retailers selling the smart case? I tried both Target and Walmart in my area and neither sold the case.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
the smart case is a crock.

just buy a smart cover and an incipio smart feather matching colored back plate. $39 + $20 = $59. it's well worth the extra $10 over this piece of unpolished garbage that must have been designed by one of the following

1) outsourced to china for design
2) design intern
3) someone who thinks Value Engineering trumps fit, form, and function...mainly the FIT part

My solution too. Both the Smart Cover and in Smart Feather seem really well made, and the combination is super.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
My solution too. Both the Smart Cover and in Smart Feather seem really well made, and the combination is super.

x3...i switch between this combo and an incpio flagship....BTW, apple store in Wilmington today had smart cases stacked up being returned ...

Last edited:

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011

it really is super, it's thin, lightweight, and covers all corners and edges. i couldn't ask for a better combo

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
I thought the Smart Feather doesn't cover the bottom edge?

It doesn't - the speaker area and most of the bottom is exposed. But it's very thin and light.

Edit: I also forgot to mention the top is also exposed. The coverage it offers is just a tad less than the XtremeMac Microshield SC - the latter has a perforated area where the top part of the speaker is.

Last edited:

atlatnesiti

Suspended
Sep 4, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I have bought 6 iPad 3 cases so far and Apple Smart Cover as well.
These are (in order of purchases):
1. Yoobao Leather folio
2. STM Grip
3. STM Skinny 3
4. Incipio Folio stand
5. Belkin Tri-Fold
6. Rock Defender
* Smart Cover scratched left side of my iPad BTW;
Smart Cover came first actually...
The point is that none of them did or looked what they claimed to be...
Smart Cover in combination with snap shields just did not do the trick - cracking edges, finger prints galore, crap finish and the list goes on...
Last week I have purchased Apple Smart Case and I feel (after week of use) that this is the one I'll be keeping for sure.
Fits perfectly, has all the functionality of Smart Cover (and doesn't scratch) and covers everything.
Bottom line is: LOVE IT
PS; Even though it claims to be iPad 2 compatible, personally i wouldn't recommend Smart Case due to the obvious size difference.
Can't be bothered to look for the "perfect" iPad case anymore - Smart Case is the 1 (for me anyway)... :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.