Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you buy a smart cover if Smart case is available?

• Yes.. still prefers smart cover

Votes: 67 43.2%
  • Will buy smart case for sure

Votes: 63 40.6%
  • Neither of them...

Votes: 25 16.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
Wow sad the smart case hurts my hand. And the apple log on it is cheap. Back to my leather Smart Cover and zagg back skin. Still looking for a thin back shell though.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Yes, I'd like to get New iPad 2 iPad 3 Smart Cover Case - iPad Protector.

Which Slim and durable, is truly a natural fit with new ipad 2/ipad 3. iPad can automatically wake or put it into hibernation. Cool, is it?

richxps, how the case hurt your hand? Oh, is it a safe case?  

it's been written here by tens of people - not apple's best product....

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Oh please...it's trash....do a search....get a macally or incipio back and smart cover and be way ahead...you obviously have not owned anything else...

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
apple's best product? personally, not best but better and better

I'd have to disagree - I've used several, and it just isn't a very good CASE - or even a good skin. It can be hard to open, the rim isn't tiff enough to keep itself on the iPad when held at one edge, and for the price you'd be better off getting a Smart Cover and a cheap back shell, or a skin if you need the minor scratch proofing the Smart Case provides.

There's a reason the third party case market exists: Apple doesn't serve the case market well at all, as they want people to use the iPad as-is, without a case. Me? I've always used cases, because I like to cover my bases.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
There's a reason the third party case market exists: Apple doesn't serve the case market well at all, as they want people to use the iPad as-is, without a case. Me? I've always used cases, because I like to cover my bases.

And this is why they released this case, they are not a case maker, they don't want to be, and probably prefered not to make it in the first place, but may have done so due to customer demand.

I'm happy with mine (dark grey) and my wife is happy with her's (pink). We both have 3's and the fit is perfect. The edges (although pointy) are not an issue for us, and the only time we use it to watch something is in the bed so standing the ipad up via case is irrelevant. We have a 50' with blue ray for our couch tv watching needs.

Breezer23

macrumors member
May 9, 2012
And this is why they released this case, they are not a case maker, they don't want to be, and probably prefered not to make it in the first place, but may have done so due to customer demand.

I'm happy with mine (dark grey) and my wife is happy with her's (pink). We both have 3's and the fit is perfect. The edges (although pointy) are not an issue for us, and the only time we use it to watch something is in the bed so standing the ipad up via case is irrelevant. We have a 50' with blue ray for our couch tv watching needs.

Wow! You have a 50 foot television in your bedroom! That is a massive TV! The case is functional and is a decent case. It's just not a good case for the price. If it was $20-$30 I might consider it a great case.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
i wish that Apple would make a regular Poly smart case in red so i wouldn't have to drop $69 on the leather one, of which the dye runs over time (ended up returning mine for that reason)

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I got the red poly smart case from Apple and it fit perfectly and i don't have any of the issues that others had posted earlier. There was some pictures that someone posted about how bad the fit was, but I didn't see what the issue was, it looked perfectly fine to me.

I've been using the red case now on my iPad 3 for about 3 months now and it's still looking good as new. Cleans very easily with a damp cloth and I have gotten several comments on how nice it looks and where they could get one for their iPads.

As for the complaints about it being difficult to open, well it's not difficult to open. If it were any easier to open they would be complaining it didn't stay shut.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
BS "they are not a case maker"- they made one! ......and a shoddy one to boot.

I retired off apple stock so I'm a huge fanboy, but this one slipped passed Ives and the boys. Somebody should be shot for this. The had such potential to innovate again, and came up with this. Sheesh......

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
wow! You have a 50 foot television in your bedroom! That is a massive tv! The case is functional and is a decent case. It's just not a good case for the price. If it was $20-$30 i might consider it a great case.

:d

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I've used both and if I had to choose I would rather use a smart cover with a back cover personally.

This is still my favorite iPad case to date over everything.

41-poNo843L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

kyussmondo

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
I have a Smart Case. Personally I am not a case person and don't have one on my iPhone. The iPad is used by both my wife and little boy and it gets dusty without so a case is good to have.

I didn't want a big bulky one and although the smart cover looked nice it doesn't really protect the back and I am not sure how strong the hinge would be. The Smart Case is thin and light while feeling sturdy enough to protect it. The camera and all the ports and switches are all easily accessible as well. The case generally works well but in a more upright position is not that stable as it is not as flush to the iPad as the Cover is. It clips in nice and securely, although it can be hard to take out, although I rarely do this, so no big deal.

Cosmetically it doesn't look as nice as a naked iPad but it still looks nice. The grey case goes well with the white iPad, makes a nice contrast. I'm not too keen on the brighter colours, but that is just my preference.

All in all I would recommend getting one, although the case shown by djransom does look very nice.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
I'm not a case person either for my iPhone but I do put screen protectors on. For the iPads, I had the original iPad cover and I tried the Smart Cover and didn't particularly like it as it didn't protect the back at all. As the original iPad case is lose with an iPad 2 or 3 in it and the fabric along the edge where the flap is was splitting revealing the inner structure, I thought I'd give the Smart Case a go.

I haven't spent long with it yet but a few things annoy me about it.

The fit itself is fine, the iPad 3 is nestled in perfectly and no sliding around compared to the original case.

Except that the dock connector is partially covered, the iPad doesn't quite sit high enough. Will need to try connecting a cable to see if that is a problem.

I miss being able to lock the flap in position on the back, I think I used the original case about 80% of the time, the rest closed.

The edges of the case are very sharp compared to the original case, I guess they may soften or smooth with time

The magnets are a touch weak but that's only really noticeable if the unit is nearly upside which is fine.

The lid is hard to lift though, particularly compared to the original case. Some might like that for me it's a pain (and I have long nails).

I don't use the original iPad case in standing mode because the iPad 2 & 3 just fell over in it, but I tried it with the Smart Case and it seemed stable, particularly if nudged it feel back in place easily, ok nudging just over 90° it toppled over many cases might I guess.

I'll be curious to see what my wife thinks of it later when she gets home. I'm undecided what ill do with it, I dislike not being able to go in shops and be able to try out the cases properly. Particularly when it's something you live with day in and day out. After some of the gaming I've seen of Amazon reviews I'm hesitant to take rave views for cases from there.

Boob

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
Just got the Smart Cover yesterday and love it. I watched/read reviews on the smart case but I decided not to go for it because of it being a little too loose and prone to stretching. I'll keep the Smart Cover and if I do decide to add back protection I might go for the smart feather. I think I'll be fine without back protection though.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Is that the case with the Apple logo cut out?

I hate cases that has that cut out, makes it look campy..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.